+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric Race? I've got some Questions.

Default Cleric Race Options and Questions

I got a chance to play Rift in Beta 5 (my first time playing) I made a warrior and a cleric. I leveled the warrior to 24 and then my friend finally downloaded the game and we started on a new server. I rolled Cleric, specifically, I rolled a Kelari Cleric.

I chose Kelari because I planned speccing my Cleric in Shaman towards critical hit and critical hit chance ( if you know ANYTHING about racial abilities you know what the Kelari's could aide in this build).

I guess what I'm wondering most is: Is it really worth it? People seem to think the Kelari's racial is OP but after playing it, it really doesn't seem so. I get 3-4 criticals then it starts to dissolve and I have to wait 10 minutes to pop it again. Meanwhile your character looks like an emo/unhealthy little runt elf. That just doesn't appeal to me.

For release I am considering rolling a Bahmi, not only because they aesthetically look better to me but because they're racial passive is -2% damage and their Active ability boost Spell and Attack Power... Let me rephrase that: Spell AND Attack Power, not Spell OR Attack Power but Spell AND Attack power.
    And as you guys might know, Shaman buffs convert Spell Power into Attack Power, this way, the Cleric benefits DOUBLE from the racial. Of course, I haven't tested this myself as I don't want to re-roll in Beta when my Character gets wiped at release. If you have any insight, please let me know.

Based on what I've said, what do you guys think?
    TLDR; Bahmi or Kelari Cleric?
    Last edited by Cheeb; 02-02-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Trying to Install RIFT on Linux? Read my guide! Here:http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ith-Winetricks

"I don't use drugs, I am drugs."

Shadowlander

Racials are probably going to be changing a bit. I wouldn't get all into what race to pick just yet. Although judging by the supposed leaked patch notes, there don't seem to be any, but there is still one more beta after 6. Could happen then.
    Last edited by Dragonfire422; 02-02-2011 at 10:39 PM.

is this the class forum or a wasteland?

bump
    Trying to Install RIFT on Linux? Read my guide! Here:http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ith-Winetricks

As the previous reply said. I don't think its worth worrying about until the game is closer to release. A lot can change between now and then and if the "leaked" patch notes are true than what Race you pick isn't going to matter all that much, the benefits won't really be all that game changing (which IMO is how it should be) If you're looking to get some small benefit from them I'd say choose Ethian (Since you look like you're leaning towards Defiants, if not you can always go with High Elves on the Guardian side)

Best of Luck and Cheers.

They'd already said racials would be undergoing changes before B5 ended, and with the current leaked information that may or may not be a troll, they've been changed in Alpha.

NDA's are a ***** though so we have to wait another day.

Right now, you should be worrying more about this when you see the actual patch notes for B6 from the source, or more than not, when you're rolling your final character in release. That's about the only time this decision is going to matter to be frank. It would be impossible for someone to give you accurate advice atm due to the ever-changing nature of a beta test.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakereject View Post
    They'd already said racials would be undergoing changes before B5 ended, and with the current leaked information that may or may not be a troll, they've been changed in Alpha.

NDA's are a ***** though so we have to wait another day.

Right now, you should be worrying more about this when you see the actual patch notes for B6 from the source, or more than not, when you're rolling your final character in release. That's about the only time this decision is going to matter to be frank. It would be impossible for someone to give you accurate advice atm due to the ever-changing nature of a beta test.
    This. I am not going to worry about it until closer to release. There has even been some whispers on the wind that there will be race/class restrictions (which would stink IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Fuury View Post
    This. I am not going to worry about it until closer to release. There has even been some whispers on the wind that there will be race/class restrictions (which would stink IMO).
    Yeah, that would be horrid. To give people such a broad spectrum of abilities to pick from, then limit them racially would be pretty silly to me.
    Last edited by Quakereject; 02-03-2011 at 02:06 AM.

People shouldn't be making a class around the racials, so you don't become to dependant on them. If they change the High Elf racial, I'm going to be a bit dissapointed, as a full mana regen buff is a god gift for healers, I have other ways to get mana back.

As for the Bahmi racial, there is a trinket does that aswell, even better.

And if you are a shaman, you can get a crit buff aswell, which is better then the Kelari one.

But if you want an opinion, for defiant Kelari, and for Guardian High Elf.

*edit*

This is for how the racials are before beta6
    Last edited by Jazebel; 02-03-2011 at 06:53 AM.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Well I never did any investigating on these so called "leaked" patch notes for beta 6. But I'm updating my client for beta 6 and reading the patch notes... Nothing in there about changing racial abilities. But maybe we wont know until in-game.

Personally, I think changing the racials would SUCK MAJORLY as it impedes your character from a uniquiness that would otherwise be fulfilled by differing racials. The bottom line is that your character benefits from it's racial NO MATTER WHAT race they are. But it is HOW they benefit that makes your character better fit your play style. Screw all you bastards who whined about racials on the forums, if they change them, you have begun to ruin the game. Thanks.

My guess is that if they do change it again, there will be tons of people QQ'ing and whining on the forums yet again about how the racials should be brought back.

It's a never-ending cycle...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeb View Post
    I don't want to re-roll in Beta when my Character gets wiped at release. If you have any insight, please let me know.
    TLDR; Bahmi or Kelari Cleric?
    Well that is what beta is for, to roll and reroll until you find what you'd like to stick with. That and testing the game to let the devs know of needed changes. Plus as other have pointed out racials are likely changing.

"Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
    -Isaac Asimov

imo, the racials (like you said, 10 min cooldown) are just to give flavor, not to be the main course of your char. its almost more of part of the storyline than extra abilities.

AS SUCH! I plan on ignoring the patch notes etc till I make my final character, then picking the one that looks the best. but form what I know now, i am actually kinda leaning towards eth as a healbot cleric with the 25% max hp shield thing-a-ma-bob

but prolly just looks hehe >.>

+ Reply to Thread