+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cone heals anyone?

Default Cone heals anyone?

I've been toying with playing a healer, but to my dismay, there are no cone heals that I could see, or anything other mechanic that would make healing all that interesting. I mean, figuring out if you have the casting time, mana, etc for different heals is fun and all, but why not reward those that can move around while doing so?

Anyway, other classes (ex. warrior) have cone damage abilities, so why not give the clerics a heal or two?

btw, I'm all for cone, area of effect, affect in straight line between you and target, etc type abilities in all classes. Utilizing your position is something lost on many MMOs and makes for more stagnant gameplay.

Thoughts?
    @tamgros, tamgros on youtube...

Casting hots lets you move around while casting - I haven't looked into it much, but don't any of the healing souls use hots? Cone casting (while fun) is often a not very effective way to heal imo

How does this thread pertain to hots in any way? He's talking about utilizing your position, MEANING standing in the right places at the right times, NOT having more maneuverability.

No cone element i've seen as of yet. Would be an interesting mechanic that is true.
    God : Defiant - 50 Cleric - Deepstrike (PVP)

Quote Originally Posted by Shablo5 View Post
    How does this thread pertain to hots in any way? He's talking about utilizing your position, MEANING standing in the right places at the right times, NOT having more maneuverability.
    Quote Originally Posted by tamgros View Post
    but why not reward those that can move around while doing so?
    I understand what he was talking about in the main, i was referring to that part. And why on earth would you be so rude about it?

It would certainly be situational. It would be useless in fights where you have to spread out. But it would certainly increase your options, and I'm all for that, even if it would be something I'd never use.
    All the cool kids put the specs on their rig here, so I'll use this space to tell you my computer sucks.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Thax View Post
    It would certainly be situational. It would be useless in fights where you have to spread out. But it would certainly increase your options, and I'm all for that, even if it would be something I'd never use.
    would be something situational at best but I for one also am always for having more choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyhana View Post
    Casting hots lets you move around while casting - I haven't looked into it much, but don't any of the healing souls use hots? Cone casting (while fun) is often a not very effective way to heal imo
    Yes, plenty of HoTs. And it's not just the ability to cast spells and move around, which is obviously necessary in PvP and OMG fire in the floor! PvE. I'm just saying adding a few more wrinkles would be nice. Maybe just have an AoE healing soul?

Quote Originally Posted by Thax View Post
    Right, but if you're in a good group, your group would adjust their tactics based on the abilities/souls of the group. So yeah, I agree, MOAR tactices rool!

I'm perfectly happy with Rift playing as a Warrior, I get plenty of movement, cone abilities, etc. Sorry if this came off as a troll thread. I'm simply not excited about playing a healer as it appears Rift rewards healers who are good at remaining in a single good position (and using CCs effectively) to get off longer casting/bigger heals, they aren't rewarding healers that are able to move around the battlefield, except for LoS purposes. You know, nothing wrong with that gameplay, or the skill involved, I just wish I had the option to be an effective movement/positional healer aspect as well.

The strength of the cone heal would be akin to the larger AoE heals that have longer casting times, the cone heals would be easier to cast on the move with a insta cast and the caster would have to be in a good position to make them more effective.
    Last edited by tamgros; 02-02-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    @tamgros, tamgros on youtube...

I think you would like a Warden/Purifier build. Lots of HoTs and shields allow you to stay on the move and be a preventative healer instead of reactionary.

Rift Master

There are some of the "also heals x nearby targets" where target selection will have an effect but no specific "heal this area" type things. Personally I'm ok with that as adding "keep track of location of every raid member" to the list of other things healers have to do isn't something I find in any way compelling.

Rift Disciple

Collision detection would also add to things and I think doors/indoor environments.

Cone heals would be sexy. Single target and circular aoe heals get so boring after a while.

cone and line spells are more appropriate for an action mmo like DCUO or Champions

I actually agree with the OP. If there were cone heals this would def. help separate the good healers from the great ones especially if the cone heals were good enough to make a decent impact. It would also make it so that healers had some more challenge. I'd love something like that to explore with.

"Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
    -Isaac Asimov

Plane Touched

Yes, instant cast cone heals all day please.

I was surprised to see how similar Purifier and Sentinel are. Sure, they've got seperate utilities but their healing mechanics are nearly identical.

When you hear 'Purifier' does anyone else think about cone based AoE fire heals ?

Enough of these little candle light vigil heals. We need to see some blazing glory, universal studios back draft, out of control flame thrower while running around the map type heals. Now that is a desired play style for competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonchron View Post
    out of control flame thrower while running around the map type heals. Now that is a desired play style for competitors.
    Hell yes please

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast