+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Justicar Block Idea

Default Justicar Block Idea

Maybe this was posted somewhere, maybe not. I haven't seen it so I'm giving it a thread for people to chatter on.

I really want the Justicar tank to work just as well as my beloved Rifstalker and Reaver/Warlord/Paladin.. thing. Based on that and feedback I've seen so far it could be a rough path for Justicar's in the long run due to the very low blocking numbers. So below is my idea on how to "fix" this and get Justicars into the sword and board arena for end game tanking.

Blocking is based off of Strength currently. Which is all fine and dandy until you check out Chain armor and items and see that Strength is not something commonly found or in large numbers. Based on that I would propose a change to the Justicar's ability Mien of Leadership.

If we change Mien of Leadership by adding in the following I belive it would beging solving the current blocking quandry.
    Mien of Leadership
    Gives the Cleric a ruler's bearing, increasing the Cleric's threat generation by 100% and Endurance by 80%. It also increases the Cleric's Block, Parry, Dodge and Block Rating by 130%. While also increasing Block value by the Cleric's Spell Power and each blocked point of damage is returned to the Cleric as mana. Reduces all healing done except by Salvation, Reparation and Reprieve by 40%. Reduces all damage done by 40%. Only 1 Mien can be active at a time, lasts 1 hour.

So what this does is gives tanking Clerics the tools they need to not only justify using a shield, but also gives them the ability to regenerate mana in combat passively, but only while being hit. The reason to make this a proc on block, is to avoid any possible abuse that would otherwise give a Justicar an unfair mana regeneration advantage in non-tanking scenarios.

I also think this is a realistic change as it doesn't require a new ability, buttons to manage, etc. This is a just an addition to give Cleric's the tools they need to Block like other tanks and have the mana for long fights and chain pulling.

What does everyone think of a change like this?
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Bump!?

With all the talk around Justicars I figured this would be a prevelant concern, maybe I'm wrong?
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Soulwalker

Default a good idea but...

I would much rather see a choice of gear with a range of stats, not every healer sould needs or wants the same 2 stats on every item.

Quote Originally Posted by Aithe View Post
    I would much rather see a choice of gear with a range of stats, not every healer sould needs or wants the same 2 stats on every item.
    That would mean they'll have to rework all the armour for the other callings aswell.

I don't mind really that all chain has most of the stats we need on them, and none of the others. That way people can't complain how weak their character is, while they might be using chain with melee stats on a healing role.

As for the idea, I like it, a simple change to mein of leadership is fine. However the added mana regen, no, seems a bit too much, just keep commitment so we still have to invest 5 points instead of 1 point.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Ore

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    Bump!?

With all the talk around Justicars I figured this would be a prevelant concern, maybe I'm wrong?
    It's because we've been beating ourselves up in my thread (see sig file) discussing exactly the same thing. You might find my proposed solutions interesting as well. Sounds like you and I and many others want the same thing- for block to actually mitigate dmg.

Cheers,

-Ore
    "Don't leave the spawn area! It's the only safe haven we have from those angry pigmies!!!"

-Anonymous Defiant in a WF

Telaran

Blocking already regens mana via Commitment. No need to make it part of Mein of Leadership unless it ends up getting removed.

Tying Block Value to one of the stats we actually have though, I think, would be enough. Not spell power, that is much higher numerically than base attributes are (as far as I can tell). Link it to WIS, INT, or END instead.

It was noticed by a lot of people that clerics blocked no damage, so I get the feeling they may have already put in a change that we'll see during Beta 6. If not, we can just swamp them with feedback on it.
    Last edited by Tryble; 02-02-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ore View Post
    It's because we've been beating ourselves up in my thread (see sig file) discussing exactly the same thing. You might find my proposed solutions interesting as well. Sounds like you and I and many others want the same thing- for block to actually mitigate dmg.

Cheers,

-Ore
    Gasp, that means all of us sane people are in Norcal!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    That would mean they'll have to rework all the armour for the other callings aswell.
    Or offer an NPC that lets you pay to re-allocate your stats, it just seems that gear itemization was an after thought.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    If we change Mien of Leadership by adding in the following I belive it would beging solving the current blocking quandry.
    Mien of Leadership
    Gives the Cleric a ruler's bearing, increasing the Cleric's threat generation by 100% and Endurance by 80%. It also increases the Cleric's Block, Parry, Dodge and Block Rating by 130%. While also increasing Block value by the Cleric's Spell Power and each blocked point of damage is returned to the Cleric as mana. Reduces all healing done except by Salvation, Reparation and Reprieve by 40%. Reduces all damage done by 40%. Only 1 Mien can be active at a time, lasts 1 hour.

What does everyone think of a change like this?
    +1 to your proposed changes to Mien. I've been a cleric since beta 2, and in beta 5 finally got going on the tanking role.

Quote Originally Posted by Aithe View Post
    Not a fan (and haven't been in other MMOs) of needing to stockpile bags full of gear depending on the situation. While I understand and find it acceptable to swap out a few pieces (shield for totem, different trinket, etc.), I would hate to need 3 sets of gear for healing, dps, and tanking as a cleric.

Ore

Quote Originally Posted by Smox View Post
    +1 to your proposed changes to Mien. I've been a cleric since beta 2, and in beta 5 finally got going on the tanking role.

Not a fan (and haven't been in other MMOs) of needing to stockpile bags full of gear depending on the situation. While I understand and find it acceptable to swap out a few pieces (shield for totem, different trinket, etc.), I would hate to need 3 sets of gear for healing, dps, and tanking as a cleric.

As I stated in my thread (see sig file), the best solution I can see is to make the correction in "Valor", so that it also increase our block value and not just our block rating against our SP (which is calculated against our WIS). I can deal with our shield AC value being on average 2/3's lower than a warriors- I can't however justify trying to tank if my blocking is little more than eye candy and I still get pounded for all but a point or two of the dmg.

-Ore
    "Don't leave the spawn area! It's the only safe haven we have from those angry pigmies!!!"

-Anonymous Defiant in a WF

+ Reply to Thread