+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inquisitor/Justicar

Default Inquisitor/Justicar

So I've been trying to find a good combo for a caster/melee hybrid (but predominantly caster). Someone who could attack their opponents at range and finish them off in melee. What do you think about this build :

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00....gucoV0oz.xx0M

I'm aware that playing a hybrid is not encouraged, but I'm willing to give it a shot regardless and Justicar/Inquisitor seem to have at least some synergy.

Or perhaps this would be better?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00....gucoV0oz.eozk

I like the idea of your second build (I'm not fond of the PvP souls in general). There are a few things I'd consider/change.

1) I would invest a point in Armor of Devotion for the additional chance to crit...probably taking the point out of Lethargy to get it if I couldn't finagle that point from somewhere else.

2) I wouldn't invest the 3 points in Righteous Burden. Inquisitor has a 1 sec casting time snare in Impede, and if you take the 3 points out of this talent, you can grab Armor of Devotion without sacrificing Lethargy, thereby giving you another snare that does damage (even if it is channeled). The balance of your points can then go into Light Concentration or Light Efficiency to make sure you keep the Sentinel group heal @ 12.

Everything else looks good in the context you're looking for. I'm considering a similar build, even with the possibility of trying to work the Life and Death Accord angle (we'll see on that one). In my limited testing of my current build, it is immensely fun and I don't feel overly limited in what I can do. I can nuke. I have a metric crapload of instants. I can heal modestly. I can melee. I can even off-tank in a pinch. It's definitely my kind of character and is about the closest thing to a true hybrid I've run so far.

Here's my build idea, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Enigmatik1J; 02-02-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    Kakimushire, Ashisogi Jizo!
    The High Inquisitor of <Crusade>
    Harrow Server

Rift Disciple

Personally I don't see it working. My thought behind making a Hybrid like this work is you want to be hard to kill at range while still putting out decent DPS. Then kind of tricking people into engaging close range where you put even more hurt on them.

You went the opposite, maybe it's just the way you plan to play it. You lose survivability at range because most of your healing relies on having to be in melee because Justicar can't heal if not in melee(you won't gain conviction at range). Up close you don't put out as much DPS as other melee's because Justicar is more or a tank.

If I were to do it I would go Druid as my melee, they are already a bit of a Hybrid in that soul. That way you get some healing potential without having to be in melee, you get decent DPS at melee range stacked with your Inq DPS. So when targets decide to engage at close range you have a surprise for them. You don't lose much survivability at melee range but make up for it with quiet a bit more DPS.

All of this is from a PvP point of view though. Since you didn't specify I am not sure what your plan is. If you are thinking from a PvE stand point then Justicar is probably better because you know all targets will engage into melee or you can engage yourself into melee. Then you can tank more an just DoT them all.
    Edit: I assumed PvP because of the PvP soul.
    Last edited by Orikx; 02-02-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Thank you for your feedback, guys.

Enigmatik1J: I think you're right on both counts, I will make those changes. But I'd pick "Light Makes it Right" from the Justicar (more on that later) and invest in "Fanatic's Faith".

Orikx: Yeah, it could work the other way round, but I like this playstyle (somewhat similar to an elementalist shaman from WoW or the assault Shadow Warrior for WAR). I'm trying to find a way to emulate it and to be competetive

As for the conviction : Wouldn't Justicar's "Light Makes it Right" grant me it even with ranged life spells?

I plan to primarily play this character in PvP, yeah.

Revised build : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00....xucoVboz.xxzo
    Last edited by Baharroth; 02-02-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Soulwalker

Conviction is gained from ANY life ability, be it ranged or melee. I tried Inq/just out in beta 5 and it did pretty well for me except that i played him mostly as a ranged dps. This is the build for these souls I'm aiming for at 50.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...MtRtk.VuMo.Vmz

Wow...epic fail on my part. I totally missed Light Makes Right. Ugh...I crit alot on my baby version of this build, so I could see that ability being extremely useful.

Surprisingly, I like your build Garge. No offense meant in the slightest, I just don't have much love for the Purifier at the moment but I admit to not having tried it since Beta1. I just wish Spirit Rupture was instant...blarg! Fiery Kinship is a great supplemental piece to working Life and Death Accord for casting Bolt of Judgment (which you also made faster). Good calls abound thus far in this thread.

Edit: related question...are Justicar melee abilities considered spells for the purposes of Inner Focus?
    Last edited by Enigmatik1J; 02-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Harrow Server

When I look at the inquisitor class I only see mediocure DPS. Now I havent played one yet but even compared to the nurfed and ruined cabilist the DPS seems quite higher and I still dont see much attraction to the inquiz class. But I would like to hear from people who have played them in pvp.
    I was poppin' SoW's and dropping skels in Unrest back when you WoW babies were still sucking milk from your momma's tit.

Shadowlander

I too epxperimenting with inw justicar, i try to make a chloro like build, i have sentinel for more heal light shard for more conviction generator, and healing grace to at least have one castable heal.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatik1J View Post
    Wow...epic fail on my part. I totally missed Light Makes Right. Ugh...I crit alot on my baby version of this build, so I could see that ability being extremely useful.

Surprisingly, I like your build Garge. No offense meant in the slightest, I just don't have much love for the Purifier at the moment but I admit to not having tried it since Beta1. I just wish Spirit Rupture was instant...blarg! Fiery Kinship is a great supplemental piece to working Life and Death Accord for casting Bolt of Judgment (which you also made faster). Good calls abound thus far in this thread.

Edit: related question...are Justicar melee abilities considered spells for the purposes of Inner Focus?
    No, Justicar melee abilities are not considered spells for the purposes of Inner Focus.
    Purifier was taken for the self shield and Healing Blessing. Also it works for RP purpose as the flame that creates both the light and dark that make up the Inq.

Quote Originally Posted by Garge View Post
    No, Justicar melee abilities are not considered spells for the purposes of Inner Focus.
    Purifier was taken for the self shield and Healing Blessing. Also it works for RP purpose as the flame that creates both the light and dark that make up the Inq.
    Thanks for the clarity (and i like the RP idea).

Another consideration for 3rd soul is Warden for those who may have missed it. Sure, you miss out on the obvious synergies via Life based damage stacking available in Sentinel (or Purifier), but those 12 points, which seem to be the normal of us here, could go into:

5/5 Destructive Tide: Increasing the damage of instant spells (which we have tons of) by 10%
    5/5 Fluidity: Increase the healing of your heal over time spells by 10% (which MAY help with Vex/Contempt...can anyone confirm/deny?)
    2/3 Surging Rapids: Increase the effectiveness of your instant cast heals by 15% (derp...all of our heals are instant).

I'm not sure which would be better. I think Sentinel is better in full group/zerg situations. Warden better in solo/small group.
    Harrow Server

Yeah, this could be interesting, Enigmatik1J.

I wonder how potent would Shards of Light be with just 12 points in the tree be anyway?
    As in would we even use the Sentinel's attacks at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Baharroth View Post
    Yeah, this could be interesting, Enigmatik1J.

I wonder how potent would Shards of Light be with just 12 points in the tree be anyway?
    As in would we even use the Sentinel's attacks at all?
    Good question. I'm not sure, I never really worked SoL into my rotation primarily because I didn't need another channel. I imagine it could definitely be useful, but how useful remains to be seen in my eyes.
    Harrow Server

Shadowlander

i forgot to link the build i thinking
    here: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10....VusoVhkzz.x0z

Default Melee support cleric

I am playing a Justi/Inq/Druid build right now and have been doing quite well in PVP. Usually in the top 2 for both healing and damage which is sweet. For the next beta I will be dropping druid as the pet is poo in PVP and adding in Sentinel. 16 points in justicar for doctrine of righteousness, 2 in inquisistor for sanction herectic, 2 in sentinel for life's vengeance.

This setup is effective as you have both a combination of ranged and melee light spells for building conviction. All of which are insta cast. I macro all light attacks to a single button and this ensures that I always will have the ability to generate conviction as long as an enemy player is in range. Ranged spells fire first and by that time i am in melee range and start swinging with strike of judgement.

The real benefit of this build is that you have an insane ability to keep yourself and one other specifically designated player alive via righteous mandate. You can aoe heal, but this dumps your mana like a truck. Team with a warrior or rogue and you two become a slaughter machine. Granted this is in the lower brackets and it appears that your dps will ultimately suffer as levels increase, but your utility continues to shine. With points spread evenly across all three souls you get more efficient heals, mana replenishment and purge, and damage reduction buffs.

I am excited to see how this continues to play out but take everything with a grain of salt as there are many new changes coming with Beta 6 that could make or break this build.

DeliciousTea : What is your primary source of damage? Melee or casting?

How good do you find your melee capability?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast