+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official Shaman Theory-Crafting Thread (BETA)

Default The Official Shaman Theory-Crafting Thread (BETA)

The (semi) Official Shaman Theory-Crafting Thread (BETA)
    Post any builds you have that use Shaman as the root class.

Updated for Beta 6!

In the forums current state, there are a lot of great ideas floating around, but in this unorganized chaos it is hard to find them. This thread is meant to help consolidate traffic and filter only Shaman relevant content into a single, focused thread.

Use this thread to run your builds by the community, critique others (constructively) and discuss the Shaman class and how you plan to play it, which souls you are going to combine with it, etc.

Trion has not yet released a talent calculator. Until such time as they create one, use the talent calculator in the link below to create your builds.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00___

I don't know how official this is, but meh ; p

BETA 5 Discussion
    Recently I created a thread about a Shaman build I had made, trying to get some feedback on it. From the responses, I can garner that there is no "perfect" Shaman build. Now I know the RIFT class system was designed to be flexible and have no wrong way of building a character, but Clerics, and Shamans in particular seem more flexible than others.

Here is my 11/44/11 Wadren/Shaman/Justicar build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...VqeusGsIk.xuzo

Essentially, this spec helps boost the survivability and solo ability of the shaman. When playing with a group, some damage is sacrificed for group utility. Self healing, through instant cast and auto-healing will make this Shaman very formidable PvE wise. Honestly, I have no idea how it will turn out in PvP until I can test it.
    End Beta 5.

BETA 6

Here's the patch notes most pertinent to the Shaman class:
    General Changes:
    * Increased the base damage for all Attack Power-based abilities.
    * Auto-attack no longer benefits from Attack Power.
    * There should now be a much smaller difference in damage done with abilities using a fast weapon versus a slow one. This sounds minor but is actually a high impact change!

Shaman specific changes:
    * Overwhelming: Now directly increases your Critical Hit damage/healing bonus by 4-20%.
    * Thick Skinned: Moved to a tier 1 branch ability. Now takes up to 3 points, reducing the damage you receive by 1-3%.
    * Favored of the Valnir: Moved to a tier 2 branch ability. Now takes up to 2 points, increasing healing received by 5-10%.
    * Unstoppable Force: Removed.
    * Endless Winter: Moved to a tier 5 branch ability. Now takes up to 2 points, causing Critical Hits with melee attack abilities to restore 2-4% mana.
    * Hailstones: Removed.
    * Long Memory: Moved to a tier 3 branch ability. Now takes up to 5 points, granting Crushing Blow a 6-30% chance to reset the cooldown of Massive Blow.
    * Lust for Blood: Now takes up to 5 points, increasing the damage of the next melee attack ability after a Critical Hit by 6-30%.
    * Stormborn: Now a tier 4 branch ability. Takes up to 5 points, increases Lightning Hammer's Air damage by 6-30%.
    * Call of Ice: Now a 36 point root ability. Increases melee damage by 5%, plus an additional 3% per point spent in Shaman above 36.
    * Rage of the North: No longer triggers global cooldown. Lasts 7 seconds, works on all melee attacks, and has a 1 minute, 30 second cooldown.
    * Vengeance of the Winter Storm: Lowered base damage.
    * Frozen Embrace: Now takes up to 5 points, increasing Massive Blow's chance to Critically Hit by 6-30%.
    * Lightning Hammer: Now has a 6 second cooldown.

The patch notes for beta 6 in they're entirety can be found here:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...h-Notes-2-3-11
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    Shaman, and melee cleric in general have had a pretty big overhaul in this current build.

Because AP no longer affects auto-attacks, we're going to have to be using our offensive strikes as much as possible. Using a GCD for anything besides attacking is now going to create a serious DPS drop if used too much. This means we're going to have to watch our mana carefully, as being OOM will cause our dps to greatly suffer.

Abilities:
    However, there are some interesting changes here:
    * Call of Ice: Now a 36 point root ability. Increases melee damage by 5%, plus an additional 3% per point spent in Shaman above 36.

This is a great ability. Now there's even more incentive to get to 44 points in the shaman soul. Before, many of the top tier abilities were relatively lackluster, and most Shaman builds went 44 points to get the root abilities. Call of Ice will now make these points more worthwhile.
    NOTE: I'm not sure if the bonus is additive or multiplicative, but either way its a nice buff.

Vengeance of the Winter Storm has been nerfed, and the Talent Hailstones has been removed. This might be good in the long run though, is there's anything I've learned about MMO's is that its not good for classes to have certain abilities that define their combat prowess. With Vengance of the Winter Storm nerfed, Trion can balance our other abilities.

As a class, Shamans were always dependent on Mana, and nowadays that dependency is being felt stronger than ever.
    None of the secondary or tertiary souls have mana recovery talents that are low enough in the tree for us to spend extra points on. Our only mana recovery talent right now is Endless Winter, which when maxed 2/2 will give us 4% mana on a melee crit. Endless Winter coupled with Rage of the North however will essentially give us the ability to refill our mana bar to max every 1 1/2 minutes, so any mana problems may be alleviated at higher levels.

Don't forget, most abilities are balanced around end-game, so the effectiveness of our paltry level 35's are not indicative of the gameplay at level 50.

Stats:
    Our main stats to focus on, as I see it are: Hit Wisdom and Int. Having 3 stats that are all very important is going to be hard for us to itemize. Most of our talents are built around scoring crits, if we don't crit our damage and mana recovery is gimped. In addition, our largest dps increases come from scoring a crit.

Hit is equally important, it wont matter if you have all the crit in the world if you can hit the mob. I may just be crazy, but it seems like mobs are more evasive than Beta 5, and I've had to switch a few of my planar gems from wisdom and Int to Hit.

Wisdom is still important because it provides bonuses to mana regen, and with our courage spells converts some spell crit to melee crit, so Wisdom is our mana regen and crit talent.

Intelligence is very similar to wisdom, only instead of increasing our mana regen and crit, it boosts our maximum mana pool and our AP (With Courage of the Jaguar / Eagle).

Remember everyone, Nerfs and Buffs are a seesaw. Nerfing an ability can lead to more useful abilities getting buffed, and while it's hard to know whats going to happen in the future, a Nerf could be a blessing (or a buff ;p) in disguise! This is still beta, changes are NOT final, and are likely not indicative of the class when it premiers during launch.

Good luck Shamans! Post your new thoughts and builds for Beta 6!
    (Beta 6 discussion begins on page 4, pages 1 through 5 are Beta 5 discussion)

EDIT - I was reading the forums, and found the thread below very informative. Check it out to see why you may be less potent in combat as BETA 5.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ics-are-broken
    Last edited by Sielys; 02-06-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    The hero no one has been waiting for.

Rift Disciple

does warden's destructive tide apply to shaman's instant melee attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaurosis View Post
    does warden's destructive tide apply to shaman's instant melee attacks?
    No, Destructive Tide only affects abilities that benefits from Spellpower. Shaman's instant melee attacks use Attack Power in their damage formula.
    Last edited by Sielys; 02-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Soulwalker

we should wait for the updated soul planner before posting builds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
    we should wait for the updated soul planner before posting builds!!!
    Derp, I completely forgot about that. When is it going to update again?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sielys View Post
    No, Destructive Tide only affects abilities that benefits from Spellpower. Shaman's instant melee attacks use Attack Power in their damage formula.
    so the shaman melee attacks do not count as "spells." meaning we can't use the inquisitor tree's critical strike talents for "damaging spells"

bummer

Rift Disciple

This spec looks pretty fun:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...rcsk.Vgx0h0tLo

Both sham and druid 31 pt talents lol. Totally skipped most of the buffs from shaman and utility from druid so I guess you could call it a pure dps focused build for max dmg.

This spec has all the raid buffs and utility, including the courage of eagle...plus just enough for imp. eruption of life in druid. There is no 3rd soul so can switch for whatever, warden for hot/instant is what i had default:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...xdsrsIk.Vgxoho

Few talents in druid/sham might be getting changed I heard so we'll see.

The shaman powers past Maelstrom seem kind of lack luster to me, so I removed some points to get Righteous Mandate & Even Justice + Vengeful Justice.

I can only imagine what popping Rage of the North then Even Justice & Maelstrom....enormous heals!

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...xuoGsck.xuzoVh

For the next beta, how about this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rna.x.EVx00Rcck.Vx

You get the 31 point ability in Shaman, and as much +crit/+dmg from Druid/Just as I could fit.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Belis View Post
    For the next beta, how about this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rna.x.EVx00Rcck.Vx

You get the 31 point ability in Shaman, and as much +crit/+dmg from Druid/Just as I could fit.
    i was thinking something along those lines also but i'd wait to see what the new patch will do the shaman tree. if it really is true what the leaked notes said, then there is much incentive to dump as much as possible into the shammy tree

Telaran

I like the OP build but i think if your going to take warden you have to get 20 pts for hots. I dont recall if you said PvP or PvE build, so in PvP case id drop the 3 pts in Hailstones, 5 pts from overwhelming, and the 1 pt shared purpose. For PvE first id switch the 5 from overwhelming and drop them into Dauntless Courage (garunteed dmg trumps potential dmg any day especially in PvE), Id lose the 1pt charge, the 3 for thick skinned, and the 3 for favored, and a gain the 3 from hailstones.

I dont like hailstones in general as i think you should be using either the snare vengeance or the mana vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by serephant View Post
    I like the OP build but i think if your going to take warden you have to get 20 pts for hots. I dont recall if you said PvP or PvE build, so in PvP case id drop the 3 pts in Hailstones, 5 pts from overwhelming, and the 1 pt shared purpose. For PvE first id switch the 5 from overwhelming and drop them into Dauntless Courage (garunteed dmg trumps potential dmg any day especially in PvE), Id lose the 1pt charge, the 3 for thick skinned, and the 3 for favored, and a gain the 3 from hailstones.

I dont like hailstones in general as i think you should be using either the snare vengeance or the mana vengeance.
    With B6 just around the corner ( lawdy lawd, why can't it be friday already?) this spec will change, and some things you touched on won't be there to be worried bout if what I've read is true.

Quote Originally Posted by serephant View Post

I think you you need at least 18 in warden as well, I mean you may not have to be a party healer but you kind of owe it to your guild to be able to rez people at least IMO.
    I was poppin' SoW's and dropping skels in Unrest back when you WoW babies were still sucking milk from your momma's tit.

I really can't wait for the updated trees to be released. My theory-crafting itch needs scratching, and using what i know are outdated trees makes it worse!

With the constant changes it's not as easy to make a build, but you can however discuss certain aspects of it.

Untill I see the pre release notes, I'll be playing around with my builds, but will allways try and keep the basics.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast