+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: A New Twist to Melee DPS Cleric PvP

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    24

    Default A New Twist to Melee DPS Cleric PvP

    I'll preface this with the fact that I have only been in one beta and spent very few hours in that. Only leveled to 20.

    However, I am a 5-time Rank One Arena PvP player, 3 times as retribution paladin 2 times as holy, and have been gladiator on many toons.

    There's no way for me to not think of this build as overpowered:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...sIk.Vx.VGxzu0z

    It provides 100% of the Shaman's Single target minus perhaps the 44 pt Courage that you would gain a good bit from, it gives Purge, Cleanse, and root breaks and immunities with charge and the ability to HoT and Offheal very effectively (with a CD that makes all your hots affect aoe), it gives shields and autocast HoTs with multiple healing Cds, off the gcd ranged snares and multiple ranged DoTs.

    The one thing it seems to lack is a huge amount of damage reduction. This is somewhat mitigated by Shaman's Heart spells and shields with autocast HoTs and whatnot, but some points could potentially be switched around in the Shaman Tree to make up for this.

    This is the best spec I've been able to make in 1-2 hours for Melee Cleric PvP.

    Thoughts? ---p.s. I'll be gone for about 8-9 hours after this initial post and will comment further when I return.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    And now add the PvP soul to your scheme....

    Builds like this will not really work in PvP wihtout atleast 15 points in the PvP soul

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Deadly Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Did some diffrent things to what you had, gave the shaman a bit more survivability, and put a little focus into the instant dots you get to give them a little more bite, for those players that will kite you. Made sure to take the anti root/snare from warden since your a melee class and kept your group utility and DPS, for the most part.

    Tell me if you like it: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...k.VLkh.VGxzu0z

    Bah, damn ZAM is giving me a hard time posting the build im suggesting for you.

    Ok, well I dont have time atm to figure out what I did wrong, so basically your shaman tree stayed the same, but I focused on the crit activated abilities and also adding the increased heal% for healing recieved, and the heal on crit/mana return. Spending only 31 points into shaman
    Last edited by Deadly Dad; 02-02-2011 at 09:18 AM.

  4. #4
    Telaran LordGrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordbachus View Post
    And now add the PvP soul to your scheme....

    Builds like this will not really work in PvP wihtout atleast 15 points in the PvP soul
    the devs have said in interviews and on the rift pod cast that the pvp soul wont be a must and some of the best pvpers amongst the devs dont even use the pvp soul.

    now this is still beta so you could be right or wrong but i dont think they will make all pvpers have to take the pvp soul.
    cleric: my cleric build:warden/inquis/sent, My lvl 35 build for end of beta 6: ward/inquis/sent
    Great cleric guide By EmilB , Great cleric info By vi3L
    Mage: My mage build
    Great tank thread buy kikaku

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    this build from OP is not that good

    only just a few thing:
    1. min. 36+ pts in shaman are needed for descent dmg
    2. Contempt(from Inq) is needed for the heals from vex

    but i would not take inq + shaman at all

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
    this build from OP is not that good

    only just a few thing:
    1. min. 36+ pts in shaman are needed for descent dmg
    2. Contempt(from Inq) is needed for the heals from vex

    but i would not take inq + shaman at all
    But then maybe the OP has a totally different tactic in mind then you.....

  7. #7
    Plane Touched Rajster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    this build from OP is not that good

    only just a few thing:
    1. min. 36+ pts in shaman are needed for descent dmg
    2. Contempt(from Inq) is needed for the heals from vex

    but i would not take inq + shaman at all
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but just remember what works for him may not work for you or someone else. And besides any posted build prior to beta 6 is pointless since things are getting changed anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by lordbachus View Post
    But then maybe the OP has a totally different tactic in mind then you.....
    Exactly. Which is the beauty of this game.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default one thing

    To the OP

    Your build looks fine, take what you want for your playstyle. There is just one thing i can think of that you're lacking: a mana regen. If you get low or get a voidknight on your *** it could be a pain, but then again I don't know if you're going solo or group or whatever your plan is. Just something you might have to take into consideration (the mana regen in inq is pretty good but it's channeled QQ)

    Edit:

    Maybe take a point from Overwhelming for the inq mana regen?
    Last edited by Dirtbag; 02-02-2011 at 01:04 PM.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordbachus View Post
    And now add the PvP soul to your scheme....

    Builds like this will not really work in PvP wihtout atleast 15 points in the PvP soul
    Sounds more like opinion than fact.

    Myself, I see nothing worth getting in the PvP soul to justify losing what you gain from the other two.

    You get a 4m trinket (with talents) from PvP soul. I can cleanse with my Warden to give my allies 29472372 free trinkets and I can break roots and keep IMMUNIITY (The what, 25-40pt talent in PvP soul, not checking.)

    As far as your arbitrary '15' goes, the skill you get at 15 pts isn't worth much - it's a casted heal which my Warden should probably have plenty of better choices anyway.

    You get 15% reduction from spell damage and 15% reduced crit. While these do suck to lose, as an Inquisitor I'll be able to purge my enemies' buffs as well as do more damage to them in return.

    It all really depends on how many targets are attacking me. In as much as 3v3 situations I would stick with Purge - and if they aren't on me I'd stick with purge.

    It really depends on how much damage ---especially of the spell sort is going around late game.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
    this build from OP is not that good

    only just a few thing:
    1. min. 36+ pts in shaman are needed for descent dmg
    2. Contempt(from Inq) is needed for the heals from vex

    but i would not take inq + shaman at all
    36 points is arbitrary. There is no skill in the roots at 36 points - and all but maybe 1 of the single target damage talents and activated abilities have been taken. There are no damage increasing talents worth taking points out of Inquisitor for (esp with loss of Purge) and certainly nothing worth losing offhealing abilities in Warden for.

    Why do heals from Vex matter? I have other means of healing in Warden.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    To the OP

    Your build looks fine, take what you want for your playstyle. There is just one thing i can think of that you're lacking: a mana regen. If you get low or get a voidknight on your *** it could be a pain, but then again I don't know if you're going solo or group or whatever your plan is. Just something you might have to take into consideration (the mana regen in inq is pretty good but it's channeled QQ)

    Edit:

    Maybe take a point from Overwhelming for the inq mana regen?
    This was my main concern with this build - since no one that I know has played late game I'm not sure how huge mana is. Likely I'd be a Guardian High Elf so the racial would help immensely. There is a Heart for Mana Regen that you can easily get a full mana bar back if you spam a few cleave abilities. I assume with later skills it'll give everything back within a few short seconds.

    So if mana is good with just those or if I have a partner that restores mana it should be alright...otherwise I'd either name those classes counters or see how well Aggressive Renewal works.

    This is all just speculation ---however I forgot to add that I have a silence and knockback as well.

    The list is so huge!

  12. #12
    Telaran Honze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heratli View Post
    36 points is arbitrary. There is no skill in the roots at 36 points - and all but maybe 1 of the single target damage talents and activated abilities have been taken. There are no damage increasing talents worth taking points out of Inquisitor for (esp with loss of Purge) and certainly nothing worth losing offhealing abilities in Warden for.

    Why do heals from Vex matter? I have other means of healing in Warden.
    There isn't a skill at 36 root right now, but if the leaked notes are true, there sure will be. Sort of crazy even considering all these builds now when there seems to be some pretty big changes on the horizon.
    Currently playing RiftQueue.

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    51

    Default

    I have to say I hadn't thought about inquisitor as a secondary soul for purge, but now that I think about it I like it..

    I would drop warden points to 18 and up shaman to 38..
    Why?
    Ripple is high mana, and very situational..
    Soothing stream is weak at 1st hot, very strong at 4th, keeping it up will be a burden..

    ou don't need unbound steps with shaman charge..

    Lets take the worst case scenario here:
    1) you charge 0.00 / cd starts 15 sec
    2) you get rooted 1.50 / cd 13.5*
    3) you hit dissolution 3.00 / cd 12sec
    4) dissolution wears of 11.00 / cd left 4sec
    5) you get rooted 12.50 / cd left 2.5 sec**

    * instant root presumed
    **reaction time 1.5sec for all
    Last edited by Vihor; 02-03-2011 at 12:58 AM.

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vihor View Post
    I have to say I hadn't thought about inquisitor as a secondary soul for purge, but now that I think about it I like it..

    I would drop warden points to 18 and up shaman to 38..
    Why?
    Ripple is high mana, and very situational..
    Soothing stream is weak at 1st hot, very strong at 4th, keeping it up will be a burden..

    ou don't need unbound steps with shaman charge..

    Lets take the worst case scenario here:
    1) you charge 0.00 / cd starts 15 sec
    2) you get rooted 1.50 / cd 13.5*
    3) you hit dissolution 3.00 / cd 12sec
    4) dissolution wears of 11.00 / cd left 4sec
    5) you get rooted 12.50 / cd left 2.5 sec**

    * instant root presumed
    **reaction time 1.5sec for all
    Cooldown for dissolution is 60 seconds . Your argument is valid till after the second charge - although the potential for cleansing most roots exists, it's also not reliable.

    Either way, the best thing you could spend your points on if you take them out of unbound steps is 6% mana...other choices are a castable heal which is likely not going to be as good as other options, increasing wisdom if you heal, and reducing the cooldown of another casted heal of limited (possibly) use.

    Something like Ripple+Tidal Surge+Soothing seems like a wonderful combo for offhealing when the whole group needs heals. However, perhaps its pvp use is limited - switching a few points back into shaman seems like an option...or getting 2 more points into Inq for fear ward - used in mana or renewal which is this spec's key downfall.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honze View Post
    There isn't a skill at 36 root right now, but if the leaked notes are true, there sure will be. Sort of crazy even considering all these builds now when there seems to be some pretty big changes on the horizon.
    I enjoy theorycrafting. I'd also prefer to have it nerfed in beta than nerfed in the real game after I get my hopes up for so long.

    Chances are mana will be a key issue for shamans and this spec may be impossible outside of high elf guardians or some other group comp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts