+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are Pets that essential ?

Default Are Pets that essential ?

Is it viable to have a cleric build without Druid ..it seams so common its not funny .Infact it appears almost every class must have a pet dependency .For those of you that have gone the non pet way .Is it viable both in PVP and PVE ?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwalco View Post
    Is it viable to have a cleric build without Druid ..it seams so common its not funny .Infact it appears almost every class must have a pet dependency .For those of you that have gone the non pet way .Is it viable both in PVP and PVE ?
    It is indeed viable. In fact when I make my cleric I am going to make sure not to have a faerie following me, reminds me too much of the "Hey Listen" days, makes me want to punch kittens.

edit: I think people just like to have a pet because it makes them feel like they are 2 manning stuff thus making them feel more powerful, that is possibly why there are so many druids around.
    Last edited by BasiiK; 02-02-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Taking a break from sig making atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwalco View Post
    The pet is so utterly terrible not having it is probably beneficial as the 0.1 FPS you gain from it not being on your screen is more worthwhile.

Wait a minute....

Doesn't having Tinkerbell out also give some sort of spell stats to melee stats buff?

Or am I thinking of something else here in another Calling?

There are a lot of Cleric builds I have seen on the Forum that indeed do not use the Druid in there build. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and what you like and want to achieve.

I have more points in Justicar, but use the Druid pet as more of a healer to add to the Justicar self healing, and turn off its ability to cast ranged damage. So for moe it isa bit like a constant HoT buff.
    Current Rift Progression: 20man - GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, HK 1/11. 10man - GP 4/4, DH 4/4, RotP 1/4.

Rift Disciple

You could live easely without the druid pet. Must poeple get it just because it is a free low heals/dmg add you don,t have to care about and you get it with 0 pts spent.

But puryfier 0pts soul ability is an absorb shield wich have its use especialy in PvP and you could also go with some shaman level instead to help ya soloing or many other variation.

Rift Disciple

All melee classes get the same SP to AP buff. Druid's is actually the worst of the three because it can only be up with a pet, so you are dependant on it.

The pet itself is just awful. No real thought put into it. You are right that way too many classes have pets. Melee clerics do not need pets, clerics in general don't need pets as we are tanking and can self heal already. Pets are for ranged classes who need pocket tanks, like the earth elemental for mages, or for the rangers. Beastmaster is the only exception to a "melee pet class" simply because that is their unique quality.

Since all 3 classes need to put some points in druid, it is inevitable they will get the pet. I honestly think it could easily go deeper into the tree, 4 tiers in and no once would notice but it would mean only clerics heavily invested in the druid would be running around with a faerie pet.

I tried using the druid soul on one of my cleric attempts to see how useful the pet might be. As a 0 point soul it's more of an annoyance than anything else, so the pet for a cleric is not at all essential. Other 0 point souls are just as good if not better.

i think the fairy is super stupid looking and annoying. seriously, i went into an instance and there was a guy who had a fairy and it TALKS... it's really annoying and i heard they don't do much. i personally HATE it! :P
    i LOVE this game!

I don't mind the pet at all, but you can live without it. In my Shaman/Druid build I took all the good passives and skills I needed. I sometimes have it out as a distraction, but I don't depend on the pet to do anything for me.

Now the Satyr pet might be something else, I really hope it's good, else I'm not investing 31 points into druid.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

I haven't played with the Greater Fairy, or the Satyr, just the initial Fairy pet; so maybe later they get better. However, the initial Fairy is really pretty terrible. The heal is bad, and the damage is bad.

I get that it's a 'free' pet, so they probably felt compelled to keep it weak. Well, mission accomplished. I put Warden in place of Druid for this last beta, and I wasn't sorry. The only thing I missed was the early shield from Druid, didn't miss the pet at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    I don't mind the pet at all, but you can live without it. In my Shaman/Druid build I took all the good passives and skills I needed. I sometimes have it out as a distraction, but I don't depend on the pet to do anything for me.

Now the Satyr pet might be something else, I really hope it's good, else I'm not investing 31 points into druid.
    Agreed. I'd purposefully avoided Druid in all of my Cleric builds because I dislike both of the faerie pets. The Satyr, however, looks totally roughneck and if it's even remotely worth the points, I just might a second Cleric strictly to make use of it.

I realize I could just have a Druid build in my primary Cleric, but that guy is an Inquisitor with various subsets of Justicar, Sentinel and/or Cabalist depending on role...adding Druid doesn't make sense from my pseudo-RP perspective.
    Kakimushire, Ashisogi Jizo!
    The High Inquisitor of <Crusade>
    Harrow Server

The only reason I even choose Druid for a Cleric build is because of the AP and Crit passives. The pet is a very minor bonus for solo players but dear lord it's hideous!

Admittedly, it might be interesting to see what the Greater Fairy and Satyr can do, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourbid View Post
    The only reason I even choose Druid for a Cleric build is because of the AP and Crit passives. The pet is a very minor bonus for solo players but dear lord it's hideous!

Admittedly, it might be interesting to see what the Greater Fairy and Satyr can do, though.
    Greater feary does a bit more dmg, and has a direct heal and a hot. Not all that great, but good for pve. Now in 2 days we'll see how good this Satyr pet is.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

+ Reply to Thread