+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Better way to DPS as cleric melee or ranged?

Shadowlander

Default Better way to DPS as cleric melee or ranged?

Even though max level is only 30 so far if you want to be a DPS cleric is it best to go shaman as main soul and do melee DPS or go Cabalist or Inquisitor for ranged? I only got to play around with a shaman/druid/justicar build so was wondering if anyone played Cab/Inq how you think they performed.
    Last edited by tifania; 02-01-2011 at 10:16 PM.

I played a Inq/Sent/Warden to lvl 22, so I dont have a basis of comparison for the melee damage, but I will check it out this beta. Overall, I was happy with the ranged DPS on the Inq (I put most of my points in this tree). Not anything huge, but steady damage with the dots and the 2 nukes. I could take a good beating as well while I focused on back row supporters in the warfronts, so I was happy. The 2 channel spells from the INQ line came in pretty handy as well, 1 HP drain/heal other is HP drain converted to mana.

V/R,
    Last edited by Synns; 02-01-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Melee ranged cleric (Inq and Cabalist) is lackluster and if you read the posts most argue it is presently boring to play and convoluted. I played Inq up to level 22 and it was as boring as hell. It is entirely dependent on a very mediocre three spell rotation (2 dots and the horrid 3 second cast bolt). At this level it is impossible to create a good rotation for Inq from primary soul spells. Hell my Warden spamming instant had more DPS. Inq is dull and messed up. Cabalist will be nerfed and will be changed again. Stay away from range DPS clerics until they fix it.
    Last edited by Keridwan; 02-01-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Femmes Fatales - The Art of the Feminine in the Power of MMOs

Shadowlander

Played to 30 as a Shaman/Druid/Justicar, full melee damage/crit set up. In beta with the lower level caps Shaman are not reaching anywhere near full potential. Damage seems about mid-range, but as long as you keep your crit high it can be quite good. As for leveling/soloing everything is quite easy and you rarely lose any health if you spec right. 2 shields, 5% heal per crit, 2 mana regen buffs (that stack), high crit, all lead to great soloing, even at 3+ enemies at a time with the aoe you get. Caster would seem to be a bit easier while in beta, but Shaman is quite amazing at everything right now, only to get way stronger at 50.

Interesting. You didnt go with the 1.5 cast Judgement, Aggressive renewal and Harsh Discpline with the 2 dots? And contempt was great having your dot heal you while it ticked?

I will admit, only about 5-6 skills at 22 to use, but I think I am stickin with it for a bit.

See OP, already 2 opinions LOL, GL. I will repost after I get a decent melee comparison this weekend.

Oo, rotation for me was
    Bolt of Depravity
    Vex
    Sanction Heritic
    spam 1.5 sec cast Bolt of judgement

As needed Aggressive renewal or Harsh disp

With that I could throw a hot on me from warden line or heal off the sent line, with contempt ticking heals, it made me difficult to kill in the WFs

I went wit hthe 1.5 lesser damage bolt over spamming depravity simply because I could get 4 bolts off to 2.

Anyway, Trust me, I am looking for any input on it out there, but it worked for me and I had no issues soloing or in the WFs. I did not instance at all and the only elites I did were from rifts, which was hit and miss on me soloing, probably from poor timing from me... and some of them being a little higher than me, but hey, it was Beta :P
    Last edited by Synns; 02-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.

I took a cleric up to level 22 or so, most of the points into druid. The melee dps wasn't bad at all, but the combat was a bit ... boring. On the bright side, with the shield spell, heals, and faerie healing, you'll be hard pressed to get killed.

Shadowlander

So for a ranged DPS cleric something like this build?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...kArtMtk.VxVo.V
    Last edited by tifania; 02-01-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Soulwalker

Had a cabalist that topped the dps meter every warfront i entered.

The aoe damage in a warfront that has a side bunching for defense is yummy for a cabalist. Leveling a cabalist was fine but i found that there were 2 main roles for my primary cabalist spec, Mass PVP and Rifts primarily rift invasions and footholds. Cabalists are absolutely devastating to bunched mobs. Having said that i would not level in a cabalist build there are better cleric souls for that.

What i love about rift is there is no best soul combination. There are best soul combinations for specific jobs but there are soo many jobs, main heal, off heal, small group heal, raid heal, pvp solo, pvp group, rufting solo, rifting group, invasion solo, invasion group, foothold solo, foothold group, etc. That means there are TONS of viable builds, find what works best for you in a specific situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Keridwan View Post
    Melee ranged cleric (Inq and Cabalist) is lackluster and if you read the posts most argue it is presently boring to play and convoluted. I played Inq up to level 22 and it was as boring as hell. It is entirely dependent on a very mediocre three spell rotation (2 dots and the horrid 3 second cast bolt). At this level it is impossible to create a good rotation for Inq from primary soul spells. Hell my Warden spamming instant had more DPS. Inq is dull and messed up. Cabalist will be nerfed and will be changed again. Stay away from range DPS clerics until they fix it.
    There isnt much benefit mixing Inq with Cabalist, which I think is the problem most people are running into. You should be using the other 2 to increase your passives

Something like this
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jde.xc.VEkh0zRzz.V

The warden talent 'Destructive Tide' increases all your instant cast damages, which you have several of

Life's Vengenance
    Banish
    Vex
    Sanction Heretic

and all the while you should be leading off with your life resist debuff, Spirtual Deficiency

Or you could have gone all in with Inq like this, so you can spam Sanction Heretic & bolt of judgement to try and get a free cast of depravity
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jde..Exkh0tMzz
    Last edited by Diggles; 02-02-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Has anyone tried running Castigation in conjunction with Life and Death Accord and Symbol of Corruption on their Inquisitor? I'm contemplating this on a potential build and was wondering how well it works. Bolt of Depravity hits like pretty hard when I cast it (PvE), I just happen to think 3 seconds it entirely too long to be rooted in one spot trying to cast a spell in PvP most of the time. I only wish Sanction Heretic were on a shorter cooldown (like 8 seconds).

For the record, my ranged attacks seem to do more damage than my melee ones (Inquisitor/Justicar) but I'm only level 22 with most of my points in Inquisitor (18) with the remainder in Justicar. That might change as I level up and put more points in Justy.

This is my build up to level 22. Mind you, it's heavily predicated on a slew of instant cast abilities. I do cast BoJ/BoD in PvP when I have the proper spacing/time, but that isn't too often.
    Last edited by Enigmatik1J; 02-02-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    Kakimushire, Ashisogi Jizo!
    The High Inquisitor of <Crusade>
    Harrow Server

Rift Disciple

Well I made it to 28 in this last Beta. I've played around with several different souls., Inq, Sent, Justicar, Warden, Shaman, Druid.

The two I have used most where Sent(27)/Inq(10)/Warden(0).

This build is ranged DPS, has lots of healing options and stackable DoT's for some DPS potential. The rotation was 3 DoT's, Sent insta DD on cool down then spam warden insta DD with no cool down until DoT's wear off, then repeat. The DPS was by no means amazing but it was ok, did slightly better then my shaman build because of all the passive damage for DoT's while I could heal if needed.

The other main build I tried was Shaman(27)/Druid(10)/Warden(0).
    I don't remember the exact points but most were in Shaman with extras in druid and Warden for the free HoT. Again it was survivable because of druid and Warden. It is much more gear dependent and I lacked the crit rating to really benefit from Shaman heals. If I had better gear it could have maybe been better, I just found it lacking. I was expecting to get much better DPS. My Sent/Inq spec seemed to kill faster and survive better plus I had range for PvP. Without the 10 point Druid mana buff I had mana problems so at least 10 points in druid seemed to be a must.

I've heard good things about Druid for DPS so plan to try a Druid/Shaman next beta.

I could see Shaman getting better at higher levels with better gear. Once you able to get a good solid crit rating from the soul trees and gear. Then you would start criting a lot boosting your DPS. They just seem to be low DPS with the level caps we currently have.

Inq/Cabalist was far from boring. I had a blast! It reminded me of a fire mage from WoW, waiting for procs to go off so I could cast my instacast spells, keeping up my dots and the like (I guess more like a lock). Was quite fun, and the DPS was the best i've seen out of the cleric tree. Was keeping up with stormcaller/ele actually, usually topping them. I carry a DPS meter, yes lol.

SInce you're looking for DPS builds, ignore the sentinel builds. Inq/Cabalist seems to be the most DPS we have, ever. Even Shaman/Druid scaled right can't compete.
    Last edited by Shablo5; 02-02-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    God : Defiant - 50 Cleric - Deepstrike (PVP)

INteresting. I felt I did enough DPS without Cabbie. I went with 2 heal souls (with very few points in each) simply for survivability in the WFs. HOT from warden line with insta in Sent line and in bad situations the 2 sec cast heal from sent. Anyway, I think they are all viable. I enjoyed the INQ. I actually looked at a jack of all trade line with INQ, Justicar or druid, and sent or warden line up, but not sure how that would work. Range casts with melee up close with emergency heals......Undecided on it and I think I would probably just use it for soloing if I try it at all.

V/R,

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Shablo5 View Post
    Inq/Cabalist was far from boring. I had a blast! It reminded me of a fire mage from WoW, waiting for procs to go off so I could cast my instacast spells, keeping up my dots and the like (I guess more like a lock). Was quite fun, and the DPS was the best i've seen out of the cleric tree. Was keeping up with stormcaller/ele actually, usually topping them. I carry a DPS meter, yes lol.

SInce you're looking for DPS builds, ignore the sentinel builds. Inq/Cabalist seems to be the most DPS we have, ever. Even Shaman/Druid scaled right can't compete.
    Would you mind sharing that awesome build of urs? I'm curious

Quote Originally Posted by Synns View Post
    INteresting. I felt I did enough DPS without Cabbie. I went with 2 heal souls (with very few points in each) simply for survivability in the WFs. HOT from warden line with insta in Sent line and in bad situations the 2 sec cast heal from sent. Anyway, I think they are all viable. I enjoyed the INQ. I actually looked at a jack of all trade line with INQ, Justicar or druid, and sent or warden line up, but not sure how that would work. Range casts with melee up close with emergency heals......Undecided on it and I think I would probably just use it for soloing if I try it at all.

V/R,
    IMO with all of the different roles we have, why make a jack of all trades spec? Why not just make 4 roles that are perfect at what they do? And if you do want an all around spec, atleast make 1 for that and make a pure dps spec for dungeons. Jack of all trades are masters at none, you shouldn't embrace that.
    God : Defiant - 50 Cleric - Deepstrike (PVP)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast