+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Inquisitor/Cabalist PvP: A Matter of Life and Death

Lightbulb Inquisitor/Cabalist PvP: A Matter of Life and Death

Okay, so I've spent the last few hours theorycrafting around an Inquis/Cab/Dru build for Warfront PvP, that focuses around strong channeled/DoT single target damage with mana drains and self/healing, with equally strong AoE abilities for massacring crowds of people with use of Maelstrom and the combined AoE of the Cabalist/Inquisitor trees. The druid subsoul is simply there for the faerie heal, as I could not truly find another soul that meshed better.

Update 2/1/2011: Newer more streamlined and efficient build. Changed druid to Warden for some healing and a little bit of on-demand damage on the move.

Here it is, let me know what you guys think.http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...tMtk.VthoRnkrz

edit: Moved from general class forum.

Rift Disciple

I am just a little skeptical if you can pump enough dps out to really kill 5 enemies as a cleric base. The logic looks solid though if you could.
    Last edited by tbox; 02-01-2011 at 08:50 PM.

I am just a little skeptical if you can pump enough dps out to really kill 5 enemies as a cleric base. The logic looks solid though if you could.
    I should mention that the concept is built around my group of friends that I will be playing with, or around large-scale PvP in general, which assumes that I will not being the only person damaging them. Of course a cleric soul will not be able to kill 5 people with their AoEs, but I will definitely make it alot easier for the big damage dealers with the support abilities offered by both trees.

Rift Disciple

Seems okay. Incoming wall of text for my opinion and preference!
    You're missing 5% spell damage (death's grasp) and 2% damage on your decay (death's dominion), a real bread+butter ability for cabalist, along with a full 3 points in affinity for death. Obliterate is a cabalist defining ability.
    I'm guessing you don't plan on casting your two bolts from inquisitor overly much, or you'd have points in castigation and/or symbol of corruption? In which case 5 points could be freed up from life and death concord and put somewhere they'd have a larger impact on a wider range of your build, as opposed to a 15 second cooldown dot giving you a 30% chance for a free nuke.
    I also wasn't overly impressed with sigils in beta 5, nor do I see any super cool sigil abilities that saving 24 seconds on a cooldown would be too spiffy, and therefore wouldn't drop 4 points into leviathan's mark.
    I also liked the free shield for purifier over the HoT from warden. Prevents pushback/spell interruption from damage while it's up and feels more proactive than reactive to me.
    Maelstrom was also pretty unimpressive to me, seemed the ranges were too short or something but that's another discussion I suppose.
    TL;DR - Do something like this instead. Note : Can trade one from unholy tutelage for nebulous haze or dark water if you don't want the 32 point inquisitor armor.
    Last edited by Azach; 02-01-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added note and changed 1 talent point location

I've been looking at building a similar setup for group pvp and came up with http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...zr.VEkhbzRuk.x which gives the build a couple more defensive options. I too was looking to avoid cast times and focus on instas and channeled spells primarily.
    Peerless
    Bad Guys

How CRAZY.

I was JUST going over my own tinkering / builds with inquis / cabalist for the same exact purposes you describe.

I came to the cleric forum to see if anything similar was on the first couple pages, and here I find myself.

I like your build & idea a lot, but I happened to go with sentinel for my 3rd soul for the instant cast heal on 8 sec cooldown. *shrug*.. not a big deal either way - druid would work too, warden is fine too with the HoT. Not too big a deal, but yah, our inquis / cabal ideas are verrrrry close.

*high five*
    The thunder cracks in the distance.
    Alerted, a quick glance to the right ushers forth a fast burning streak of lightning.
    He has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Azach View Post
    Seems okay. Incoming wall of text for my opinion and preference!
    You're missing 5% spell damage (death's grasp) and 2% damage on your decay (death's dominion), a real bread+butter ability for cabalist, along with a full 3 points in affinity for death. Obliterate is a cabalist defining ability.
    I'm guessing you don't plan on casting your two bolts from inquisitor overly much, or you'd have points in castigation and/or symbol of corruption? In which case 5 points could be freed up from life and death concord and put somewhere they'd have a larger impact on a wider range of your build, as opposed to a 15 second cooldown dot giving you a 30% chance for a free nuke.
    I also wasn't overly impressed with sigils in beta 5, nor do I see any super cool sigil abilities that saving 24 seconds on a cooldown would be too spiffy, and therefore wouldn't drop 4 points into leviathan's mark.
    I also liked the free shield for purifier over the HoT from warden. Prevents pushback/spell interruption from damage while it's up and feels more proactive than reactive to me.
    Maelstrom was also pretty unimpressive to me, seemed the ranges were too short or something but that's another discussion I suppose.
    TL;DR - Do something like this instead. Note : Can trade one from unholy tutelage for nebulous haze or dark water if you don't want the 32 point inquisitor armor.
    The reason i dont take the 5% spell damage from the cab tree is that for 5 talent points, it just gives me a little bit more of what I already have, and the free nuke from Life and Death Concord will be extraordinarily useful for a bit of burst within a spec based primarily around channels and DoTs. Dark Water is a very solid investment for 1 talent point, I couldnt justify not taking it. The sigil cooldown reduction is for faster Sigil weaving, as the point of the build is not for pure damage, but for support as well, and the various Sigil effects provide an amazing amount of AoE utility for almost no sacrifice. Some of the talents are not maxed out simply for the reason that with 4/5 or 2/3 they provide me with the effect i want out of them, allowing me to spread a few more points around to other talents I wanted to pick up such as Nebulous Gaze and Fanatacism.

The beauty of this system is that while the essential parts of the build are the same, the small parts are up to player preference, which is why our builds differ in a few select ways. Obviously I'll have to test it on live at max level when I reach it, but my spec does exactly what I want it to do, while yours does what you want it to do, and thats just awesome Our tastes are just a tad bit different, thats all.

PS~ the 3rd soul is really quite inconsequential, I figured a free HoT and an instant damage ability with no cooldown would help me stay more mobile in a PvP environment, but like I said before, its purely player preference.

My build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...rzRtk.VtAVo0kr

I went with warden instead as well after some thought. More efficient heal (less mana, more healed, cast less often)

The build is focused on group pvp AE damage (Though I'm sure it would be great for AE'ing in PvE situations as well). It forsakes talenting nearly all of the single target DPS spells in favor of AE utility, damage, and efficiency.

It has a lot of control / CC capability, and a lot of resists / wards / buffs / regen for the Cleric.

Any questions or comments are welcomed ;)
    Alerted, a quick glance to the right ushers forth a fast burning streak of lightning.
    He has come.

oops, forgot to change sentinel to warden ;p
    He has come.

1) lol at anyone who uses waterjet

2) lol at anyone who thinks warden hots heal for anything... at 29 mine would tic for 30 damge.... did i mention people have 2-3k hp?

your are better off going purifier and using the self bubble. spell push back is srious stuff in this game.

insta cast and channeleg spells deal SO MUCH less damage than stand still to cast spells, its not even funny... (which they should)
    have fun with your 39 damage waterjet crits while my bolt of depravity slams into you for 600 and the dot tics on it for 59 per sec.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopX View Post

2) lol at anyone who thinks warden hots heal for anything... at 29 mine would tic for 30 damge.... did i mention people have 2-3k hp?

your are better off going purifier and using the self bubble. spell push back is srious stuff in this game.

insta cast and channeleg spells deal SO MUCH less damage than stand still to cast spells, its not even funny... (which they should)
    have fun with your 39 damage waterjet crits while my bolt of depravity slams into you for 600 and the dot tics on it for 59 per sec.
    Your numbers are way off, there is no way your bolt will hit for 600 and your hots heal for so little and your waterjet only does so much. They both use the same spellpower.

Looks like you forget to level up your skills at the skill trainer, cause my waterjet crits for 250.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Bishop, there's no need to get all snide and condescending towards anyone here.

We're all still learning / theorycrafting / contemplating things, so calm down and be nice - You don't have a level 50 yet and neither do we.

Perhaps you're right about Purifier. Didn't consider the potential to block some spell knockback with it.

As for your thoughts on cast time spells vs. channels - How about giving some insight as to why you feel they are so much better, "as they should be" (as you put it).. Do they have higher spell dmg coefficients? Has any developer given insight as to why they should perform the way you say they do?

Or is this purely personal conjecture with no real proof other than picking numbers out of the air that even I know are inaccurate from what little experience I've had so far.. .. ?
    He has come.

the fact of the matter is, if you want to nuke as a cabalist, you will be channeling lurking decay constantly. its not bad dps at all, and you will be able to follow it up with an obliterate or tyranny for excellent dps. you can choose to utilize an instant cast proc of bolt of depravity if you wish, but chances are you'll be too busy dotting, channeling, and dropping oblits to worry about it.
    Last edited by pokett; 02-02-2011 at 04:31 AM.

"I find that hopelessness makes the best aphrodisiac..."

Soulwalker

First of all, sorry, my english is rly bad and poor, i'm spanish and this isn't my main laguange

We are not sure the next modifications that will suffer our cabbi, but, if there's not changes, there's some habilities in your builds that maybe could be changed, in my opinion.

1- Undertow, 1 sec cast but a very low damage, and dont get a rly benefit from all talents invested.
    2- Sigil of ravaging....... rly?, one spell with a cd of 1:30 that gives me 20% of my health no more?... not sure to take it
    3- I dont know your rotations with spells, in pvp and pve... but you have a big amount of spells to cast, maybe is better less but strongers.

I'd like to post my build, pve-pvp build, some survival, a bit of aoe damage and a bit of single player damage, the reason... you never know when a rogue will visit you:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10odG.EtAVsEzr.Vxzh.m

Like you can see i prefer purifier and i spent 4 points on it, enough for shield and 1 heal with short cast time, this shield let me farm 3 mobs same time since level 3, if they are mele mobs, that means one raly good farmer, my main spells:

Solo:

Instant dot:
    -vex
    -sanction heretic

comb:
    -Decay
    -Obliderate

AOE:
    -Decay + obliderate
    -Shadows touch
    - Bound fate
    -Tiranny

Good points:
    Sigil of ruin (2 sec stun)
    Sigil of secrecy ( 5 sec silence)
    Shield of the ancestors
    Healing flame
    +8% crit

I didnt try it but at the moment, is rly rly good for leveling and i wanna try in pvp

Quote Originally Posted by BishopX View Post

i have seen warden keep 5 people topped off while the group fights a 2 to 1 odds and the group wins easy. im not saying another healer soul cant do this im just saying the warden is just as good and more mobile of a healer
    cleric: my cleric build:warden/inquis/sent, My lvl 35 build for end of beta 6: ward/inquis/sent
    Great cleric guide By EmilB , Great cleric info By vi3L
    Mage: My mage build
    Great tank thread buy kikaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast