+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why do clerics need at least one heal spell in every build?

Rift Disciple

Default why do clerics need at least one heal spell in every build?

Hi,

So I am new to clerics and am almost convinced I will play them but the only question I have is why are we so fixated on having at least one heal spell? It seems in every build no matter if it is PvE or PvP, it seems imperative to grab at least one heal spell or have in some defensive abilities.

I see the need for a healing spell in solo leveling or solo PvP but if I play in a group or raid, I feel that a pure dps shammy build will be able to hang with the rest. We won't have to drop any points in heals because thats where people that play the healing roles come in. I understand that "clerics" should be healers first and foremost but not every single one HAS to. And now with the rumored leaked notes, specc'ing in one tree without spending in others will give you even more of a dmg boost.

I feel that clerics as a whole are still set upon the ability to heal one self but we are sacrificing huge dps in the process. I come from playing a mage "from the game whom must not be named," and I enjoyed dps'ing like crazy when I was alive but I also died a lot. However, it was perfectly possible to do well and be successful with a squishy build so I think this will be possible as a cleric.

This is the true beauty, at least I hope for a cleric. There are radical, moderate, and conservative approaches to dps/tanking/healing and is the reason why I will most likely roll one.

So in conclusion, I urge us as a class to make sure that in end game we can dps like hell if we spec the right way (and yes, sacrifice healing in the process, I am not asking to be overpowered).

You're absolutely right in the sense that we are gimping ourselves by putting in defensive/heal abilities and that that should be left to the "healing" roles/players. But the thing is, not every situation is like that, you won't always have that healer backing you up, you won't always have other people around you to take the damage and I mean, even if you do have that friend that's healbotting you, what happens if they get cc'd, interrupted, etc.? Because of that, most builds cater towards the "safer" option, i.e. the ones with heal/defensive spells.

But that's the beauty of the game isn't it? You don't NEED at least one heal spell, nor you HAVE to HAVE that defensive ability to be viable.
    Detailed Cleric Guide by v!3L, your friendly, neighborhood Cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaurosis View Post
    I see the need for a healing spell in solo leveling or solo PvP
    This is mostly the reason. Because it is Beta, players are spending are spending a lot of time leveling, and so builds that are practical for leveling are important.

At end game, a melee dps cleric will probably be using all three of shaman, justicar, and druid, without any intended healing potential.

if having a heal is bumming you out... just don't use them. don't use them at all. just dps stuff to the ground. problem solved :P
    i LOVE this game!

mostly because more and more they are changing the none healing souls so they have decent dps but their survivability is meh, this is because of course they have to balance good dps with the fact we can take healing souls, it does mean a lot do take them.

the other reason is i find the heal from the warden or sentinel is just nice to have as that 0 point ability.

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

The other thing about Clerics is honestly...there's only so many abilities you can take to supplement your DPS in the first place. You might as well get heals and add utility at that point, you know?

Not everything is about pure dps. Do you think a dps+support heals cleric has no use in a group or raid setting? And if all you want to do is max your dps, from the looks of the soul trees (I haven't tried a pure dps cleric so I can't say how good they are) you can build a very powerful dps cleric.

Looking at the shaman tree I only see one heal which can only be used after you get critically hit (unless you count the skill that gives you minor healing when you crit).

Quote Originally Posted by Amaurosis View Post
    Hi,
    why are we so fixated on having at least one heal spell? It seems in every build no matter if it is PvE or PvP, it seems imperative to grab at least one heal spell..
    Because you're a healer? derp

Z

Hi, I'm an Inquisitor, and according to your post I should have a heal, and I'm here to collect whats mine.

Telaran

Even if you put 51 into one soul you still get to have 15 points in an off soul and 0 in a 3rd off soul. Having lvl 0 warden or sent gives you one great heal. If you're inquisitor cabalist druid, or whatever combination just gets no heals at all, you probably aren't gaining more from that 3rd lvl 0 soul than you would gain if you had the ability to keep yourself alive through aoe even when raiding.

Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by Allegorical View Post
    This is mostly the reason. Because it is Beta, players are spending are spending a lot of time leveling, and so builds that are practical for leveling are important.

At end game, a melee dps cleric will probably be using all three of shaman, justicar, and druid, without any intended healing potential.
    This.
    Im a justicar tank and the only healing I take is utility, not so much my own and that's how we are designed to tank.
    However we ARE clerics. Think of where the cleric's roots lie (In gaming history, not the roots in a tree). Don't be so surprised. This isn't WoW, you aren't speccing shadow and having nothing but a bubble.
    God : Defiant - 50 Cleric - Deepstrike (PVP)

Because having a free heal or hot is pretty good to compliment the melee dps classes. You can't allways expect to have a healer around, and sometimes that 1 heal might be enough to save you on the field.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Even if I'm playing my cleric as a dps/melee class, at the moment I'd rather have at least 1 heal in there that I can use in emergencies. It's all very well saying to leave the healing to the people with healing specs, but even the best healer in the world can't guarantee to keep everyone in a raid/warfront healed.

You don't really need to sacrifice anything to do it as all it requires is taking a healing soul as the third soul, the one you probably weren't going to spend any points in anyway, and leaving it at 0 points

Rift Disciple

The archetype is CLERIC, so what do you expect? :O if you want to solely dps, go make a rogue or mage.

I haven't completely decided my souls yet, but something like druid cabalist warden sounds nice, with warden for the heal and 0 points on it. Gonna have to mess around the builds, to see what i like. Im looking for a melee DPS build, ofcourse lil bit hybrid for heals so i can pull big.

Also, even if someone can spec a cleric purely for DPS and not take any healing (which I'm sure is possible), it may be that some groups/raids will still expect clerics to be able to provide some healing if necessary if a situation arises where a bit more healing is of more benefit to the group/raid as a whole than a bit more DPS.

This is my philosophy anyway. Even if I'm playing a cleric in a DPS role, I'll be prepared to switch in a bit of healing if needed.

+ Reply to Thread