+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which Inquisitor subsouls work best for soloing?

OP never mentioned any kind of gear level or being fresh level 65. You also can get 4 set piece bonus before setting foot in any raid as of NT. So I wouldn't call having 4 set bonus being on high gear clouds.

Note that it should also work with 2 set bonus, just not nearly as much.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Thanks for all the ideas.

I'm not a new player, I played the game when it first came out, but I haven't played since (about a 3.5 year break) so I'm new in that regard. Learnign the game from scratch basically. I plan to level the char from 1-65, currently as the Lawbringer Inq build, having a blast with it. The soloing part was referring to end game soloing Chronicles and other things that aren't really meant to be solo'd.

As for druid, I avoid druid. I tried druid, I honestly dislike it. It's weird since Harbinger is fairly similar and I enjoy it but I really just don't like Druid for some reason. Maybe it's the reliance on the pet? Not sure.

So far Lawbringer is fun. Yes, it lacks the glory of Defiler, but wow am I hard to kill. Obviously everybody is hard to kill at low level but hey, at least I'm having fun.

I'm certainly going to hope for even more advice, I love reading it and it helps me decide what to do long term. Heck, if Cleric isn't going to be the best at soloing at the end, let me know, I can always swap classes. I have a high level Harbinger, melee was just getting stale and it felt like I was kind of being punished for melee in a lot of encounters. Might just have been my imagination but bosses seem to have a lot of "you're melee now you're dead" attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcrai View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas.

I'm not a new player, I played the game when it first came out, but I haven't played since (about a 3.5 year break) so I'm new in that regard. Learnign the game from scratch basically. I plan to level the char from 1-65, currently as the Lawbringer Inq build, having a blast with it. The soloing part was referring to end game soloing Chronicles and other things that aren't really meant to be solo'd.

As for druid, I avoid druid. I tried druid, I honestly dislike it. It's weird since Harbinger is fairly similar and I enjoy it but I really just don't like Druid for some reason. Maybe it's the reliance on the pet? Not sure.

So far Lawbringer is fun. Yes, it lacks the glory of Defiler, but wow am I hard to kill. Obviously everybody is hard to kill at low level but hey, at least I'm having fun.

I'm certainly going to hope for even more advice, I love reading it and it helps me decide what to do long term. Heck, if Cleric isn't going to be the best at soloing at the end, let me know, I can always swap classes. I have a high level Harbinger, melee was just getting stale and it felt like I was kind of being punished for melee in a lot of encounters. Might just have been my imagination but bosses seem to have a lot of "you're melee now you're dead" attacks.
    Could always run a Shamin Sent/Puri/Defiler/Justicar Hybrid, that's literally the same as a harb.

Rift Disciple

Inquis is totally doable as a leveling spec. The self-healing Justicar deal is the way to go, though you might look at moving to a straight dps build (shaman/defiler or something similar) around level 60, and certainly at 65. With a proper rotation, things tend to die quickly enough that healing isn't much of an issue, unless you overpull or there's multiple elites.

Don't discount Druid too quickly. I'm with you that I don't particularly like the way it plays, but it has its uses. It's a good option to swap to when Inquisitor won't hold up. It's also a nice way to solo old raids, for the pet offtank or extra healing, as well as some of the Chronicles. Druid also has a lot of nice survival/utility stuff (shields, damage mitigation, pull, teleport, etc) and swaps ST to AoE and back quickly.

I think the biggest thing you can do is learn to swap specs, and what specs are useful for which content. Swapping and multiple specs is really at the core of Rift's gameplay, and being able to quickly move between them can make things faster and easier. I ran through Drowned Halls (an old level 50 raid) yesterday. I used Cab to run to the bosses and AoE all the trash down. Inquisitor for the first and second boss, Druid for the third for double interrupt and shield, back to Cab for trash before last boss, then Druid for the last boss, since she tends to transform the pet instead of me. All in the course of about 10-15 minutes. It probably would take twice as long to do with just Inquisitor, having to burn down all the trash and deal with the boss being annoying.

Thanks again, still reading everything that gets posted, it's a lot to take in.

So far the Lawbringer seems to be working quite well for me, even lacking the extra DPS from Defiler and Shaman seems to not really make a difference, but I am only level 20 so that doesn't mean much.

How do the clerics compare to Harbinger? The farther I level my cleric the more invested I'm going to end up (dumping supplies for crafting, plat for bags and mounts, etc) and it would be nice to actually know for sure I'm going to stick with it before I end up realizing at level 50 that maybe I didn't end up picking the right class.

I know I have no real interest in warrior or rogue for solo, or at least I can't seem to find any builds for either of them that out do clerics and mages (feel free to prove me wrong though, I didn't search all that hard for rogue or warrior) so I have the feeling it's down to harb vs 1001 cleric builds :P

Rift Disciple

I may be biased, as my Cleric is my main, but I find it incredibly versatile. As far as dps goes, it's right in the middle of the pack as far as raid dps. It started at the top in the beginning of 3.0, but the gear scaling and some soul reworks has put others on top. Not enough to worry about, though. It's great at tanking (ranged attacks and a res), support via Oracle, and Defiler is almost irreplaceable for progression raiding, and very strong in PvP when played right. Cab is a great AoE option, though can be a little clunky to play.

Where Clerics really shine is healing. Purifier is top spot single target due to the large amount of shields instead of overhealing, Sentinel is very strong in experts and warfronts, and Warden...well, Warden needs a rework. It's about the only spec that doesn't really shine for Clerics.

In comparison to Mage, specifically Harb, it's hard for me to say. My Cleric is 1200 hit, T1 geared, crit capped with relic weapons. My mage is still wearing crafted gear and stuff from the chronicle, so it's apples and oranges. Playwise, I'd say Harb is closes to Druid, without the pet. It's mostly melee with a few ranged options, good utility, have to keep your dots up. Damage is probably on par with Druid as well, though they're looking to rework Harb very soon, and it should get a nice boost. Right now, Harb is usually paired with another soul for extra damage and flexibility. It's still a nice solo spec when paired with cholro, but the damage isn't high compared to other soul options.

Otherwise, I'd say Mage has a bit more and different support options with all the Dom and Chon hybrids, top tier dps with the Storm* hybrids, though that's getting nerfed soon (still waiting to see how much). Pyro is great single target dps, on par with Inquisitor, and Chloro is a really strong healing option, and does more damage by far than the other healers.

I guess my point is that they're comparable, but play very differently. As with most things in Rift, there's a lot of ways to get from A -> B, and both Cleric and Mage do it well, though very, very differently. Maybe it's my familiarity with Cleric, but I feel like I have more playstyle options with Cleric, and a bigger range of dps options with Mage. For purely solo stuff, I guess it depends on what you want to do. I feel like Druid has more survivability than Harb/Chloro, and for just general use, both Inquisitor and Pyro blow stuff up so quickly that healing doesn't matter. If all you want to do is solo, Harb (especially with the rework coming) is a fine option. If you want to expand your horizions, Cleric is a fun and versatile class with few downsides.

Rift Disciple

I should also add (stupid edit timer) that both Warrior and Rogue have great soloing options. Reaver is a ranged damage machine with a shield, teleport, aggro drop/invis and damage reduction, all while being 100% mobile. Champ/WL is a good, middle of the road versatile spec with great single target and AoE, as well as some self healing (like Lawbringer). There's also some cool hybrid stuff you can do with some of the tanking souls if you're into solo play and not min/maxing dps for raids and dungeons.

I'm least familiar with rogues, but I do know that Curative Engine from Tactician (SL soul pack) makes my low level guy unstoppable. NB/Sin is amazing dps and has a stealth. Basically any of the rogue souls paired with a few points in Tact makes for an incredible soloing machine.

I wouldn't count out Warrior or Rogue, but you might have to do a bit of digging and research to find specs you like. As most of the forum guides are centered around min/max for raiding and dungeons, solo specs don't show up as often. But they're out there, even if you have to make your own.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Koraii View Post
    I should also add (stupid edit timer) that both Warrior and Rogue have great soloing options. Reaver is a ranged damage machine with a shield, teleport, aggro drop/invis and damage reduction, all while being 100% mobile. Champ/WL is a good, middle of the road versatile spec with great single target and AoE, as well as some self healing (like Lawbringer). There's also some cool hybrid stuff you can do with some of the tanking souls if you're into solo play and not min/maxing dps for raids and dungeons.
    That's a bit out of date - Overlord (the champ/WL leveling build) breaks down around 60. Chains of Life (aoe heal finisher) doesn't scale enough to remain useful with the health and damage levels in NT; Weapon Defense (absorption shield) is one of many such skills that also scale poorly and just absorb one hit. Overlord can take on one mob fine, like any dps spec can; can survive two with cooldowns and then have to wait ~2 min. to regain health afterwards; and dies against 3+. From what I've read here in the cleric forums, the Fire Shaman build suffered the exact same problem, which is why this thread is about Inq and Druid only.

I did not find reaver to be notably survivable either, though the mobility means one can run away and break combat rather than dying. My baseline for a soloing build is if it can take on a planar foothold of equal level in the NT zones. In general reaver cannot, though with favorable terrain to LOS mobs it might have a shot in some specific cases.

At this point the only soloing build I can recommend for warriors is 61 VK/11 WL/4 champ. Very survivable, minimal down time between fights, dps isn't as bad as you'd expect of a build with 61 in a tank soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcrai
    bosses seem to have a lot of "you're melee now you're dead" attacks
    Yup, that's Rift. Trion has a bizarre antipathy towards melee builds in any form of group content. Primarily instances, but zone event bosses often have anti-melee mechanics as well. That's why I can't take this game at all seriously. One fatal flaw in an otherwise excellent game, oh well.

if you actually want to have fun i'd suggest just playing shaman and using the savant crystal for self-heals. inq is kinda wonky when soloing because of dots/channels/hard casting and doesn't have the sustained hps or aoe for decent soloing imo. as shaman i could basically chain pull whatever i wanted while healing myself every gcd with the crystal and there's no real ramp-up for damage like there is with inq when you don't have any channels up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizael View Post
    And dont use any shaman solo spec, inq is faster at killing and is ranged.
    lol this is so wrong. shaman has literally no downtime compared to inq because it doesn't rely on cd's to sustain dps or self heal.
    Last edited by ecru; 05-02-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    if you actually want to have fun i'd suggest just playing shaman and using the savant crystal for self-heals. inq is kinda wonky when soloing because of dots/channels/hard casting and doesn't have the sustained hps or aoe for decent soloing imo. as shaman i could basically chain pull whatever i wanted while healing myself every gcd with the crystal and there's no real ramp-up for damage like there is with inq when you don't have any channels up.

lol this is so wrong. shaman has literally no downtime compared to inq because it doesn't rely on cd's to sustain dps or self heal.
    This is so true. I love shaman and it plays so much smoother than inq, it is just annoying that Rift doesnt care about melee much.

Shadowlander

I'm a recent level 65. Even though I've been gearing up with NTEs and crafted I'm recent enough to not have my pink nostalgia glasses on.

I've leveled from 1 to 65 as Inq and it worked perfectly.I did not try druid or pets since I did that with my necromancer back when I played the game.

And when I say I leveled with Inq I do mean even when not needed I would only stop and lower myself to fight if I'd pull four or five mobs at once. None of this 'pull once and kill it, then pull another'.

The HoT effect from Vex (and eventually Scourge) paired with Justicar's passive healing would keep me up. When I pulled too much Judicial Privilege saved my butt.

I did die a few times as I leveled, but almost always by overdoing and trying to pull seven or eight mobs at once (not smart, if only because our AoEs are capped at five targets, though Shroud of Agony and Sign of Wrath work around it which is why I did it).

I used the Lawbringer set to level. Now that I know better I would have taken more points out of Justicar to get the Burnout lowering talents.

The build flags once we reach 48-50 since it does not scale as well. When mobs have 50k HP and hit harder the piddly healing from Justicar and Contempt does not keep up, but we can spam Healing Flare from one pull to the other.

By then I had to abandon pulling four or five mobs at once because of gear lag. Once fully geared in Storm Legion things got better, and once I got Scourge the build is revived, partly because Scourge hits like a truck but also for the second HoT effect from Contempt. Vex and Scourge let me pull four and five mobs once more.

Knowing what I do now I would not have worked towards Flaring Sigil first and instead worked towards Vampiric Essence.

Once we reach 58 everything starts again (in fact, my advice is to reach 60 and hit the AH to buy new gear. it will be a bit costly, but the difference in questing speed will be noticeable).

Fighting elites? No problem. Either face tank and trust the double HoT, Harsh Discipline and Judicial Privilege while sprinkling the knock back, stun and fear, or kite. I had a 65 elite in Tarken Glacier when I was 64 I failed to kill twice before accepting I had to kite, and then running in circles, knocking back (which conveniently also snares), stunning and spamming BoJ made me win with half HP left.

I do my farming of old raids in Inquisitor spec. We lag behind other classes by not having a reset which allows to bypass the trash, so we need to kill it. My first raid farming was very, very very slow. Guides spoke of ten minutes per raid and I'd take ten minutes per boss.

Gear and understanding the fight mechanics helped. I couldn't kill Isskal at first since it hit so hard, so I have a 52 Inq/24 druid/0 Justicar for him that lets me use three interrupts. I use the same build for the last boss of Drowned Halls, since she otherwise CCs me instead of the pet, and the last boss of Gilded Prophecy so the boss won't crystal prison me.

TL;DR

61 Inq/10 Defiler/5 Justicar for 'max' DPS solo: you get a damage buff from Rage Blight and a self heal from Loathsome Restoration, which is important to cull downtime.

61 Inq/13 Purifier/ 2 Justicar for more 'AoE' and utility: I've recently returned to this build. It does a bit less damage than the above (I'm killing raid bosses ten seconds slower) but the utility trumps that, I feel. Want to mine a nod near a mob? Shield, mine, mount, leave. Dismounted (sometimes by a grey mob)? Shield, mount, leave. Doing huge pulls in old instances and your AoE is capped at five targets? Sign of Wrath + Shroud of Agony bypasses that limit.

Anything that requires a pet (so far only the three fights I've mentioned above due to raid mechanics) might be better served by 61 druid instead of 24 but I haven't explored that avenue so far since, as mentioned, there are only three fights which call for it.

Thanks for all the great responses.

I've also been using Lawbringer, up to...22 I think? I'll certainly try the modified build, I was looking at that channeled shield pretty hard but didn't want to deviate from the build just in case I messed it up. You don't think losing 6% wisdom and 4% health is all that bad in comparison to getting the 14s burnout instead of 20s?

Also have to say, Harbinger is far easier to play than Inquisitor. Not that harder is bad, Harb could just be shoved into a couple macro's and be done with it. This class seems harder to actually place into simple macros. Can't really say which class I have more fun with but this game seems to love punishing melee so I may need to keep up with Inq over Harb for the time being. I definitely don't put out the DPS of some mages (honestly do love Stormcaller) but I sure live longer (debatable vs Harb, we both have the same tiny heals that add up forever I guess).

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    I must be doing something wrong then, because as a Inq i can survive as good as a shaman, with the exception that inq is ranged o_O

Do i really need said crystal to solo with shaman?

Shadowlander

Either way works fine. I found I prefer Sign of Wrath and Burnout to be synced and the shield to reapply faster. Either way the Justicar points were the last ones I put it, and the Purifier the first.

The channeled shield isn't of much use since we cannot use our skills while channeling.

I haven't played Harbinger, but leveling with Inq was pretty nice to me even at low levels. Vex four or five mobs, Symbol of the Torch so the mobs start hurting themselves along with Shroud of Agony procs, Soul Drain.

Eventually you'll get Fanaticism to ensure Soul Drain crits and Circle of Oblivion to fill the gap while Soul Drain recharges. If it takes longer than 15 seconds re-apply Vex to keep the trickle healing going.

I can say as 61 druid/8 inq/7 sham and healer pet, I can solo almost every elite, like akvan horrors but not matriarch. my gear is all crafted upgraded once or twice to get the 800 hit. with seer pet I can count on another 4k dps but has weaker heals.
    "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode." TrollBait goes here.
    Dahbee's Law: No matter what gets discussed, voted on, or put into the game, someone will whine.
    Dahbee's Law #2: A good gnome is a dead gnome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast