+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Melee Cleric Without Justicar in PvP?

Default Melee Cleric Without Justicar in PvP?

Isn't Shaman/x/x or Druid/x/x a bit squishy for a melee cleric in PvP without adding Justicar?

Tried both out in the early BGs (granted it was mid teens) and the Justicar/Shaman/Sent seemed much tougher then the Druid/Shaman/Sent I tried (DPS wasn't noticeably different either).

Anyone have some experience with this?

Well, depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't say Druid is a melee build, but Shaman certainly is. You could pair a druid/shaman/warden perhaps and do very well, or shaman/druid/purifier and get that self-shield.

Soulwalker

I have been playing a shaman/druid build in PvP. I was never the first, but i was always in the top 30% damage wise, i have had a lot of kill blow. On the large map i was less efficient: more players=more snare/root/stun i felt 8 second cooldown on charge too long .Ii prefered to use ranged dps or healer build on this map.
    I used sentinel for third class for the instant heal.
    Last edited by keoma01; 02-01-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Telaran

1. Mid levels do nothing for bg performance.. To test bg you need to be '8 or '9..
    2. Justicar relies on convictions which are based of life spells.. Since neither shaman nor druid spam those (1 spell for druid) you would have to use justicar attack to grant you convictions and allow you to heal.
    3. Justicar self heal needs 2 convictions to heal as much as for ex. sentinel flare
    4. If you are focused, you won't build convictions fast enough = not enough healing = dead

Atm I seriously doubt the effectiveness of cleric melee builds in pvp, escpecially if some "predictions" for beta six are true.
    Last edited by Vihor; 02-01-2011 at 08:02 AM.

If most of your points are in Justicar then you are a tank, so you would expect to be less squishy than shamans and druid. If you have Mien of Leadership up then your dps is reduced by 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by Howl_UK View Post
    If most of your points are in Justicar then you are a tank, so you would expect to be less squishy than shamans and druid. If you have Mien of Leadership up then your dps is reduced by 40%.
    But you shouldn't have Leadership active, you should have Honor for the 50% boost to Salvation, Reparation and your Doctrines. I'd imagine that the healing boost is worth a lot more than a bit more defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vihor View Post
    1. Mid levels do nothing for bg performance.. To test bg you need to be '8 or '9..
    2. Justicar relies on convictions which are based of life spells.. Since neither shaman nor druid spam those (1 spell for druid) you would have to use justicar attack to grant you convictions and allow you to heal.
    3. Justicar self heal needs 2 convictions to heal as much as for ex. sentinel flare
    4. If you are focused, you won't build convictions fast enough = not enough healing = dead

Atm I seriously doubt the effectiveness of cleric melee builds in pvp, escpecially if some "predictions" for beta six are true.
    While I would normally agree with you about the '8 or '9 aspect of going into a BG, at L15 I was destroying most everything in the BGs I was in and died once (in 8 BGs).

Of course this being the lowbie BG and PvP in Rift being new to most everyone, I expect this to change dramatically at release and end game, however running Justicar/Shaman/Sent did seem to give me a tremendous amount of toughness and enough DPS to do what I wanted done (no flashy numbers but the combination of insta-nukes, snares and the two handed damage was more then enough to beat most anyone into the ground).

However looking at the Druid and Shaman lines alone, they do not seem to sport enough defenses to make them as tough in PvP. I can survive being focused with my Justi build ... can a Druid/Shaman survive being focused in PvP (and if not, does their added DPS make up for that)?
    Last edited by Kruunch; 02-01-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Soulwalker

If you survive, then you weren't focused.

Quote Originally Posted by keoma01 View Post
    If you survive, then you weren't focused.
    Well 5+ people beating on me at the same time = focused in my definition.

There was not much difference in dmg with druid,shaman,justicar as the skills wasnt adding correctly to the dmg. Many asked about this during beta5 that i.e massive blow did abou tthe same amount of dmg as a normal autohit. Myself i didnt actually notice it before someone posted about it first on the forum during beta5 but i saw the same, skills that was supposed to add to the normal weapon dmg didnt add much and sometimes nothing it seemed. I tried almost all of the combination and i must say i noticed almost no difference in dmgoutput, except having the Justicar as main made me alot harder to kill since i could spamheal(didnt take any defence talents)
    Last edited by Ixpha; 02-01-2011 at 09:51 AM.

I've been pvping most of the times on my Shaman/druid/sentinel. And the weapon I used was a 2handed staff throughout beta, since the higher spellpower helped me with my heals, and the passive from justicar only applies to maces and hammers.

The melee cleric withouth justicar is most certainly viable and especially when you take warden or sent as your 3rd soul for more healing.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Well 5+ people beating on me at the same time = focused in my definition.
    It was like that at mid teens for me as well, i could kill off 1-3 ppls rushing into the enemy crowd and run back out and heal up/get mana fairly easy, but as i got to 25+++ the casters seem to shine, i would get nuked in seconds with same tactic.

Shadowlander

Justicar is definately going to be a dominant solo pvp class. It has all the perks, especially if u look into combining the Inquisiter into the build. It's beautiful to see all the different builds/playstyles really starting to take shape on the forums. Of course alot is going to change going into release, but atleast being in beta u get to crunch some numbers and get a feel for how the builds play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixpha View Post
    It was like that at mid teens for me as well, i could kill off 1-3 ppls rushing into the enemy crowd and run back out and heal up/get mana fairly easy, but as i got to 25+++ the casters seem to shine, i would get nuked in seconds with same tactic.
    Yeah that's about what I figured.

Wonder how badly resists will kill casters off in the end game?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Howl_UK View Post
    I am concerned abpout this attitude, while i agree that its possible to off tank as a Justicar i really dont think Tank is the only role a Justicar will be able to do. i played a justicar shaman druid in beta 5 and did fairly well in pvp. i plan on leveling this build up tho for pvp:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...xusq0hqddz.Vmk

which i think will be awesome for PVP especially for all the snares stuns and all around kite stopping ability

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast