+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One thing i noticed with melee clerics.

Ascendant

Default One thing i noticed with melee clerics.

They can use mage weapons right? well since mage satff typically have boosted stats i assume cause they dont use auto attacks or benefit from weapon dps. but melee clerics do. same level weapon for a warrior would be like 10 strength 7 dexterity and 8 endurance. but a mage staff would have like 10int 7wisdom 8 endurance and then like 95 spellpower. Wouldnt this give melee clerics a huge advanatge when picking a weapon?
    Last edited by jaym7018; 01-31-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by jaym7018 View Post
    They can use mage staffs right? well since mage satff typically have boosted stats i assume cause they dont use auto attacks or benefit from weapon dps. but melee clerics do. same level weapon for a warrior would be like 10 strength 7 dexterity and 8 endurance. but a mage staff would have like 10int 7wisdom 8 endurance and then like 95 spellpower. Wouldnt this give melee clerics a huge advanatge when picking a weapon?
    i dont see the advantage you speak of.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    i dont see the advantage you speak of.
    uh it means clerics would get big bonuses to attack power that rogues and warriors cant get.

uh it means clerics would get big bonuses to attack power that rogues and warriors cant get.
    Sucks to be them?

Cleric hammer will have spell power on it as well so it's negligible to use a mage staff.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Quakereject View Post
    Cleric hammer will have spell power on it as well so it's negligible to use a mage staff.
    ok thats what i wanted to know. So there is a disparity in weapons between melee clerics and other archtypes, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakereject View Post
    Actually, staffs are generally better to use as a melee cleric... which sucks... but its because of how the conversion for our stats give us offense... 75% wisdom 25% int..... this means that most staffs come with enough spellpower to make the negligible difference in weapon damage between 2 handed mace and staffs a moot point...

If you are min/maxing you will want to use a staff unless the 2 handed mace you have is much better.

Soulwalker

i believe you are thinking about the stats too much when most of the clerics dmg is coming from weapon dmg. so if you have a staff for example with pretty crazy looking stats and high spell power it will never be better than an equal level mace with or without similar(but obviously much lower) stats. this is because the min-max dmg + dps of the weapon will highly impact most of your dmg.

I will also say that you should have those crazy stats on almost every other piece of gear you have.

in conclusion, a 170 spell power staff will not get you the same melee results as a 2h mace of the same level.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Manmadegod View Post
    Actually, staffs are generally better to use as a melee cleric... which sucks... but its because of how the conversion for our stats give us offense... 75% wisdom 25% int..... this means that most staffs come with enough spellpower to make the negligible difference in weapon damage between 2 handed mace and staffs a moot point...

If you are min/maxing you will want to use a staff unless the 2 handed mace you have is much better.

or Unless you spec into Justicar for 10% ability damage when using a mace.. and almost every melee cleric will be Druid/Shaman/Justicar. because you get the most damage and great self heals

ok thats what i wanted to know. So there is a disparity in weapons between melee clerics and other archtypes, good to know.
    no.

there is not.

the item's budget includes the weapon's DPS stats as well as whatever attribute bonuses or spellpower it provides. you don't get the same dps output from a weapon with a lot of spellpower on it unless the weapon also gives up bonuses to your attribute scores. all items in the game for a given level and quality-type have the same "budget".
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

One thing to remember are that staffs are slow, which mean less crits, and more tries to apply conditions from skills or crits. It would not benefit a melee cleric to use staffs at all.
    Look at the Justicar line, it gives bonuses and mana gain to from shield blocks and damage, also to certain melee weapon use . The Shaman and Druid souls gives mana gain from crits and heals (shaman). The less you crit as a melee cleric the less effective you will be, and will be limiting your options skill wise as well. Thus most melee healers would choose a faster weapon, and if they have a crit build most likely a one hander for faster rotations.
    If there is a staff that gives a bonus to melee crit then there is something to worry about.
    Last edited by Jose Quervo; 01-31-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Rift Disciple

2h hammers have better damage ranges.

Staves typically have less wisdom and more int.

Clerics get 25% more Spellpower and therefore AP, from wisdom then int.

With equal budgets a 2h hammer will always be better for a cleric.

Since melee weapons are being normalized for attack abilities it remains to be seen in 1h and offhand (not shield) will be about equal dps.
    Last edited by Niminion; 01-31-2011 at 10:07 PM.

What i did notice with wands is that a few of them have crit spell on it, while many 2handers do not (i assume SOME have, but i havent found it) .

I might be weird....but i like the shield line. It does provide dps also on a 20 sec coool down and mana regen (which is a pita if not spec'd right). That along with faster skill rotation on a one hand. It all depends on your build.

I know the blue lvl 19?? two handed mace for the low cost of 5 planar shards and like 100 planerite had the same amount of spellpower on it as the two handed staff and the same exact stats, but it was preferable to use the hammer because you get a bonus talent for using maces.

What I saw was Warriors actually hit hard and have a lot more offense with off global cooldown instant attacks while the Cleric has a lot more healing and a lot less defense and offense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast