+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about making a melee cleric

Shadowlander

Default Question about making a melee cleric

Having trouble deciding on what I should do with my 3rd soul for a solo melee cleric. This is build I have come up with so far:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...GcIo.xuzo.Vg0M

Would dropping Druid for warden give me an advantage to the stuff I can solo because of the HoTs? Or should I keep druid because of the increased attack power and crit chance.

Rift Chaser

Shaman/druid/justicar already has great survivability from salvation+doctrines+shaman/druid shields.

Your build looks similar to one i had planned except i went 44 shaman for courage of the eagle (wisdom+int is far better than dex or endurance for shaman dps) 12 justicar for precept of purpose and only 10 druid. something like this. The reason i skipped the druid faerie healing bonus is due to the fact that you aren't deep enough to get a greater faerie and until then the pet is only moderately useful imo.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...usGsco.xuMo.Vx

Hailstones is a very noticeable damage increase for shaman and the ability to spread courage/heart buffs to raid adds a ton of utility that may help justify the spot for a shaman dps. I have leveled this build to 20 during beta 5 with primary points in shaman and it is really just steamrolling mobs with absolutely 0 downtime. If you build this way save the heart buffs and shared purpose for very late in the build as they are more of a raiding utility than anything and only hit their true genius at 44 points in to shaman.
    Last edited by orakio; 01-31-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by tifania View Post
    Having trouble deciding on what I should do with my 3rd soul for a solo melee cleric. This is build I have come up with so far:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...GcIo.xuzo.Vg0M

Would dropping Druid for warden give me an advantage to the stuff I can solo because of the HoTs? Or should I keep druid because of the increased attack power and crit chance.
    id drop justicar for warden

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeg View Post
    id drop justicar for warden

But you lose 10% damage. I could see dropping druid but why justicar?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by tifania View Post
    But you lose 10% damage. I could see dropping druid but why justicar?
    druid has a ton of melee passive abilities that help shaman alot. crit, ap bonus range snare, elemental dmg etc.

warden will net u a hot and spammable water range attack. justicar isnt a dps tree but a survivability tree... id also recomend going 44 into shaman to pic up courage of the eagle read over that buff and its a godsend for us.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeg View Post
    druid has a ton of melee passive abilities that help shaman alot. crit, ap bonus range snare, elemental dmg etc.

warden will net u a hot and spammable water range attack. justicar isnt a dps tree but a survivability tree... id also recomend going 44 into shaman to pic up courage of the eagle read over that buff and its a godsend for us.
    Yea i just remade my spec to pick up the 44 point buff. But as to justicar isnt soloing about survivability? Those heal procs along with the 10% damage just seems to good to pass up. I also get the instant heal with Doctrine of Bliss although I dont know how much it will heal for at higher levels.

Why would you NOT pick battle charge? A 70% snare, a teleport (sort of), and damage?

Even if it was just the charge, no damage, no snare, it'd be worth it.

Soulwalker

good soul selection, but put your points into justicar for main soul..forgoing the right side unless trion decides to give some love to the cleric shield. just stick with the 2h and place points in the middle and left side of the justicar tree. shaman was/is a great soul, but if unstoppable force is removed (rumoured), then that will sting for survivability and mana regen both (ouch!)...however, looks like the druid pet will or might get some attention as far as healing goes.

i haven't seen a better combination for a melee cleric than just/sham/druid, but how much does it really matter if you will be able to arrange all the cleric souls out-of-combat anyway?..pick what works best for you!
    Last edited by ReesRacer; 01-31-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

For my shaman/druid build I use the sentinel 0 point ability for an extra isntant heal, so I can put more points into the other two souls.

Reason I don't use Justicar for the dmg boost, is that it only works for maces and hammers, and I usually run around with 2handed staves.

But that's just my personal preference.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ReesRacer View Post
    then that will sting for survivability and mana regen both (ouch!)
    They are specifically not removing the mana regen on crit passive, just the health regen one. I am quite sad to see it go though.

As to soul combos, I like Shaman/Druid with your choice of 3rd soul for a melee cleric. Justicar is a solid choice for soloing with 6 points in it (gets you the Doctrine that heals yourself) but past that kind of useless, as the rest of the soul is all about shields and tanking and the like. Warden is the other popular option since it gives you an instant cast HoT and nuke.

Shadowlander

I will go with something like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10....xqxzsGsck.xzc
    Crag hammer gives more damage to our melee hits, and i find Erupt of Life one of my hardest hitting spell combined with massive blow. Justicar is for healing of course, but i also like the weapon enhancement Salvation, and if you want to have mein honor for more healing you can just take one point from frozen embrace and put it somewhere in justicar, i prefer life's devotion.

or this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...0txo.xqxzsGsMk
    Last edited by balazsrift; 02-01-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Telaran

I can see them taking out unstoppable force healing ....

Think about this for melee (most arn't from what I see) Justicar Salvation.

if you take the talent for Salvation you end up with a great percentage that heals for 11% of the dmg you do. This also opens up the option of Mein of Honor to reduce your threat and then Reparation if yo uwant to help heal your party/raid WHILE DOING DMG.

Now if you had this AND unstoppable Force..... who needs a healer at 1500 health you heal yourself for 75 health every crit AND 11% of that dmg as well so I am sure like 100 per Crit and if built right you should be critting like mad.

the main issue I find with shamans is MANA pool goes SOOO fast.

Rift Disciple

Reparation from justicar is good for any group activity, and if you add in one more point (say, shield of faith?) That will give you Precept of Purpose, which should take care of the shaman mana needs.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jarric View Post
    I can see them taking out unstoppable force healing ....
    They are unfortunately.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ReesRacer View Post
    good soul selection, but put your points into justicar for main soul..forgoing the right side unless trion decides to give some love to the cleric shield. just stick with the 2h and place points in the middle and left side of the justicar tree. shaman was/is a great soul, but if unstoppable force is removed (rumoured), then that will sting for survivability and mana regen both (ouch!)...however, looks like the druid pet will or might get some attention as far as healing goes.

i haven't seen a better combination for a melee cleric than just/sham/druid, but how much does it really matter if you will be able to arrange all the cleric souls out-of-combat anyway?..pick what works best for you!
    The problem with most players is that they are all hell bent on having THE BEST spec and even though it doesn't exist, THE BEST spec is what you like most, thats what i think and i live by it, which is why when this game goes live, i plan to just do runs with my guild, since they are more open-minded then a bunch of perfectionists.

+ Reply to Thread