+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric Class Discussion

Default Cleric Class Discussion

My point here is to give honest opinions, yours and mine, about the different souls within the Cleric Class.

Justicar - The Mein of Leadership gives nice Armor and HP buffs, but the avoidance is sorely lacking. Even with jewelry and planar essences with Strength on them, my Block, Block Value, Parry, and (obviously) Dodge are still pathetic compared to a warrior. it seems that there simply isn't any gear to allow a Justicar to truly function as a Main Tank. While, they obviously are serviceable tanks in 5-mans like RotF, I can't imagine that will hold up at levels 45-50 without some serious changes in gear that would allow the Clerics to wear more strength-based gear for the Tank or Melee DPS specs. perhaps I simply haven't found the gear, but the bonus from Spell power to Blocking doesn't amount to much, even wearing mostly blues from RotF with Tons of Int and Spell power. The avoidance mechanics for this soul seem extremely underpowered because there isn't any gear to specialize enough.

Sentinel - AOEs cost extremely high amounts of mana. I can't imagine trying to AOE heal without getting the 10% cost reduction from the Sentinel tree. Sentinels get a very nice instant, 2 second, 3 second and several AOE heals. They cover the whole spectrum. They also get a battle rez... always handy. I just wonder if the 31 point talent in the Purifier tree (Surging flames) out-weighs the AOE heals of the Sentinel due to the cost effectiness of the method and the fact that healing can be focused on the tank... even at a 70% efficiency. I would like to see the point cost drop or the critical heal effectiveness rise for that 5-point tree ability "walk in the light." Like spend 5 points, get 10-15% or spend 3 points get 6% or something. I seriously think this is the most balanced healing soul, you really don't need another soul to pair with this one unless you are trying to deal a little damage when you solo or you wanna be a little tougher. A Warden's HOTs are a nice addition, but not needed.

Warden - it seems to me that, for healing purposes, there a good reason to spend 13 points in this tree. Like you could spend 13 out of the minimum 15 extra points you'll have leftover from Sentinel or Purifier on this class and be done with it. It's almost obligatory for any Cleric build to spend those 13 points here. Overflow, Diona's Gift, and Orbs of the stream are pretty nice, but ultimately not as impressive as the Sentinel and purifier late-tree abilities, IMO. I just wonder which one the 3 healer trees stacks up the best in terms of heals per second, maximum output and mana regen in the end-game with skills maxed and raid geared.

Purifier - This class has simplicity of purpose that is interesting - if I heal the tank and heal only him, my over-healing heals my party members. Great way to stay focused pounding the tank with heals and a nice raid-based spec to have in a raid group, even if it is a little deficient in AOE healing for casters and a spread-out group. Combine this soul with healer's covenant from Sentinel and the 13 base points spent in Warden and it would have very nice shielding ability for a tank as well as itself along with very nice single-target healing, combining HOTS, increases in size, Decreases in cost, and increased crit chance, and it could be a staple build for raid healing for the tank and melee DPS. I would like to see more shielding or some bigger bonuses to the size of this class'es single-target heals, since its AOEs are so tank-centered.

i have not significantly played the others because they appear not to be tanks or healers and I am not DPS by nature. Your thoughts are welcome in response. I'm truly torn between maximizing HOT healing from the warden and massive healing from the Sentinel. I don't like being single-target based and I'd have a hard time giving up HOTs or the statical bonuses from the Sentinel to try and pair a 32 purifier with a 32 sentinel or Warden. interesting choices and it appears there is not one right way of doing it... it varies based on personality and style. I hope this helps those trying to choose their souls and the devs as they try to balance classes/souls as is rumored in the next beta.
    Live forever or die trying..

Core i7 950|12GB Corsair Dominator DDR31600|SLIx2 EVGA GTX 470

I think it depends on what you plan to do with the soul. PvP is different than PVE. I prefer mostly Sentinel for PVP. The aoes reduce damage taken with a few points, Healers Covenant was very useful in PVP.

My big thing, my deciding factor is Rifts' imagination.

I mean some of these soul will heal better on a tank and spank than others. But lets say on the upper end boss you need to be smart and work things out. For example a boss with an aura that damages you if you stand still. Or a Boss that does AOE damage and more damage based on how close together you are with other raiders. Warden seems like the best choice, lots of instance heals, lots of abilities to throw heals around a spread out raid.

One or two of the healing cleric souls seems better if you get to stand still and heal spam on a tank while eating from a bag of chips.

How about a Boss that goes into a weakened state taking 300% damage or something, a dps Justicar is going to go bat **** with heals .

4 slots for different styles of your archetype. I'll have a slot for each.

I don't know maybe I'm misunderstanding the posters point or question.

no question, just statement of opinion for discussion and for the devs.
    Live forever or die trying..

Core i7 950|12GB Corsair Dominator DDR31600|SLIx2 EVGA GTX 470

+ Reply to Thread