+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Justicar Tanking

Telaran

Default Justicar Tanking

So from what i gathered by looking at the skills (Unless something drastically changes) No cleric class can main tank do to lacking a very basic requirement. Also know as a Taunt. The threat cooldown conviction makes it hard to lose agro once you do have it... but if for any reason you lose agro during the fight, going to be pretty much impossible to get it back. Because of how much damage reduction you can stack on one though, it may be worth entertaining the idea of a defensive spec. If i calculated it out right, you can add an adititional10%+ dmg reduction (10% from talents plus another 5-10% additional armor from the inquisitor talent when it ranks up higher). so a justicar tank heals itself, takes somewhere between 50%-60% less damage, can hold agro on 5 mobs at once with even justice, and has a COMBAT REZ. Wait did someone say combat rez? With Righteous mandate, a 2H Justicar melee healer might actually be viable. Its something i want to test in the next patch, just for fun
    My 2 builds for Justicar:

Justicar Tank: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...EusqVuaddz.V0E
    Justicar 2H Heal: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...gucoVhoddz.VVx

With Mien of Leadership active, Bolt of Radiance becomes a taunt. Justicars are just missing the 10 target AoE taunt that every other tank soul gets.

Rift Disciple

Yep - a variant of that 10 target taunt would be nice. The AE healing does help a little though, that seems to at least get some attention pretty quickly, though it's not as certain or effective as a true taunt.

Shadowlander

For your 2h Healer template i'd highly recommend u spend the extra point in the armor to get the level 32 ability, as well as grab a warden and take them to 20 for the + to mana and healing. It will also give u a stackable HoT with lots of perks. Needless to say it's an insta heals nightmare for pvp with more than enough survivability.

Soulwalker

The only concern I have with Justicar tanking right now is the block mechanics. During the last beta I would block quite a bit, the few times I actually used a shield, but it would block for 0-1 dmg. Anyone know if they have fixed this or made mail gear with Str and Dex stats (i think those are the ones that effect block amount)? Otherwise I have read some suggestions of trying a 2h tank build though i doubt it would be viable end game, might be quite nice tho for the earlier instances/group fights.

-Pyro

Rift Disciple

If you replace inquisitor with Druid for your tank build you get a bonus to endurance (hp) and an extra dmg absorb shield, oak shield, plus a strike that reduces all inc dmg by 5%.

And as mentioned before, you get an 8 sec taunt with bolt of radiance if u have the tank aura on.

For aoe agro, like during the last boss fight in fae dungeon I just hit precept of valiance and spam my Even justice a few times.

What we are really missing is:

-better self mana regen
    -proper block functionality and scaling
    -better base/scaling of other tank stats like dodge/parry/armor ie cleric shields with low armor

I'm pretty happy with the spec otherwise. Had no problems with agro, and with righteous mandate on the healer I could ensure that myself and the healer would never die, plus aoe heals if I need to throw them out.

Otherwise I have read some suggestions of trying a 2h tank build though i doubt it would be viable end game, might be quite nice tho for the earlier instances/group fights.

while strange, I think a 2h justicar tank could very well work. If they go based off certain key aspects of feral druid or blood tank......have a shield that absorbs 30% dmg everytime you crit with a 2h, or using a certain strike will put up a buff that lets you absorb a % of damage taken....so boss hits would heal you for alot more then normal player damage.

I think a crit based absorb shield would be great for a 2h tank archetype......but since we have shields, and abilities like precept of refuge, I would rather they just work on making block work since it's a pretty good mechanic, along with cleric shields being more attractive and scaling better for deep justicar tanks.
    Last edited by Synthisis; 01-31-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Telaran

I also think you need Favor of Valhnir. I might have spelled that incorrectly, but anything that increases your healing recieved is always a good thing.

I could also see taking the Purifier soul being a good idea. That shield seems like it would be a great thing to use in an emergency,.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwaffles View Post
    I also think you need Favor of Valhnir. I might have spelled that incorrectly, but anything that increases your healing recieved is always a good thing.

I could also see taking the Purifier soul being a good idea. That shield seems like it would be a great thing to use in an emergency,.
    I think 13 points into shaman is pretty much obligatory. You get another 5% damage mitigation plus the +15% to healing received. You also get a shield at 10 points.

This is what I did last beta. Next I'll swap purifier for druid as it has a 2 point shield and with more points to spend I can grab the added endurance.

I don't think the low armor value on cleric shields is a big deal as I had no problem taking a beating. Not sure why you're getting blocked damage of 0-1, I was definitely blocking more than that. The area I had problems was mostly aggro, sometimes I had trouble pulling mobs off people when they pulled aggro but it was never enough of a problem that it caused a wipe or even anyone to die.

With all crit chances from mobs taken out of dungeons from 1-50, a 2handed justicar will work in my opinion. In a balanced party with a bard, and using a shield I had 4400 armor, without a shield 4100 armor. That resulted at my level in a 2% drop in dmg mitigation. (I still had 42%).

Using Mein Of Leadership reduces all the dmg you do, decreasing your 1 handed dps mace into a kitchen knife. When going a 2 hander you will be doing close the dmg of a 1handed mace, you're healing recieved from Salvation and healing done From reparation will be higher, which in return generates more threat.

I'll certainly try it out next beta and see how it goes.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Yes threat through damage looks as if it will be an issue if you go shield route (making all the Justicar block/shield abilities a waste of time). The Justicar gets a tripple whammy

Low DPS as it is a Tank/heal soul, that low DPS then gets hit by another 40% reduction under Mein leadership, and if you do have a shield you are using a one handed mace - end result you hit like a wet tissue.

AoE threat - well we have Even Justice/Vengeful Justice/precept of valiance gives you some nice AoE threat - not as great as other tanks but should be enough to keep 6 mobs on you.

Telaran

Have to disagree about threat generation. Because of the fact everytime I hit with a justicar ability I heal with salvation, every whack is doing double threat automatically. Now add raid heal doctrine betwseen the threat generation and mana doctrines, your not going to have much of an issue I think. The reason I went inquisitor is those armor buffs increase life damage dealt. More damage = more threat. There is a decent endurance buff in there that off sets going higher in shaman for the better endurance buff and going druid for the 5% endurance. Sounds like all I have to do now is steal a warrior shield

Shadowlander

sooooo after reading everything i take it justicars will make out to be nice OT's lol.
    Last edited by diabolikill; 02-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Massdan View Post
    Have to disagree about threat generation. Because of the fact everytime I hit with a justicar ability I heal with salvation, every whack is doing double threat automatically. Now add raid heal doctrine betwseen the threat generation and mana doctrines, your not going to have much of an issue I think. The reason I went inquisitor is those armor buffs increase life damage dealt. More damage = more threat. There is a decent endurance buff in there that off sets going higher in shaman for the better endurance buff and going druid for the 5% endurance. Sounds like all I have to do now is steal a warrior shield
    Trust me your 1handed mace won't cut it. And you will be using your doctrines more for Precept Of Valiance, the amount of dmg we block is 0, yes 0, and the amount of damage mitigation you loose is 2% from not having a shield.

As soon as my group is ready for the next dungeon, I'm respeccing into my Justicar and going 2handed tank to see how it works.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    Trust me your 1handed mace won't cut it. And you will be using your doctrines more for Precept Of Valiance, the amount of dmg we block is 0, yes 0, and the amount of damage mitigation you loose is 2% from not having a shield.

As soon as my group is ready for the next dungeon, I'm respeccing into my Justicar and going 2handed tank to see how it works.
    I don't get why everyone is saying you block for zero damage. The damage I was blocking waxs low true (the best block I got was a twenty or twenty five damage block) but that sure ain't zero!!! It is true I did have the foul cascade cleric shield so that might help

Shadowlander

Question, i am a 19 justicar, and if i go 2handed tank thats fine, i have a nice 2 handed Cleric mace. My question is that if i went with Druid/Justicar/Shaman, do the buffs i get(courage of XXXX, Cavalier, ect) stack? do i get a second buff if they both do the same thing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast