+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Cabalist

Default The Cabalist

Okay, guys - what do you think about these rumors regarding the changes to Cabalists?

If they are accurate, I must admit that I'm a bit pissed at the nerf to obliterate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominar View Post
    Okay, guys - what do you think about these rumors regarding the changes to Cabalists?

If they are accurate, I must admit that I'm a bit pissed at the nerf to obliterate.
    I wouldn't worry about any possible changes that are rumored via leaked notes or anything until they go live on beta.

If they go live then express your concerns in the general forums nicely and you'll probably get quite a bit of response. Trion is good about listening to the player base so if you construct a valid discussion against the change they will probably consider it.
    We don't want a game, we want a second home. We play for escape.

I've seen several sets of supposedly leaked patch notes, and they all varied widely from each other, so I don't put any stock in them. I remember in Warhammer a set of well written, but fake, patch notes got put out that had the community jumping for joy! Only to find out they were fake, and no one got the changes they wanted in the real patch.

Remember this is a beta, every single soul is subject to change, sometimes drastically. After release you can probably expect the smaller tweaks. It is not a good practice to get attached to any soul at this point.

Rift Disciple

I think the devs are still tinkering with the mechanic for Cabalist from what I've read throughout the forums... It took a drastic change from beta 4 to beta 5 and like someone above said its still beta, classes are subject to drastic changes.

Since I knew nothing of any cabby adjustments, I rolled a cleric with cabby as main soul for damage and loved it.

Rift Disciple

Since I knew nothing of any cabby adjustments, I rolled a cleric with cabby as main soul for damage and loved it.
    Is it just me, or did Cabalist feel a bit scatter-brained in beta 5? Lurking decay and sigils felt more like a hasty tack-on to the class rather than soul-defining mechanics.
    Don't get me wrong, overall they're interesting concepts, and I won't deny that I probably wasn't playing it to its fullest potential or even necessarily as intended, but to me it just feels the tree isn't very synergized with itself.

Thing that threw me off the most with cabalist was the insane CD on obliterate. Other then tyranny there is no other use for Lurking Decay an it just sits there doing nothing.

They should of had decay work as a modifier for other abilities or via a talent or something, if they were hell bent on the crazy long cd on obliterate. Wouldn't of minded seeing a talent that did something like. For each stack of lurking decay consumed by obliterate X or Y ability does more dmg.

You can still get it down to 30 seconds, but it requires more points now.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Rift Master

yes, the soul in b5 felt as "lets try this new idea, then we'll build from that" and that's exactly what it is I think.
    it need more work on sigils and to distribute them better in the root, bunched after 36 points tend to defeat the whole rift way of thinking about souls.
    this said the soul its good, mixed wisely with other souls you get lots of options for high mobility (instants, dot etc.), huge burst options and burst aoe plus maelstorm which can do the stuff of legends when used with a good group.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    yeah i know ive read the notes. its still a long cool down on a "soul defining mechanic" when there is one other spell that uses it an is a high mana cost aoe.

If anything it should be brought down to 15 seconds or throw in another spell that uses lurking decay. i wouldnt mind it if it was one of the cabalist 36+ investment tools like 1 second off for each extra point spent in the tree. so if someone were to take 51 points in cabalist they'd have a 15 second CD obliterate to weave in

Quote Originally Posted by Alkir View Post
    yeah i know ive read the notes. its still a long cool down on a "soul defining mechanic" when there is one other spell that uses it an is a high mana cost aoe.

If anything it should be brought down to 15 seconds or throw in another spell that uses lurking decay. i wouldnt mind it if it was one of the cabalist 36+ investment tools like 1 second off for each extra point spent in the tree. so if someone were to take 51 points in cabalist they'd have a 15 second CD obliterate to weave in
    yeah i agree with you. although it will be much easier to spam tyranny now that it isn't a ground target - so perhaps they took that into consideration.
    Last edited by pokett; 02-01-2011 at 01:59 AM.

"I find that hopelessness makes the best aphrodisiac..."

Quote Originally Posted by Alkir View Post

Quote Originally Posted by pokett View Post
    yeah i agree with you. although it will be much easier to spam tyranny now that it isn't a ground target - so perhaps they took that into consideration.
    I think Tiranny and obliterate both define the Cablist class, and changing the mechanic of Tiranny is huge, it will allows to be quicker casting it, thus maximizing the tiranny then it was in beta5.

I'm really going deep into cabalist with this change now, as the ground targetting really annoyed me playing the cabalist.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

oh the ground targeting thing drove me crazy an had me go more inquisitor. still just felt like it was missing something when i played as cabalist. suppose this just further shows the benefit of inquisitor taking mana reduction to dmg spells talent. to make tyranny a bit more of an option to be thrown into the rotation.

My only other real gripe with the class was Sigil's. but i only had a chance to really use binding an that was in pvp as a bit of a peel off the healers
    Last edited by Alkir; 02-01-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    Basically this, it takes 5 points instead of 3 now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast