+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cleric DPS class and why?

Default Favorite Cleric DPS class and why?

Hey all! Figured I'd help kick off these forums with a little banter about the clerics who are out to do harm to others!

Specifically Cabalist, Druid, Shaman, Inquisitor and Justicar (to a lesser extent).

What is your favorite damage dealing cleric? Why do you like that class, what do you feel their biggest downfall is?

I feel now is the time to sort out any issues we have with the classes and try to offer advice to other players on how to effectively play the character so we can all be awesome clerics! So please, post about your favorite and feel free to ask questions of the other players!

Currently my favorite DPS is the Druid class.

The strong points are having pets, some debuffing attacks, solid mana use to damage ratio and a good variety of useful buttons to mash, keeping things interesting. Plus around 18 points spent you get Crag Hammer which does indeed stack with the Shaman's Vengeance of the Winter storm, adding up to some nice additional damage.

Cons: Levels 1-16 are pretty slow as the Druid's melee dps doesn't really get high until he gets Eruption of Life at 16. Once the cleric gets this ability their damage jumps quite a bit.

If eruption of life misses or gets parried, Druid dps drops significantly until the ability is off of cooldown.

Damage pet (Satyr) is not available until 31 points spent, causing the player to be stuck with a fairy who does minimal damage, though the healing is actually somewhat nice for keeping topped off.

I haven't had the chance to try the Greater Fairy yet, but I hope to get it this weekend. If anyone can share experiences or tell us what the greater fairy abilities are that would be much appreciated!
    We don't want a game, we want a second home. We play for escape.

Shaman: it's the "RAWR ME SMASH UR FACE!!!!!" cleric build.

It's biggest downfall is the lack of variety within the class. You have only 4 abilities native to the soul that you'd use, Massive Blow, Lightning Hammer, Crushing Blow and Strike of the Maelstrom.

Shadowlander

Not sure what to really call the build yet, but i've seen alot of potential in the survivability of the Justicar. Couple it in with a sub soul for your own taste, taking it in the healing direction or the dps side.

Quote Originally Posted by Skryth View Post
    Shaman: it's the "RAWR ME SMASH UR FACE!!!!!" cleric build.
    I didn't get the opportunity to play shaman much last beta....so maybe you can answer a few short questions.

Do the courage abilities stack on a Shaman? I see 3 listed one increases dex, one increases endurance and the other increases wisdom/intelligence.

Does Vengeance of the Ageless Ice cancel out Vengeance of the Winter Storm? It seems somewhat silly but according to the tool tip it would. I'm not sure why a 25 second buff would cancel an hour long buff. Vengeance of the Primal North is also a 25 second buff, so I'm sure this applies there too but we can't test it yet as it is a 51 point talent.

So far still finding that special fit for me. Offspec will always be solid healing build for instances since the general populace will always shun a dps version of the main healer role, so if I'm not rollin with my gnomies it's time to heal I guess. Otherwise I'm playing with hybrid caster/melee options to open up new doors and maybe add a bit more pvp viability at lower levels. Shaman just doesn't have the CC available to it to really be able to isolate someone and take them down on it's own. Great for pve soloing, not gonna lie, paired with sent for the insta heal coupled with the reactive heal it makes it incredibly easy for multiple mob mashing.

Going to play with Inq/Shm/Dru possibly to have even more ae options and more mana replenishment options and see how it works.
    Just when you think you're right, stop right there and don't go any further. It'll save time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungodly View Post
    I didn't get the opportunity to play shaman much last beta....so maybe you can answer a few short questions.

Do the courage abilities stack on a Shaman? I see 3 listed one increases dex, one increases endurance and the other increases wisdom/intelligence.

Does Vengeance of the Ageless Ice cancel out Vengeance of the Winter Storm? It seems somewhat silly but according to the tool tip it would. I'm not sure why a 25 second buff would cancel an hour long buff. Vengeance of the Primal North is also a 25 second buff, so I'm sure this applies there too but we can't test it yet as it is a 51 point talent.

Yes, each different version cancels the previous.

Ageless Ice provides a solid amount of mana replenishment, casting storm after it's run its course is not a huge deal. It's basically a mana refill if you pop it at the right time, and on AE packs it guarantees a full mana bar returned.

Basically the base form of the courages do the same exact thing, the unique forms of them are what you consider when buffing.
    Last edited by Quakereject; 01-31-2011 at 04:05 PM.

As I think in terms of pure dps Shaman > Druid > Justicar.

Inq/Cabal - less dps to 1 target, then shaman, but impressive AOE (which may be nerfed).

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ungodly View Post

read the ability tooltips it clearly states you can only have 1 vengeance on at a time.

My favorite combo is Shaman/Druid/Purifier
    Last edited by Chronium; 01-31-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Druid/Shammy/Justicar or Templar
    sooo goooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    Leimone Whitefall EU | Cleric

Rift Disciple

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...E0x0cGcIk.xuco

self heals from justicar with conviction spamming added to rotation for heals if you took more then 2 mobs at a time,
    very easy to tank elites same lvl can solo rifts,
    has 2 different shields absorbing damage,
    crag hammer combined with vengeance of storm okus eruption of life and ice shield, ALOT OF NUMBERS apear
    silence and sleep for pvp
    pet with 2 second cast so u can have it in pvp instead of not bothering to cast it when or if you die

very good lvl build and pve build, and awesom for pvp , the survivability is insane while still putting out respectable dps
    Last edited by getstaffed; 01-31-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Soulwalker

The vengeance/courage spells don't stack, but i think shaman dps is better than any other cleric dps unless they got nerfed bad in this last beta. The shaman aoe does really good dmg, is spammable, and you can get a good chunk of mana back by using your mana regen buff while using the aoe attack. Also, a shaman/druid is great because their shield spells don't share a cd. When your shaman dmg/adsorb shield goes down you can follow it up immediately with your druid absorb shield. Its great for soloing.

Shadowlander

I'm loving Druid/shaman/warden.
    Got my cleric to 30 in beta5 I think i was using http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00ean..Vgtohot0z.VV at the end of it. Not sure the 10% critical damage from weight of the world and overwhelming stack.
    The instant hot and spammable instant ranged spell from warden is awesome. And in my opinion is better than anything justicar would bring at 0 points. the Passive healing from salvation is cool, but it's too low to be very useful. 40% to heal for 5% of the ability damage.
    The faerie/greater faerie don't do a ton of damage but the heal and hot are nice passive healing.
    Atleast for the time being I'm liking druids over shaman, but the next beta builds will show they stack up better. If the Satyr sucks the druid might have some trouble for pve anyway since I can't see the 32/38/44 point root skills being very useful for pve, but could very much be useful for pvp. The 51 point ability looks decent for both, but I'm on the fence about spending that much in a single tree.

Tried out justicar a bit in solo play, didn't get to run any dungeons as it. But currently I'm not a big fan, could be that I've never really like tank archetypes that get a lot of their survivability from healing themselves. They tend to be either OP or weak depending on the encounter.

Didn't play much caster dps in beta5, but i played inquisitor/warden in beta4 who was pretty fun, having spammable water and death dots and having a cd life dot in addition to decent nukes and two knockbacks was pretty cool. Felt like that spec was heavy on mana usage compared to the other builds I tried. But that was in the mid-low 20s so given another 10 or 20 levels to get all the regen/efficiency skills it might be nice to use.

Quote Originally Posted by radzyn View Post
    The vengeance/courage spells don't stack, but i think shaman dps is better than any other cleric dps unless they got nerfed bad in this last beta. The shaman aoe does really good dmg, is spammable, and you can get a good chunk of mana back by using your mana regen buff while using the aoe attack. Also, a shaman/druid is great because their shield spells don't share a cd. When your shaman dmg/adsorb shield goes down you can follow it up immediately with your druid absorb shield. Its great for soloing.
    druids have a wild strike which is pretty much an exact copy of the 3 target cleave thing that shaman have. As well as having fae hammer, a bit weaker mana regen ability (lasting 10 seconds rather than 25).
    Last edited by star1ight; 01-31-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Soulwalker

I had great fun wit the cabalist, unfortunately they nerfed the crap out of my two fav spells,

tyrrany: turned into AOE from GTAOE
    obliterate: doubled the cooldown

Inquisitor is great as well
    Not nearly as much KABOOM power
    Much more longevity
    I play PvP and switch to Inquisitor when OOM as Cabalist

I've been mulling around what to take as my third soul for my Druid main/Shaman off spec.....i'd be willing to spend some points into the third soul but not much more than 11.

Currently I'm really leaning towards justicar for Life's Devotion and Reparation....I felt these two abilities could be really helpful when running DPS with a group.

Plus i figure with justicar Hammer of Virtue is super nice for damage, doctrine of loyalty is a nice little extra oomph to healing and the threat reduction from Mein of Honor may be necessary later for dps.

Aoe wise inquistor sent puri, for PvE being able to grind 3-5mobs easily and sometimes upto 7 with severe danger is just great for questing and leveling for pvp the aoe isnt that great due to that fact that it is a self radius long cast due to stuns/knockbacks nullifying its effectiveness in none groupd targets. It also has low single target dps. But since I was just leveling haven't really tried other combos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast