+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inner Focus and Melee Abilities

Question Inner Focus and Melee Abilities

Hello all,

I am unsure as to weather the 5% increase to critical hit chance associated with the first tier inquisitor branch talent [Inner Focus] impacts on the melee attacks used within the Shaman and Druid trees.

I guess what this really comes down to is weather [Crushing Blow], [Fervent Strike] and [Fated Blow] count as the "Damaging Spells" mentioned in the Talent tool tip.

My initial assumption was that they do, however I wanted to double check now that there's a specific Cleric forum.

Thanks,

Reportus

If it's a spell, it's increased, it states that it increases the critical chance of your damaging spells. So no, it shouldn't be affecting melee abilities.
    Just when you think you're right, stop right there and don't go any further. It'll save time.

But since all three melee-type Cleric souls have a buff to convert spell stats to physical stats, it could still apply anyways.

In some strange way, I guess that would be possible, but it would be stupid since it is specifically worded to damaging spells.
    Just when you think you're right, stop right there and don't go any further. It'll save time.

Rift Chaser

I can only take a guess as game servers are down and i never thought to test this.

I do not believe that this will affect melee abilities. This is because the talent does not actually increase your spell crit rating it just gives you a 5% increase to spell crit while the druid/justi/shaman abilities increase melee crit rating by your spell crit rating.

Basically no spell crit RATING improvement means no melee crit rating improvement. I will test it further after beta 6 goes live.

Shadowlander

Redundant question I'm sure but beta 6 goes when? A link to planned beta dates would help my n00b self tons!

Rift Disciple

no it doesnt add 5% to MELEE ABILITIES, it adds 5% to CRITICAL HIT CHANCE FOR DAMAGING SPELLS... only for spells, not druid/shaman abilities.

Thanks for your responses everyone, I believe you've pretty much straightened that one out for me. I think you've got it pretty right Orakio.

Xerre the beta goes live Friday at 10 pacific yankee time.

On my inquisitor/warden, the 5% spell crit showed on my stats screen as 10.6% + 5%. So if you would use the buffs that convert spellcrit to meleecrit it would convert over.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

Plane Touched

I actually don't know the answer to the crit question, specifically, but what I do know for sure is that the melee attack abilities in the Justicar, Shaman, and Druid trees are not considered spells. I did a test last beta with the Warden branch ability that increases the damage of instant cast spells by 10%. It does not affect the melee strikes (which are all instant). I am 100% certain about this.

I also know for 100% certain that the melee attack abilities have their critical chance dictated by your melee crit chance and have their DPS influenced by attack power, not spell power.

However, all the melee cleric souls include those buffs that add spell crit to melee crit, spell power to attack power, and spell focus to melee to-hit. I do not know if "bonus" chance is copied over, or just the base chance. So as the previous posted suggests, if spell crit is listed as "10.3 + 5%", I am not sure if just the 10.3% is copied over from spell to melee crit by the buff, or the whole thing.

I do however know that the effects of the buff are shown in your character sheet, so you should be able to hover over your melee crit rating with and without the buff on, and see how much it goes up by.
    Last edited by Joehunk; 02-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Shadowlander

Thanks dude ^^

+ Reply to Thread