+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dear Cleric Community: Wardens Can Heal

Default Dear Cleric Community: Wardens Can Heal

So, I recall not in this weeks podcast but last weeks, Ari talked about how her hubby rerolled Sentinel because Wardens can't heal. I was offended by this.

It's true, no healer focused on Heal over Time healing is going to provide colossal amounts of spike healing. That's why I suggest placing somehwere around 16 points into Sentinel and 4 points into purifier. This adds 4 more heals into your Warden rotation to help with certain burst situations, at the cost of some healing output from your Warden tree.

Now, to address the Warden. The Warden needs to build up before he shines, but the thing is that a Warden properly juggling HoTs not only has infinite mana (at least in most PvE situations), but also puts out as much if not more HP/S a Purifier or Sentinel. The difference being is you sometimes have to pre-HoT and learn your rotation and juggle.

In my humble opinion, the Warden rewards skill and mastery of knowing what heals to use when more than the other 2 healing souls within the Cleric calling. A properly played Warden puts out almost unfair amounts of HP/s considering the practically non-existent mana costs, and supported with some burst tools from Purifier and Sentinel? I don't understand why anyone would shirk away from the Warden.

IMO Warden will be the go-to Cleric raid healer, and Sentinel and Purifier the more general/tank heals.

My concerns with warden are I have heard dots don't stack. This limits their usefulness in some situations. My other concern is if you PvP burst healing is just so important.
    Currently playing RiftQueue.

My guild mate would beg to differ. I don't know the exact spec but the majority is Warden. To be effective takes skill like you said but they are seriously underrated.

http://unity-hub.dk/parabellum/healing.jpg

Plane Touched

Late in a fight, Wardens who have managed to build up and maintain maxed out versions of every HoT all at once, with all relevant boosts and healing+ skills learned...

...provide less HPS to a single target than a Sentinel or Purifier spamming their 1 main heal spell over and over (Healing Invocation or Restorative Flame, respectively). By a LOT.

Really, it's not even close. The most efficient Warden spells are Healing Flood, Deluge (w/6 HoTs), and Healing Current, in that order. Healing Current takes 14 seconds to finish. Healing Flood takes 12 seconds to finish. And deluge is on an 8 second cool down. Soothing Stream and Healing Spray are a waste of time altogether (in a tanking situation, anyways). Because they're a waste of time, Deluge is a waste of time (you'll never max it out unless you're spending tons of time casting sub-par heals). That leaves you with only Healing Current and Healing Flood that can compete in the HPS arena...but they can only be cast once per 12/14 seconds to get the full effect, and must be supported by main heals from one of the other two branches.
    Last edited by Goryus; 01-31-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Tirium View Post
    So, I recall not in this weeks podcast but last weeks, Ari talked about how her hubby rerolled Sentinel because Wardens can't heal. I was offended by this.

It's true, no healer focused on Heal over Time healing is going to provide colossal amounts of spike healing. That's why I suggest placing somehwere around 16 points into Sentinel and 4 points into purifier. This adds 4 more heals into your Warden rotation to help with certain burst situations, at the cost of some healing output from your Warden tree.

Now, to address the Warden. The Warden needs to build up before he shines, but the thing is that a Warden properly juggling HoTs not only has infinite mana (at least in most PvE situations), but also puts out as much if not more HP/S a Purifier or Sentinel. The difference being is you sometimes have to pre-HoT and learn your rotation and juggle.

In my humble opinion, the Warden rewards skill and mastery of knowing what heals to use when more than the other 2 healing souls within the Cleric calling. A properly played Warden puts out almost unfair amounts of HP/s considering the practically non-existent mana costs, and supported with some burst tools from Purifier and Sentinel? I don't understand why anyone would shirk away from the Warden.

Sorry but its not even close, I think the Warden will shine in Raids where putting heals on the entire raid group taking gradual damage will be of utmost importance. However, in the meantime the Healing Invocation is the best HPS a cleric is going to get. Properly specced into Sentinel, the Healing Invocation not only has a massive heal but also leaves a HOT (which as of the latest Alpha patch does 30% of the main heal). Now, if Healing Invocation crits then the next HI will be cast in half the time. Add to that the latest Alpha change where the Healing Invocation will get 5% effectiveness from Spell Power at 36 points in Sentinel and 3% for each additional point, you get 50% Spell Power bonus from a 51 point Sentinel. The amount of HPS Sentinel will put out will be unmatched.

I donno about all that. I tend to always be top 5 heals if not number 1 whenever i pvp as a warden. I can spam my skills healing everyone and be at half mana, as opposed to when i spec'ed sent i would be oom and only healing one to 3 people. if i only needed to heal one person i roll the sent/pur since then i can use damaging spells as well to add dps. In any group event where everyone can and most likely will be taking damage... warden is my only pick.

Its really about what your going to be doing, that defines whats the best choice.... like all the classes.

I would be a Warden main, simply because i like the spell effects.. wooo its raining its pouring.
    Lilith
    The First Lady of Evil
    Flaming Squirrels - Deepwood

Soulwalker

i think the main strength of the warden tho is to be better in long fights as from personal experience so far their heals are much more mana efficient. i had no trouble healing dungeons as mainly warden specced, they are healing alot if you keep all your hots up which isnt hard with a simple rotation. but tank healers for raids they are not, but their spike healing is still ok, remember ur gunna have points in other souls also. i took sentinel for the instant heal and their aoe heal, and that was plenty to keep tank alive when he would take a big spike hit, also the aoe heal for when whole group takes a spike. then let warden aoe heal top them
    Last edited by Envojus; 01-31-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Core i7 950 OC 4.5ghz - Asus rampage 3 gene MB - Corsair dominator GT 6gb Ram - Inno3d gtx 480 x2 sli - OCZ vertex 2 120gb SSD x2 (raid 0) - Samsung f3 1tb HDD x2 for data - CM storm scout case - win 7 pro 64bit - Asus VG236h 120hz 3d monitor

Warden has it's points but the only thing seeming to be considered here is most people are rating a warden's direct single target capability vs. sentinel which can be argued as THE main single target healing class.

Wardens CAN put out more healing overall, but spread across multiple targets. If the warden keeps the hots rolling then it is hard to start actually dealing damage to the healing target because every time they get hit 50-75% of it should heal almost instantly.

I know that during a planar invasion on the last beta there was one other warden and I, both around level 15-20 on Faeblight who were healing about 30 different people tanking multiple invasion parties at once. Very rarely did anyone die and typically it was only if they grabbed 3 or 4 elites above their level.

Personally I love warden and I was planning on playing a bard as my main until I had a chance to do that healing run and try out Druid melee dps (Post level 18). Now I want to roll a cleric.
    We don't want a game, we want a second home. We play for escape.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Goryus View Post
    Late in a fight, Wardens who have managed to build up and maintain maxed out versions of every HoT all at once, with all relevant boosts and healing+ skills learned...

...provide less HPS to a single target than a Sentinel or Purifier spamming their 1 main heal spell over and over (Healing Invocation or Restorative Flame, respectively). By a LOT.

Really, it's not even close. The most efficient Warden spells are Healing Flood, Deluge (w/6 HoTs), and Healing Current, in that order. Healing Current takes 14 seconds to finish. Healing Flood takes 12 seconds to finish. And deluge is on an 8 second cool down. Soothing Stream and Healing Spray are a waste of time altogether (in a tanking situation, anyways). Because they're a waste of time, Deluge is a waste of time (you'll never max it out unless you're spending tons of time casting sub-par heals). That leaves you with only Healing Current and Healing Flood that can compete in the HPS arena...but they can only be cast once per 12/14 seconds to get the full effect, and must be supported by main heals from one of the other two branches.
    That's not true. At least not in the lower level brackets between 20-30 when the warden get's soothing stream. I played both purifier and warden intensively throughout this last beta and found it easier to both heal a tank and manage mana better as a warden when running instances like DD. With pre-HoTing before every fight I could get an average of about 300-400 hp a tick. That also doesn't count orbs of the stream which is a nice spike heal. With purifier I could get about ~350 every 1.5 seconds and about 600 every 3 seconds with restorative flames.

Not to mention in dungeons like DD where you have bosses that spawn adds, you need AoE healing which the purifier lacks horribly. I am NOT saying purifier is a horrible healer. The warden lacks in the level 10-19 bracket and need the other soul's healing abilities, but that changes once you get soothing stream and ripple. I expect to purifier to shine later on. But as of now, up to level 30 where we've had the chance to be, the warden is probably the most effective healer in both PvE and PvP.

I do, however, expect this to change. The warden will most likely be best at PvP and raiding groups towards end game.
    Last edited by IndoX; 01-31-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Rift Chaser

Would say for a 10/20 man pve raid 1 warden healer would be nice, but due to hots not stacking, taking 2 wardens is pointless, especially since you can't see hots in default raid frames^^

Soulwalker

I'm gonna play a warden just because I like getting people wet. Call me shallow

Rift Disciple

my only issue with healing is that if you want to pvp, warden is the only viable spec
    sentinel and purifier simply dont have enough insta-casts to be viable pvp healers
    Last edited by LeGooch; 01-31-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by dorfadin View Post
    Would say for a 10/20 man pve raid 1 warden healer would be nice, but due to hots not stacking, taking 2 wardens is pointless, especially since you can't see hots in default raid frames^^
    I agree. Although if the skill ranks are different, they do stack. But at level 50 that isn't the case.

Having 2 wardens for bigger raids would make more sense though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast