+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question: Clerics survivability.

Default Question: Clerics survivability.

I love Clerics, it's my favorite and probably the most versatile base class to start with in the game. The reason I say base class is because the soul tree system is so robust that you can basically be anything, within the 4 role types (tank, healer, dps, support). Even then, you can be in between roles depending on how you spec.

In between roles is what this post is about.

I use to think I knew quite a bit about Clerics, but I may still have more to learn now. After playing a Cleric since the game first released (well before the game was free to play, and well before expansions ever existed). I think it's time I ask the community a direct question related to in between role choices.

For a long time I used what use to be called a Duracell spec, but eventually that basically didn't work anymore - so I found Lawbringer preset and fiddled with it, and have decided I can't figure a way on my own to spec it differently to get what I'm wanting out of it - so for so long I accepted it just as it was and it's still my favorite spec.

But, I realize that during Nightmare Tide content, things are a little tougher when leveling from 60-65 for me, due to my hands getting stiff and having a hard time responding fast enough for the situation considering I have an auto-immune disease.

As a result I find that some of that content is a little too tough for me compared to before 3.0 content - which was pretty stable for me.

So what I'm asking of the community is, how would you recommend I spec my Cleric to have higher survivability without borking the play style of The Lawbringer spec, and thus moving me into the system of specing it myself instead of using a preset?

I never did understand why people tend to say "Eww presets suck"... when really - it depends on your play style and what you intend to do in the game from my experience. However, I like being able to spec my character myself because I am able to learn the tree as I go - and I did that when I started learning Purifier healing and asked people what souls to start with, and I just went through it and discovered exactly what I needed - for that role.

However, for leveling - I really love how The Lawbringer plays, and I want to expand on that, while staying between roles - as in - not specifically DPS, not specifically Support, and definately not specifically Healer or Tank, but great survivability and great damage to simulate leveling at a pace that seems fun and reasonable, without missing out on the story contents.

If anyone has the time to help me, I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you.
    "Caution's nothing without charisma. If a man plays the fool, then it's only fools he'll persuade. But appear to be the devil... and all men will submit."
    ―Edward Thatch to Edward Kenway, 1718.

The old presets did suck. The contest ones aren't bad.
    Are you married to Inquisitor? Try Druidicar for leveling.

Prophet of Telara

Druidicar preset may be worth a try. It's no longer as strong as it used to be for soloing since the justicar Salvation heals were nerfed not to heal your pets and the Damage-to-HP buff for the Seer pet has been reduced in effectiveness with the increades HP pools, but you still have options for pets. When in doubt, heal fairy. Adjust pet to the encounter.

Personally for the 60-65 stretch I went back to soloing with 61Inq/15Def because cleanse, spammy heal, judicial privilege, scourge/vex heal, harsh discipline now being worth using and emergency CC buttons are plenty and allow me to retain high DPS. I kill stuff before it kills me and spam my little heal as I run to the next mob(s). The masteries available can also really help with self heals and survivability, with Soul Stream being able to heal you if you're not using it to DPS on mobs.
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

Telaran

Default In between roles

In between roles, you say... I have just the thing for you, a soul build I use for playing in the NT content: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...q-38-38-a.html is the guide I wrote at this topic.

It mixes up Inquisitor you already play and has a few survivability cooldowns from Justicar. I love building my own class (even though Trion abandoned that), and if you don't want to go plain druid, I offer you this, and you may customize it for what you feel is right.

"Eww presets suck" - this is me. (So do 61-builds)

I hope you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kviki View Post
    In between roles, you say... I have just the thing for you, a soul build I use for playing in the NT content: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...q-38-38-a.html is the guide I wrote at this topic.

It mixes up Inquisitor you already play and has a few survivability cooldowns from Justicar. I love building my own class (even though Trion abandoned that), and if you don't want to go plain druid, I offer you this, and you may customize it for what you feel is right.

"Eww presets suck" - this is me. (So do 61-builds)

I hope you like it.
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. I just hope that it's fun. I have found that I really enjoy the Oracle soul, but that wouldn't really fit in with what you have done here, without totally changing it. The reason I like Oracle so much is the DoTs and the Endurance buffs you get from it. I found an Oracle Guide on the forums here when 3.0 released, and I've played it a bit on one of my Clerics, and it's a lot of fun - hard to kill - but it's just not quite the play style I want. I love Inquisitor. I've used a lot of Lawbringer preset for quite a while, before 3.0 and it uses Inquisitor. I think it would play in some ways similar to your spec. But I am not really sure just how different it'll actually be.

I really really miss the old Duracell build I use to use, a long time ago - but it just isn't possible to achieve anymore I don't think.
    "Caution's nothing without charisma. If a man plays the fool, then it's only fools he'll persuade. But appear to be the devil... and all men will submit."
    ―Edward Thatch to Edward Kenway, 1718.

+ Reply to Thread