+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mage tanking staves locked to mage only.

Plane Touched

Default Mage tanking staves locked to mage only.

Is there some reason why the new dropped mage tanking staves are locked to mage only when the store bought one is cleric/mage? At tjhe end of the day there are huge disadvantages to a cleric using them, but as gear level grows it can be a fun option in experts and also in open world to imrpove surivivability. I support stopping a cleric being able to NEED on them but to stop us using them seems slightly daft as we could before.

After all, its a stick, surely we can hit stuff with it?
    You are entitled to a vomit bag, if you do not have one, one will be provided for you. We're strapped for cash so it may be used, barf carefully!

Councillor Thunrar@Zaviel Keeper of the Dead <Servants of None>
    Guild Motto: Why did that happen? Because **** you that's why!

Because you can't block with a stave?

imo all mage staves should be blocked from clerics. So many times I see half decent mage get out need rolled on a staff by the most horribly bad clerics.

Also, Mages can't roll on hammers or maces, so there is no reason why staffs shouldn't be off limits to clerics.

dbe
    General of Telara

Clerics can't roll on swords. Mages can't roll on maces. We both roll on daggers and staves.

The only thing clerics get is a 2H version of the mace (hammer) where mages don't get that.

Plane Touched

Zehne, whilst I agree that clerics should NOT be able to need roll on mage staves, given that we CAN roll on and use the DPS staves which are significantly worse than the cleric two handed hammer in terms of stats and therefore performance, the lack of block and alos more improtantly armor should not be a reason that we cannot EQUIP the mage tanking staff. It should just be a reason why in standard content we SHOULDNT.

Either staves should be totally off limits - which given that there are cleric staffs craftable doesnt seem to be Trions aim, or we should be able to use the tanking staves. Could understand it if it was all tanking staves (or even all ones with Guard, to avoid us using that to make up in part for the block) but there are two clearly mage stat tanking two handed staves you can craft one which is cleric/mage and one mage only. Just all seems highly inconsistent.

Also if you stop clerics using staves at all then mages shouldnt be able to use cleric off hands or daggers, and then the carnage with warrior / rogue gear would be fun to fix too.
    Last edited by Thunrar; 11-30-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    You are entitled to a vomit bag, if you do not have one, one will be provided for you. We're strapped for cash so it may be used, barf carefully!

Mage staffs are locked to mages for the same reason that clerics and warriors can't use each other's shields. Wherever possible, they try to use gear restrictions to stop people from doing things that are excessively suboptimal.

Have you ever seen a cleric tank dagger? A cleric tank staff? A cleric tank anything but hammer and board?

Mage can't use your shield or hammer, so why would you be able to use mage's tanking weapon?
    You should be happy you can already satisfy your ninja habit with the mage DPS staff.
    Last edited by Snap; 12-01-2014 at 07:10 AM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Plane Touched

Oh good, Snap joined the thread, amazingly his answer was disagreement, and it came with personal abuse. Following a new personal policy I will not be feeding this troll further.

/thread

PS to Musspel - as clerics can use rogue and warrior daggers I would suggest that preventing suboptimal usage isnt really a reasonable argument
    Last edited by Thunrar; 12-02-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Being able to use each other shield wouldn't be super sub-optimal by the way, compared to a looooot of other things that are allowed, since the only thing that differ in them this expansion is wis/int against str/dex.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Arguing that you should be able to loot sub-optimal gear is sub-optimal.

Food for thought.

Sword of Telara

mmh, an option got removed that other callings not even had in the first place and you still can need roll on mage dps staffs.

why not ask a dev to swap wis with int on the mage staff?

already saw cloth with more wis than int on it, so you wouldnt ask for much.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zehne View Post
    Because you can't block with a stave?

imo all mage staves should be blocked from clerics. So many times I see half decent mage get out need rolled on a staff by the most horribly bad clerics.

Also, Mages can't roll on hammers or maces, so there is no reason why staffs shouldn't be off limits to clerics.
    Difference with the mage DPS staff vs the Cleric DPS hammer is that even with the INT/WIS swapped, the staff is still on par with the hammer as it has crit power vs crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Snap View Post
    You should be happy you can already satisfy your ninja habit with the mage DPS staff.
    trion's fault for making the staff better for dps for both mages and clerics. no one wants a spell crit hammer.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    Clerics can't roll on swords. Mages can't roll on maces. We both roll on daggers and staves.

The only thing clerics get is a 2H version of the mace (hammer) where mages don't get that.
    If I can find it in my bags I have a cleric 1hand sword that is sp/wis. Got it like the 2nd day of 3.0

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithtwo View Post
    If I can find it in my bags I have a cleric 1hand sword that is sp/wis. Got it like the 2nd day of 3.0
    So they fixed the cleric aspect from it, but they still have it be wis primary

http://imgbox.com/heMI8Q17

Rift Disciple

The reason that clerics SHOULD be able to roll on the staff is that the spell power gained over a blue item is still a huge upgrade, even with all the defensive stats on it.

Really frustrating when no mage is in the group, the staff drops, and I can't roll on the upgrade because of stupid class restrictions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast