+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mage tanking staves locked to mage only.

Quote Originally Posted by Skollvaldr View Post
    The reason that clerics SHOULD be able to roll on the staff is that the spell power gained over a blue item is still a huge upgrade, even with all the defensive stats on it.

Really frustrating when no mage is in the group, the staff drops, and I can't roll on the upgrade because of stupid class restrictions.
    No there really is no reason you should be able to roll on this. The SP gain over Rare(blue) quality weapons is practically non existent.

Telaran

Why are you all missing the fact that the very buff that allows Clerics to tank states, very clearly, "You must have a shield equipped"? Being able to roll on something which you cannot use, for its very function, is complete nonsense.

Plane Touched

I would dearly love to see the screenshot of where your Mien of Leadership states that. We CAN tank with a two handed weapon, it is, as several people have said, suboptimal as we lose the ability to block, and significant amounts of armor - it should NEVER be your option for tanking any content that you and your team don't significantly outgear. We should also not be able to NEED on the item itself, as this is totally unfair to mage tanks. That said, if it drops and a mage isnt there or doesnt want it and we can get our hands on it, mage tanking staves pre-expansion were a fun way to buff up a hybrid or full specced tank for fast dungeon running, and I still see no reason why we can currently equip some mage staves (one of two crafted, one purchased for marks from shop) and not others.

I re-iterate, this is not an optimal gear loadout, and its not something we should be able to need roll on and ninja, but for the sake of fun, amusement and possibly consistency, it would be nice to actually be able to equip and use these items.
    Last edited by Thunrar; 12-19-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    You are entitled to a vomit bag, if you do not have one, one will be provided for you. We're strapped for cash so it may be used, barf carefully!

Councillor Thunrar@Zaviel Keeper of the Dead <Servants of None>
    Guild Motto: Why did that happen? Because **** you that's why!

Rift Disciple

Or Clerics could petition to have the talent that used to give them the ability to block with 2handed weapons back.... I mean it was there back during Chocolate Rift, Used to use it for Soloing when rift first came out.

Soulwalker

Totek's Will (mage dps staff) is better for clerics than Flamescraper (cleric dps hammer)

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Mage staffs are locked to mages for the same reason that clerics and warriors can't use each other's shields. Wherever possible, they try to use gear restrictions to stop people from doing things that are excessively suboptimal.
    Actually the mage dps staff..clerics ninja at will. I know I had more than one taken by a cleric, and I still do not have the staff as a mage.
    Have you ever wanted to?

Quote Originally Posted by Kulta View Post
    Actually the mage dps staff..clerics ninja at will. I know I had more than one taken by a cleric, and I still do not have the staff as a mage.
    What does that have to do with my post?

At best, the mage tank staff is on par with cleric weapons from experts (the blue ones). And assuming that they've been doing experts, since they'd have to be doing experts to even see that mage tank staff, they are likely to of seen these blues drop before, and likely to of acquired them since most everyone nowadays are only interested in the epics.

Assuming that they are doing experts to get better gear, why would you need to need roll on an item you'd replace as soon as you got any other dps epic from any dungeon?

Even if it were an upgrade, it's an easily replaced upgrade.

There is no reason why clerics should be able to need roll on the staff.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Eilauria View Post
    So keep in mind that almost Every single Cleric Build used by anyone has +8-10% Wisdom in in it some where just from 4-5 point in Defiler. So the SP derived from Wisdom is going to be more per item.

Dalraak's Persuasion Spike + Writ of Dead Sovereigns
    SP - Wis/345 Int/77.5 Tot/4375.5

Cane of the Ghosttide
    SP - Wis/216.75 Int/109 Tot/4100.75 + CP 319
    (319 CP is more DPS then 235 sp)

Staff of Madness (tank staff in question)
    SP - Wis/218.25 Int/82.25 Tot/4335

Here are 2 Blue expert drop options that are Both better then this Mage Tank Staff. So again any argument that Clerics should be able or even want to equip it, go out the window. Especially when it is eclipsed even more by equivalent epic drops in the 2h Hammer, and dps Staff.
    No the arguments don't go out the window. If the staff drops and no mage needs it, there is no reason a cleric shouldn't be able to get it if its an upgrade. Most people start with the 2735 SP crafted stuff.

staff is like what? a 1/16 chance at best, alot less from my PoV, since i've never seen it drop once, but have seen every other piece of gear.

All the blues are a 1/4 chance if I remember correctly.

And the point remains, why would you need to need it. If you truly needed it and it dropped, you could still greed it, and the others could either pass it to you, or if they were on same shard they could trade it to you.

Allowing clerics to need that staff would create a bigger fuss than the current problem of clerics taking totek's will when they don't actually need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunrar View Post
    At tjhe end of the day there are huge disadvantages to a cleric using them, but as gear level grows it can be a fun option in experts and also in open world to imrpove surivivability.
    By using a 2H weapon you are rendering Commitment, Precept of Refuge and Unshakeable Faith pointless as they require you to block, which requires you to have a shield equipped. As a Justicar, blocking not only reduces your incoming damage but also regenerates your mana.

So, can you tell us how you think making yourself unable to block and possibly mana starving will improve your survivability?

To me it mostly seems like an oversight that clerics are required to use a shield. Every other calling can block without a shield, I think. Not sure about warrior.

Is it fair that we can't use their tanking staves? Maybe...they can't use our maces.

On the other hand, we can't use their caster swords. Then again, they can't use our shields.

Seems fair.

Champion

Perceived there are more drops for clerics than for mages. Although there are more than enough clerics who need on mage stuff than mages on clerics stuff, because we cannot equip it.
    There is so much tanking stuff for clerics... and now ist a problem, that 1 tanking staff for mages cannot be needed by clerics??? As one above said: If there is no mage in the group, click greed or trade or ask if the others pass. That clerics cannot need on it may mean that it is priority reserved for mages. Could that be intended... perhaps...???
    Melandra @ Entity @ Zaviel
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    - Lady Windermere's Fan [Oscar Wilde] -

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Mage staffs are locked to mages for the same reason that clerics and warriors can't use each other's shields. Wherever possible, they try to use gear restrictions to stop people from doing things that are excessively suboptimal.
    Oh you mean like warriors being able to roll on cleric tank necklace? Yeah, well those restrictions do not seem to be thought out very well .... V:

Btw, please fix this TRION. :/
    Last edited by Fia; 01-13-2015 at 08:31 AM.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

Quote Originally Posted by Mausea View Post
    As one above said: If there is no mage in the group, click greed or trade or ask if the others pass. That clerics cannot need on it may mean that it is priority reserved for mages. Could that be intended... perhaps...???
    Clerics cannot equip these staves. No point in greed rolling except runebreaking/plat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast