+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Seatin
  • 1 Post By Uviktig
  • 1 Post By ecru

Thread: What are Inquisitors strengths and weaknesses?

Default What are Inquisitors strengths and weaknesses?

I'm a returning newbie to the game and as such, I have to settle on a class.

I've done some reading and found that Inquisitors are currently favored. Or at least the information that I found claims they are.

What I would like to know is what they're good for and what they're not good for.

For example, are they useful in Raids but terrible in PvP or vice versa?

Any information you can give me on this is appreciated, as well as your personal opinions. Thank you.

As far as ranged DPS goes Inquisitors are number 2 (barely) behind Pyros right now. Inquisitors are strong whether in PvE or PvP. When I am doing dungeons, rifts or in PvP I am doing very well. I am enjoying the class a lot. I really don't think they have a weakness at all right now to be honest with the exception of AOE.

Weakness? This is 3.0. Inquisitor doesn't have weakness!
    #1 Hardcore Casual - Seatin - RIFT Livestreamer/YouTuber. Check out: www.twitch.tv/seatinmanoflegends and www.youtube.com/seatinmanoflegends

Rift Master

If I may, choose to be a cleric because of all that clerics bring to Telara - not just an Inquisitor.

To answer your question though, the Inquisitor role currently provides strong, single target, ranged dps for both PvE & PvP. Inquisitors have a decent amount of utility with a purge, confuse, and fear. The role also brings Clinging Spirit - a 5% non-physical damage increase to the target which is somewhat unique (Defiler's Tenebrious Distortion being the only other similar debuff.) You will find the Inquisitor quite welcome in any current PvE & PvP content. Inquisitor's weakness is AoE, and efforts to increase the amount of AoE capability by dipping deeply into Cabalist result in significant losses in ST dps.

Every class can tank, heal, support, and dps from both ranged and melee. But in making that important choice of class - think about all the roles available, not just Inquisitor. Being versatile within your class makes the player more valuable to the team.
    Seon Ronpeth @ Leviathan
    <Perfect Balance>
    70WHM 70AST 70SCH 70SMN 70DRK 70BLM 70 RDM70 NIN70 DRG Disciple of Hand & Land

Strength
    Everything

Weakness
    Getting killed because your super skilled DPS rotation did too much threat for the bad tank to handle.
    Last edited by Snap; 11-26-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Some excellent information in here. Thank you all very much.

@Seonronpeth: I have taken your advice to heart. I will investigate other roles that the Cleric can shine in and not just focus on the Inquisitor role. Thank you for the excellent post.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyfish View Post
    I'm a returning newbie to the game and as such, I have to settle on a class.

I've done some reading and found that Inquisitors are currently favored. Or at least the information that I found claims they are.

What I would like to know is what they're good for and what they're not good for.

For example, are they useful in Raids but terrible in PvP or vice versa?

Any information you can give me on this is appreciated, as well as your personal opinions. Thank you.
    Reflect on channels and spamming cleanses usually shuts them down. They are not really capable of handling good healers simply because up to 30% of their damage can be cleansed away. The other classes are much better because they deal front load burst damage or the damage is direct damage not dot(damage over time.)

That and they are least mobile class.

Champion of Telara

PVE:

Strengths - Burst phase damage, sustained damage,Purge, Interrupt
    Weaknesses - Vulnerable to interrupts and movement during burst, mediocre AoE

PVP:

Strengths - Sustained DPS, survivability, utility (Purge, Interrupt, Confuse, AoE Fear), completely mobile spam

Weaknesses - Susceptible to cleanses, immobile burst mechanics 2/3 of the time, very vulnerable to CC and interrupts during burst.

Overall one of the most well rounded specs in the game, plenty of DPS to compete in top tier PvE encounters and just about everything you need for a PvP soul other than an extra break free and a self cleanse.

Gods don't have weaknesses

no weaknesses really. inq is really broken in pvp. it's the current easymode soul by a whole lot if that's the kinda gameplay you're looking for. hopefully it'll be scaled back soon, but judging by the way things have been going lately, i really doubt it.

i have to hand it to kervick, he's done a pretty tremendous job of ****ting on melee.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

i don't really see the difference. when you buff ranged specs to equal or better dps than melee while giving them more/better utility and cc, melee becomes less viable in comparison.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    i don't really see the difference. when you buff ranged specs to equal or better dps than melee while giving them more/better utility and cc, melee becomes less viable in comparison.
    Melee was overpowered for months, I don't feel sorry for them. The idea that Range should do less damage because of 35m range is fine if you don't have melee that has zero issue maintaining melee range and you don't make kiting almost impossible.

The only thing they should give melee is some kind of small mitigation to range damage if they are more than 5m away, something like .25% per point in a melee tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    Melee was overpowered for months, I don't feel sorry for them. The idea that Range should do less damage because of 35m range is fine if you don't have melee that has zero issue maintaining melee range and you don't make kiting almost impossible.

The only thing they should give melee is some kind of small mitigation to range damage if they are more than 5m away, something like .25% per point in a melee tree.
    ranged/melee balance and risk vs reward when it comes to playing melee isn't concerned with who was overpowered for months. the facts right now are that ranged souls are doing more sustained dps and more sustained burst dps than melee from 35m range, while providing more utility (purges, cc) than melee souls. some of this is due to the souls themselves, especially in the case of inquisitor, and some of this is due to the ridiculous miss/dodge rate compared to the rate of resists.

right now if melee and ranged dps are equal, ranged spellcasting souls will still do more dps in pvp because of the bizarre dodge/miss mitigation that was strangely introduced in 3.0.

http://i.imgur.com/8U6xABI.jpg - this never happens when i play inq. ever. the occasional resist, one or two per warfront, but two resists in a row? nope. melee and physical damage is miss, miss, dodge, hit, dodge at times. this includes ranger and shaman. why?
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Inquisitor weakness: dying

Solution!

new ability - Spirit of Vengeance: upon death, takes on form of a vengeful spirit. all damage insreased by 100%. --cant use life abilities in this form!--

+ Reply to Thread