+ Reply to Thread

Thread: State of Defiler in NT? (PvE)

Shadowlander

Default State of Defiler in NT? (PvE)

Hello,

I see very little talk about the Defiler soul on forums, no updated guide etc., how useful is it in current content? I took several months break from Rift, and I noticed the Links got brutally nerfed, strongest Link is now only 20%?
    So, is a Defiler still mandatory, or at least highly welcome in raids?

And how about in dungeons as the support role. Lets say I get assigned as Support and the group is undergeared/inexperienced, ie. they expect me to really play support and not third DPS. Should I play Oracle, or Defiler there?

In SL, I enjoyed playing purely offensive Defiler - using Rage Blight not Grief Blight, and fully focusing on DPS rotation, while still providing the Links, and Unstable Transform when needed.

What build and what masteries would you suggest for such playstyle? I was thinking 8 inquisitor + 7 shaman, to get Sanction Heretic with free Hex from the mastery.
    Last edited by Kaldewyr; 11-19-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Yes, it's still useful, especially as people are still gearing up and don't know the fights back and front.
    If the problem is not enough healing, then go Defiler (or second healer). If the problem is not enough DPS in a dungeon, then go DPS (as long as you can play it well) as that will do more than going Oracle and improving the others.
    There aren't many Defiler-specific masteries. Sinister Resolve is a must though. Faith's Freedom looks good.

Rift Master

Not much has changed for the defiler. Links were not "nerfed" they were adjusted for the larger health pools. For off souls - 8 Inquis/7 Shamman for big pain transmission hits. 8 cab/7 inquis still better dps IF you can keep 3 stacks of darkness up, which might prove difficult right now given the amount of necessary spot healing.

We don't use a defiler in RoF - the links are simply not necessary. Be prepared for hard hits to the defiler on the first & third bosses in MS, I can't speak to the second boss as I'm on oracle duty there. Apothyosis features a beacon in their kill shot on the 4th boss, but on our pulls last night I wonder if dropping the defiler for a pure dps would be a better strat - incoming link damage seemed negligible.
    Seon Ronpeth @ Leviathan
    <Perfect Balance>
    70WHM 70AST 70SCH 70SMN 70DRK 70BLM 70 RDM70 NIN70 DRG Disciple of Hand & Land

I always ask at the beginning of a NTE if they want DPS or Defiler. End Defiler for 7/10 NTE's.

Sometimes its really needed and I have to provide alot of OH, sometimes I can tell its not needed at all. Demand is still there and even some need. Especially if the Tank and or Healer are in starting gear and haven't got any or many drops yet.

Rift Disciple

I cant say anything about the raids but as for experts, I was really relieved to have a Defiler in our party when I and our tanks just started running experts with 800 hit. The links and extra healing really helped a lot. And even now, I still think Defiler support is really useful to ensure a safe expert run when the tank and/or healer arent that well geared.

I'd really love to see updated Defiler guides as well though.
    Alaysa@Gelidra
    Laysa@Gelidra

www.eternal-dawn.net @Gelidra [EU]

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    I cant say anything about the raids but as for experts, I was really relieved to have a Defiler in our party when I and our tanks just started running experts with 800 hit. The links and extra healing really helped a lot. And even now, I still think Defiler support is really useful to ensure a safe expert run when the tank and/or healer arent that well geared.

I'd really love to see updated Defiler guides as well though.
    Offspecs will almost always have 8 inquisitor.
    Options are +4 inquisitor/3 something for purge
    7 Shaman for dps
    6 Sentinel for Healer's Blessing
    (8 cabalist for difficult to manage DoT that may or may not be better than 7 shaman)

Masteries should be obvious, with some choice in the 65 as only Punishing Strike isn't appropriate for defiler.

Old guides are still appropriate for gameplay.

I've seen both pve and pvp defiler guides. Today I ran sevral NTE's with a defiler solo healing, and in 2-or 3 bosses, having me as chloro to support the group heals. The thing is that that defiler is a pvper (and a pain in the *** in warfronts too) and he/she uses defler as the pvp guide says, not the pve one. I think that's because in pvp you're always under heavy damage pressure. I have a cleric alt, and I personall prefer defiler in pvp.
    Anyway, a defiler that knows his spec should be able to solo heal MOST NTE's.

P.D.- Ty Chantel@Deepwood for the heals in the dungeons, no ty for the heals on codex when you were on the ther team.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

Yep, Solo Healing all NMTE's as defiler....with rageblight on (except using grief for trash packs in emp core).

And that is w/o the +10% link mastery.

(instant cast Pain Transmissions are just too fun to part ways with).

Quote Originally Posted by Emtbob View Post
    Masteries should be obvious, with some choice in the 65 as only Punishing Strike isn't appropriate for defiler.
    Let's see how I do:
    Avenging Shield, Divine Inspiration, Faith's Freedom, Sinister Resolve, Divine Favor?

Soulwalker

Why is Punishing Strike Inappropriate for defiler? It does more damage than Somatic Desecration, has a 35 metre range, and ends up contributing more DPS than Soul Stream
    < NIRVANA >
    Rhoneen@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread