+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sentinel Issues

Plane Touched

Default Sentinel Issues

I can't make sentinel work in any content now on its own, especially in experts, even with near full purple expert gear and 4/4 set bonus. I am probably doing something wrong with the soul as I don't play it more often, but it seems to have a few QoL issues, one issue that affects Chloromancer as well, and the need for one additional or changed healing cd.

Part of Sentinel's issue is that there are no preemptive heals, so it cannot take attention off the tank at any time while tank healing, as there are no shields forcing the Sentinel to always cast Healing Invocation on the tank even while the tank is at full health. The only answer Sentinel has is Vigilance, which heals for very little and has a 2 minute cooldown. It tends to also go off early, healing for a tiny tick at 20% instead of saving target from a death hit if used on the tank. I think Sentinel needs another more reliable and faster CD (30s-1m maybe) that is designed to be used preemptively. Divine Call is a good choice if the Healing Communion suggestion is taken.

Sentinel needs some overhealing ability to give resistance to the massive spikes in damage. In Purifier I'm still seeing Latent Blaze go off on tanks with full health in experts, and its really difficult to make up that damage in Sentinel. The same solution could be used for Chloromancer as both are high healing souls. A possibility is an extra % of healing on next damage taken, which would not be excessively powerful in pvp where it would simply heal after the next DoT tick (ex. 30% of overhealing up to 20% of target's max hp on ST heals). Attentive is a good tree talent to replace with this.

QoL:
    Subtle Invocation should at some point be an instant cast. Sentinel needs an instant cast invocation to make up for the loss of healing while moving. Healing Flare is not anywhere close to good enough for this. 1.5s gcd vs 1.5s cast time is not a gain in healing.

Healing Communion is in need of a buff, as it receives no buffs from any sentinel abilities and thus completely drops healing output. I would suggest changing it to be in line with Physician's Alternative Treatment.

Word of Life buffed Healing Breath could do with either being a true OGCD instead of simply having no GCD, or it would be nice if Word of Life reset Healing Breath. The latter is more powerful.

Plane Touched

I tried to heal in Sentinel again, and with tanks taking 40-60k damage between casts I'm still chaining 2 minute cooldowns to keep up with damage that is managed on the Purifier with just Symbol of the Sun, Ward of Flame/Fire. At 12k SP and the 4/4 set bonus I don't even need Divine Providence to keep up with tank damage anymore on the Purifier, while the Sentinel can barely keep up with non-burst damage from the first trash pulls in some of the experts with every skill at the Sentinel's disposal used on the tank.

In pvp the severely nerfed healing makes it nearly impossible to be useful, especially when you are forced to move or have someone interrupting you.

what really sucks is going in as a sentinel in a dungeon you have done before dozens of times, suddenly finding the tank dying stupid fast to trash and not being able to do anything at all to save them.

then getting outhealed by physician.

something has changed, but I cant find out what. it isnt my gear, or me, i have gotten higher level and my gear has gotten better. this is happening in experts i am mentored down into.

I just dont even bother going sentinel anymore, even though i actually am quite fond of it.

I'm not really sure what sentinel's role is in the game. Outside of pvp healing it really doesn't hold up much and clerics have 3 other healing souls that do a very good job at their role, either tank healing puri, raid healing warden, or linking/UTing/afking to get coffee defiler.
    "Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up."

Plane Touched

The issues you have brought up regarding sent are the exact reasons why chloro is difficult to heal dungeons with right now. The burst tank damage is very high relative to the health pool. The through put of both specs is comparable, but it seems as though sent is just to slow. With the puti changes awhile back and the healing nerfs in pvp, sent no longer has a niche and is basically an outdated spec. With that in mind, there are a couple possibilities that kervik could consider to improve it:

- someone mentioned this in another thread - give it an ability similar to physicians. Allow it to reduce its single target output to allow it to heal multiple people.

- I was a big fan of the warden sent hybrids back in the day, having the hots for the sustain and the cast times for the burst. Give sent some of its own hots and shorten the cast times of the invocations. Give sent a 1s GCD. Sent was supposed to be the quick healing spec, but it seems that the heals are just too slow. Make sure the HoTs tick every second instead of every 2s like warden.

- Give sent some sort of mitigation in excess of the purifiers passive. Make it so a sent may replace a defiler/necro for heavy tank damage fights. Im not referring to healers cov either. Something with high uptime.

- independent of sent, increase the health pool of tanks, such that they aren't dropping in 0.5s from normal damage if there isn't some kind of mitigation on them. That would help chloros as well. I'm much less in favor of this option, as that would heavily influence the tuning of dungeons and raids.

Any of these suggestions could bring life to sent. They could be taken independently or some combination of all of them. Right now, there is virtually no reason to even consider running sent since every other healing spec cleric has can do something better. I'm personally a fan of making the heals faster.
    Thetoxicwaltz@Greybriar

Telaran

Sentinel is a reactive healing.

In current pve tanks can lose 60-80% in 1 gcd.

That means you have to react in a second to the situation that happens. If you have to move, turn away, you lag for a second, basically when you can not pre-actively mitigate enough damage, tank will be dead.
    Last edited by Nolfster; 11-05-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolfster View Post
    Sentinel is a reactive healing.

In current pve tanks can lose 60-80% in 1 gcd.

That means you have to react in a second to the situation that happens. If you have to move, turn away, you lag for a second, basically when you can not pre-actively mitigate enough damage, tank will be dead.
    You are absolutely right. Puri has reactive healing as well but it's shields and cooldowns allow it to be a proactive healer as well, making it far more superior to sentinel in almost every way. Sentinel does have healers covenant but that's really it's only proactive ability. I don't think sentinel should be buffed to be on par with physician or puri but I do think it's class mechanisms should be tweaked to make it more of an appealing choice.
    "Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up."

Right now warden does better at ST healing tanks than Sentinel

And Warden only has one(Boosted Orbs) C/D for tanks!

Plane Touched

A big part of the issue with Sentinel is that damage seems to be balanced around how much Purifier and Physician can extend the health pools of the tanks that those souls are healing. Chloromancer is partially insulated from this issue because of the high frequency of heals, but Sentinel will see most of its heals on 2 second intervals, and has nothing to protect the tank in that period, and frequently needs to use CD's to just keep up with sustained damage. If the sentinel moves and loses its 2 second cast it has significant difficulty keeping up with anything, and it can't rely on any protection its provided to the tank because it has none.

I see Sentinel as a good tank healer with excellent spot healing ability, as compared to Purifier as an excellent tank healer with poor spot healing ability. In different fights one could be preferred to the other, similar to Assassin vs Bladedancer in rogue where one would be used for the best ST damage and one would be used for cleaving while still maintaining good ST damage. Sentinel at the moment isn't usable in PVE content.

The pvp buff to healing seems to make Sentinel work better there, but it is still weaker than equivalent classes.

It also seems like the Sentinel buffs don't scale well at all. I haven't looked at that, but they might be in the same category as Salvation.

Soulwalker

Really cant understand what these issues are that your trying to promote, sentinal has always been a reactive healer, dont like it then use puri?

As soon as i hit 65, i rushed 800 hit with any greens i could get my hands on plus two +hit runes. I managed to heal the experts with little problems, only problems i had was due to the fact i didnt know what mechanics would be comming and what heals/cd's i would need to prep.

Subtle Inv and Healing Communion needs attention, other than that its a fun spec to play.

dbe
    General of Telara

I don't mind the reactive healing if the throughput is higher, which is it, when you take cooldowns into account. Vigilance is terrible though. It should be a minute cooldown and heal for a lot more, maybe 100% of the sentinel's health. SI being instant would be nice I guess, I use HF but SI probably hits a bit harder.

But at some point the incoming damage is just too high.

Plane Touched

Have you guys played Sent recently? The throughput is actually really really decent now with Divine Favor. I think throughput might be onpar with chloro now but that needs testing. Subtle Invocation is now a HPS gain over Healing Invocation if you don't have stacks of Faith's Reward up in my gear.
    Cowculator@Greybriar <Crayons>
    rip
    RIP Pyromancer's Aegis
    Quote Originally Posted by krug View Post
    Sharax will definitely be bug free .

If someone really wants to make sentinel work in a dungeon I would suggest some sort of sent/puri hybrid, so you can take advantage of the things like symbol, flashover and latent blaze to compliment vigilence, HC and HH. Should work well enough to do the job, though a full puri makes its even easier because sign of faith/flames of life/rite of the forge.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

dbe
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by CowGoesMoo View Post
    Subtle Invocation is now a HPS gain over Healing Invocation if you don't have stacks of Faith's Reward up in my gear.
    I'm getting 10.5k HPS with HI spam and 8.7k HPS with SI spam, and that includes all sources (HI or SI, healing breath, light of redemption, and echos of altruism). What you do get with SI is faster AOE healing via divine favor, which is currently Sentinel's best AOE heal ability. However, I prefer healing flare in this case because it cuts down the time of your next hard cast.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but i've hit over 20k hps as warden w/o orbs(hots+Overflowing renewal). Pretty sure 10k hps from sentinel pales in comparison.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast