+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shaman disconnect potential

Plane Touched

Default Shaman disconnect potential

So right now with the 3.0 masteries, it's looking like the top dps spec for shaman will be 8 inquis 7 druid for the sanction heretic / vex combo. Unfortunately, this will reduce shaman disconnect potential even further as the only ranged non physical ability that procs frostbite, eruption of life, is no longer around.

I do want to say that I'm aware that fervent strike and punishing strike will have ranged components to them now, but they're both physical abilities and heavily affected by frostbite.

Would it be possible for ekkehards grasp to become a weapon strike? This would not affect the top end damage of shaman, it would just prevent shaman dps from falling through the floor when you need to disconnect.

I don't think losing the damage output from CE and its buff is worth getting SH, and on top of that we would lose 3% talent damage.
    It is true however that as it stands, the only use for Ekkehard's grasp will be if we have to disconnect more than 20m away from our target.

Edit: getting the SH/Vex combo would also mean losing 10% movement speed and 2s reduced CD on Glacial Strike. No way this ends up being stronger.
    Last edited by fufi; 10-10-2014 at 06:36 AM.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Plane Touched

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fufi View Post
    I don't think losing the damage output from CE and its buff is worth getting SH, and on top of that we would lose 3% talent damage.
    It is true however that as it stands, the only use for Ekkehard's grasp will be if we have to disconnect more than 20m away from our target.

Edit: getting the SH/Vex combo would also mean losing 10% movement speed and 2s reduced CD on Glacial Strike. No way this ends up being stronger.
    So yeah. 7 druid. CE is still there.... If it weren't, I'd totally agree with you. In terms of stats, it's a 3% of additive dmg loss, which is not the same as 3% overall dmg. SH/vex is just too stronk to ignore. The glacial strike mastery only affects it below 30%, and is about mathematically even with SH/vex.

Regardless, having ekkehards as a weapon strike is something that should've happened a long time ago, for either build.

Oh. Somehow I though CE was at 8 points.
    Nevermind me then.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Rift Disciple

It's a nice thought about the SH+Vex combo mastery but losing out on EoL is a bigger loss to dps i believe and you can still use EoL at ranged

On my level 65 character, Eruption of Life + 5*life Surge does on average 14669 damage. That's 1900 more damage than Icy Blow, which means 316dps increase if EoL replaces an Icy Blow every 6 seconds.

SH tooltip gives 21670damage, which means 1444 dps increase if used on cooldown (assuming Vex was already being kept up).

Glacial Strike does 28872 damage, which is 16104 more than Ice Blow.
    If used every 8 seconds instead of IB, that means 2013 increased dps.
    If used every 10 seconds instead of IB, that means 1610 increased dps.

Getting SH instead of 2s CD reduction on GS means gaining 1444-316-(2013-1610)=725dps.
    That's not accounting mechanical interactions within the soul obviously, but getting SH to tick during Deep Freeze is easier than getting EoL in there.
    This is also not accounting the lost of 3% talent damage, which isn't that much though.

Overall I think both specs will be really close to each other, but the SH one will lose two buttons, since you won't be needing to manage Vex on it's own anymore (can macro SH with LH to avoid going Physical > SH > Physical), and losing EoL too.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Plane Touched

Well summarized. The other thing to consider is that glacial strike is only available sub-30%. This means 70% of the fight! the mastery is useless. If you consider fights like Laethys, it's really 80% of the fight where it's useless. When most dps checks are earlier in the fight, I'd rather have the higher dps up front.

True dat, forgot to factor that in. I don't like losing 10% movement speed though, but in the end that's the same difference as having insoles on or not.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Are you factoring in the loss of frostbite and loss of 1/6 of a MB everytime you cast SH instead of icy or EoL?
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

I didn't factor that in, but many people were already keeping Vex up all the time, and arguing it was the best rotation.
    I didn't necesseraly agree with them, but I think this mastery gives them reason.

I'll try to get my cheets completed soon to really compare the two.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Telaran

Keeping Vex up was the best rotation. If you did the rotation correctly before, this new shaman is much easier, just use SH where you were supposed to use Vex before.

Usman, it doesn't quite work like that, if it was 1/5 or 1/7 instead of 1/6 I might agree with you..

Plane Touched

Regardless of using EoL or SH specs, the problem is still the same. The shaman tree has only one spammable non-physical ability (Ekkehards). Why is that one the only ability in the shaman tree that isn't a weapon attack?

Well, in the history of shaman, there was in the beginning 0 ranged abilities.
    Ekkehard was added in the great revamp (1.11 was it ?) as a mean to get something to do while at range.
    Later, Frozen Wrath, Lightning Hammer and Eruption of Life were added there to get shaman disconnects closer to what other classes had.
    And now, masteries add Fervent Strike to that arsenal.

So the reason it is that way is because it was originally the only ranged ability of the soul.
    As for the reason for it to stay that way, well probably it would be too strong, proccing VotWS and Frostbite for Fervent Strike.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Shield of Telara

+1 to the OP. I've been saying the same thing for a while now. We need some more disconnect damage. If it is anything like t3/2 raids we will be seeing a lot of disconnects. Also, the disconnects are often more than 20m (range of Fervent Strike). I've asked that Fervent Strike be changed to 30m like nearly every other range ability. Even PS was 30 meters.

I love shaman, but I'm not hopeful that we get any better disconnect dps. Shamans typically have subpar to competitive dps at best. Our AoE capability has constantly been nerfed. Our disconnect dps is horrendous. And, we only get buffs after tons of qq for being the bottom feeders on dps meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kervik View Post
    Update for you all. If you hadn't noticed already, today's PTS update increased the bonus from Diversify stacks to 2.5% per stack, but lowered the max stack size to 2. I'm also replacing Parasitic Miasma with Sinister Resolve.

Sinister Resolve:
    • Increases the damage of your damage over time abilities by 8%, your delayed damage abilities by 5%, and your non-instant, non-channeled, abilities by 3%.
    • Increases the chance for Rampant Growth to apply Foul Growth by 10%.

I'll also give some consideration to adding a way to make Ekkhard's proc Frostbite.
    Something Kervik posted about shaman disconnect.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast