+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2nd best cleric aoe role?

Plane Touched

Default 2nd best cleric aoe role?

I am just curious whats the best alternative to using cabalist in a raid for max aoe dps.

The reason I ask is for 1 situation in particular, the trash after twins on ft, seems like every time I play cabalist, i draw agro 20 seconds into the fight and die, right after the 2nd tyranny of death detonation (usually 8 or so adds), as Im approaching 100k dps.

So is there an alternative to cabalist on this pull that gets respectiable aoe dps, or would I be better off using condensed obliteration instead of unbound obliteration on this pull so its limited to 5 targets
    Last edited by jabnlab; 10-07-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by jabnlab View Post
    I am just curious whats the best alternative to using cabalist in a raid for max aoe dps.

The reason I ask is for 1 situation in particular, the trash after twins on ft, seems like every time I play cabalist, i draw agro 20 seconds into the fight and die, right after the 2nd tyranny of death detonation (usually 8 or so adds), as Im approaching 100k dps.

So is there an alternative to cabalist on this pull that gets respectiable aoe dps, or would I be better off using condensed obliteration instead of unbound obliteration on this pull so its limited to 5 targets
    you mean your tank is failing with aggro generation?
    then you had better replace the tank!!!

you can also play shaman, awesome ST dps and good AOE dps. (5 second swap time)

also, are you significantly out-gearing the tank? coz thats the only thing i can think of, other than the tank not using AOE threat skills. try giving tank a couple of seconds for aggro. put up your well of souls and the curse, while waiting for ToD to count down.

If you and your tank are of equivalent gear level, and the tank loses aggro to you, then the tank is bad.

Plane Touched

I'll give shaman a try, i use it for ST but never thought to use it for AOE

I'm not sure if its the tanks fault or not. Its happened on 2 different tanks (2 different weeks and a cleric tank and a rogue tank ) and both similarly geared to me (I'm at 559 hit and there are similar), and both are main tanks for the guild (they alternate each week). This is the only situation it seems to happen. Stormcallers and Sabs out dps me on this pull and they never pull agro. If I'm playing oracle instead of cab no one pulls agro (except the tank of course). It never happens on the last trash pull of IDH which has a similar amount of mobs and we use the same tanks, and the tanks never loose agro in any other fight that I use cab, although in idh i'm at range and in FT we stack on the tank so that may have something to do with it.

While we were progressing on FT, we ran with another guild for a few weeks, and they always warned not to play cab on the trash after twins because cab tended to pull agro, at the time of progression i usually played oracle and never played cab on that pull and didnt think much of it. The last 2 weeks, i was dps instead of support, and played cab, and ended up pulling agro and dieing both times.

On most fights, I usually wait 5 seconds or so before casting anything so tanks can get agro, i wait even longer with cleric tanks. With cab I cast well of souls, apply curses, TOD, bound fate, detonate TOD with disintegration, reapply TOD, BF till Well and curses need to be reapplied and reapply TOD anytime it detonates and doesn't reapply itself. On this particular pull, I seem to draw agro around 20 seconds in, right around the time the 2nd TOD detonates, and it happens the same time every time. If I get brezed i can finish the fight without drawing agro again.
    Last edited by jabnlab; 10-07-2014 at 03:25 PM.

So on that trash pull in FT, the difference is not all the mobs are there from the start. At pull I there is only 3 or 4 mobs the rest come in a few seconds later. Most likely what is happening is ToD is going off the moment or shortly after the adds appear, before you tanks get good threat.

So as already advised just hold back for 5-8 seconds, maybe not blow your 1st ToD let tick down,just throw in a few extra Bound Fate's, then blow 2nd and 3rd ToD's. This should skew the timing so your not blowing up the adds the same second they appear.
    Last edited by Eilauria; 10-07-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Telaran

Default A simpler solution

CC/Stun the harbinger guy when he casts his "Summon Elementals" (Its NOT interruptable, BUT you can stun him while he is casting and it wont go off).

No adds = no chance of mis-placed aggro.

Cabs have tons of CC at their disposal, use them.

Plane Touched

This all makes sense now, its just bad timing of TOD detonations. Thank you for the suggestions, i will give them a try when we do FT this weekend. Ill CC the harbringer and delay TOD just to make sure

Plane Touched

I tried what was suggested last night, and lived. Last night was actually our smoothest ft yet, only took 2 hrs instead of the usual 3-3.5.

Yes was a great run. Even tho I had to Defile the entire time..:L
    Defiler is only slowly growing on me still prefer to tank or straight dps.
    I don't think anyone died on that trash pull, or if they did they got a fast B-Res

Thank all of you guys again for my shiny new Hammer

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Eilauria View Post
    Yes was a great run. Even tho I had to Defile the entire time..:L
    Defiler is only slowly growing on me still prefer to tank or straight dps.
    I don't think anyone died on that trash pull, or if they did they got a fast B-Res

Thank all of you guys again for my shiny new Hammer
    So you took my defiler job..jk :P Guild leader asked if i would defile twins and crucia then 2 minutes later said he had a defiler. It was ok, gave me a chance to sit back and pew, pew instead of defile or support

Grats on the hammer, it was almost as good as the hammer of three fates. Our guild leader was actually the only death on the trash after twins. If it wasn't for the lag we probably could have killed crucia on the 1st pull. But killing her on 2nd pull wasn't bad either

We are running again same time next Saturday if you want to join us again. Last FT run before 3.0
    Last edited by jabnlab; 10-12-2014 at 10:08 AM.

So you took my defiler job..jk :P Guild leader asked if i would defile twins and crucia then 2 minutes later said he had a defiler. It was ok, gave me a chance to sit back and pew, pew instead of defile or support
    Blake must have forgot I was there. He asked me to Defile on invite, and never asked me to change, so was all I did from 1st trash to Crucia. So wanted to Cab on Twins, tanked it last time I did them, think Cab would be fun on that fight, Defiler wasn't bad tho got to blow em up with PT.

Will be happy to join next week, if ya have an open spot.
    Last edited by Eilauria; 10-12-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Plane Touched

We always have room, we usually only have 10 or so guildies and pug the rest. We start forming the raid shortly before 530 server.

Cab is fun on twins, i just have to remember to detonate TOD when we stop dps at 70% and not reapply it till we resume dps.

Ill be busy with raids next weekend, doing idh/tdq Friday, FT Saturday, and 2/4 GA on sunday
    Last edited by jabnlab; 10-12-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Telaran

good to hear that everything went fine!

BTW, you CC'd the harb and it still spawned adds? I'm kinda confused...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by altoholics View Post
    good to hear that everything went fine!

BTW, you CC'd the harb and it still spawned adds? I'm kinda confused...
    I looked but never saw a harb, probably missed it in the chaos. I waited to attack, then used my sigal of secrecy anyway followed by dominion and another sigal of secrecy, ads still spawned but it didnt seem like nearly as much because no ones dps ramped up as high as it usually does, and the fight was over quicker the normal.

I'm going to look harder for the harb this week
    Last edited by jabnlab; 10-13-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Telaran

I looked but never saw a harb, probably missed it in the chaos. I waited to attack, then used my sigal of secrecy anyway followed by dominion and another sigal of secrecy, ads still spawned but it didnt seem like nearly as much because no ones dps ramped up as high as it usually does, and the fight was over quicker the normal.

I'm going to look harder for the harb this week
    theres only 2 mobs at the start, the harb is in the smack middle of the "circular platform", and a "tornado" is slightly closer, off to the left.

the harb casts his stuff around ~8-10 seconds into fight.

harb = guy who looks like the empyrean ascension harb!!! you know, the one with the sharp, bladed arms and makes noises like shattered glass.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by altoholics View Post
    theres only 2 mobs at the start, the harb is in the smack middle of the "circular platform", and a "tornado" is slightly closer, off to the left.

the harb casts his stuff around ~8-10 seconds into fight.

harb = guy who looks like the empyrean ascension harb!!! you know, the one with the sharp, bladed arms and makes noises like shattered glass.
    I see what you mean now. Ill target him Saturday and cc him and stop the ads from spawning, of course for all I know Ill be defiler or oracle and not be able to cc.

I cant believe its our last FT run Saturday. I'm hopeing to get lucky and the relic cleric wand drops and RNG is on my side

+ Reply to Thread