+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Rift, Wondering about Non-Healing Specs viability

Soulwalker

Default New to Rift, Wondering about Non-Healing Specs viability

With regards to end-game "min-max" type content/players what builds aside from heal spec for clerics are considered viable if any? If I am looking to melee dps should I just roll Warrior?

Plane Touched

Shaman is good as a melee spec, with high skill requirement and good flexibility. Druid is horrible and needs fixing. Inquisitor (range spec) is good until you get into raiding when you find that the rotation doesn't work atm (class dev is working on fixing that)

Cleric is bad if you want to dps b/c you will always be asked to do something else. Cleric is good if you want to do everything though, as it always has something solid.

Soulwalker

Exactly the sort of answer I was looking for thank you

Rift Master

IF your not looking to heal don't build a Cleric. Find the playstyle you WANT to use and then choose the corresponding class.

Warrior = Tank
    Cleric = Healer
    Rogue = Melee DPS
    Mage = Ranged DPS

Now you can preform all roles with all classes (Some purchases may be necessary). But I would never role a Cleric for a Melee DPS style as Rogue simply has more options making the class more favorable in the long run due to soul selection.

Selecting the Cleric means you have more healing options. HECK our tank heals and you can sprinkle healing into every single build quite easily.

But to answer your question Clerics have

Shaman for good Melee DPS
    Inquisitor for Ranged DPS
    Defiler is great support / Healer - A defiler is in almost every raid nowadays do to 30% damage reduction for MT.
    Last edited by Skeithe; 10-04-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Plane Touched

To add my two cents;

Healing - Cleric has multiple niche options, Mage has best throughput and DPS, Rogue has best all round ability, Warriors have good throughput AOE under the right circumstances

DPS - All classes have competetive melee and ranged DPS options - some slighlty better than others in an end gaem min-max but that will liklely change over time as the devs tune them further.

Tanking - Warriors have the highest DPS tank, and will have two tanking souls come Reaver re-vamp release. But mages have better threat and Cd's, Rogues have better mitigation and clerics have some healing and the only tank with a BR

Support - Assuming you have the dream souls then Oracle is for the time being a must have for pushing progression (though the bard changes should start to fix that.

So Clerics have a good mix of souls - 1 solo, 2 ST DPS, 1 AOE Dps, 1 Support, 1 DPS/Heal support (defining defiler is a pain), 1 Tank and 3 pure heals.

To suggest that clerics are just healers now is disengenuous to new players. We have more niche healing options, BUT there are definately circumstances in the current content where other souls healers are much better.

I would suggest picking the Class whose MECHANICS appeal to you;

Cleric - Pure caster, spells burn mana, mana management key, cast time spells for most non-ranged builds

Mage - Caster + Charge - mana and charge management essential, but Charge more of a problem, cast time spells for most non-ranged builds

Warrior - Builders and finishers - 3:1, energy starvation can be in issues in some builds very few cast time abilities.

Rogue - Builders and finishers - 5:1, energy starvation can be in issues in some builds Very few cast time abilities. Default 1s global cooldown againt the otjhers having 1.5s (thoguh some tree talent a gcd reduction)
    Last edited by Thunrar; 10-05-2014 at 02:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread