+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapon Buff as Tank??

Default Weapon Buff as Tank??

Several people in my guild today were having a discussion about the merits of Vampiric Embrace vs Wis/Int PA Buffs. We were discussing both Cleric and Mage tanking.

IMO its pretty much a wash between them. However, some were very pro one way or the other.
    I did a search and didn't find any consensus.

For me the +60 Wisdom buff equates to approx 0.3% Parry and 0.6% Block.
    Vampiric Embrace of course is 20% chance to heal for 10% of damage.

Now for trash this does seem pretty much a wash 0.9% Mitigation chance vs a chance for a few free heals.
    It seems to me VE may win out on Boss encounters due the fact Parry and Block are next to useless there, but so are the tiny heals so maybe again its a wash..

I'm not good at math so... Which is better? In your opinion, by your math, or whatever other way there is to come to a conclusion.
    Or is there another weapon buff you would vote for?
    Last edited by Eilauria; 09-20-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Rift Master

It's also 45sp for whatever that's worth. I guess you could run encounters to see how much VE is healing for and help with this decision.

SP is not a factor, because threat is in no way a factor in Rift, once a tank has a mob it has it there is little to no chance, of any DPS pulling in this game.

Like I said I'm not good at the maths so have never look in depth at parses. I have used both off and on but really seen no difference. I don't think there is one or if either is even useful really. Maybe we need a new weapon buff to make something remotely useful for tanking.

Threat in this game is a zero factor IMO. Only challenging part of tanking in Rift is positioning, CD use, and interrupts. Which means mitigation either in the form of true mitigation, pure End/HP, Absorption, or additional healing is all that matters.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eilauria View Post
    SP is not a factor... or additional healing is all that matters.
    So look at how 45sp effects Salvation.

SP also means more dps. As ridiculous as it might be, it's probably better than some heal you can't count on.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Quote Originally Posted by Guidinglite View Post
    So look at how 45sp effects Salvation.
    I hadn't considered Salvation healing. A good point in favor of +60 Wis.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Eilauria View Post
    SP is not a factor, because threat is in no way a factor in Rift, once a tank has a mob it has it there is little to no chance, of any DPS pulling in this game.
    you obviously havent been tanking that much. granted a Cleric has probally the most powerful agro lock opening abilities in its full 7conviction hammers, but other classes can struggle if you have over confident DPS esspecially on trash. plus on a 2 tank fight, i havent found another tank able to keep agro from me when they are starting and i hammer 5s after the pull, the mob(s) come my way.

as for the buffs to use, since they all give very little bonus its up to you. if you want to go through the numbers then id say the 60Wis is the superior. sure VE gives some little heals and probally equates to alot over a fight, but they are weaker than Salvation and so far since 1.0 Salvation hasnt saved me from a death. where as a chance Parry/Dodge at the right time has done so in the past.

vampiric is useless, 2% of the damage you do in tank spec is almost nothing. even if you managed to pull 10k on a single target using justicar aoe or another souls ST your salvation healing would still be higher. the only time i pull even close to 10k is on aoe fights which would mean a ton more salvation healing
    Last edited by krabcat; 09-22-2014 at 05:16 AM.
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

+ Reply to Thread