+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Understanding SP, SC and CP

Champion

Default Understanding SP, SC and CP

So, even though I've been playing this nice game for quite some time, I still consider myself a newbie. There's just so much to do and learn in this game.

Since I started playing the game it was obvious wisdom and spell power were important to the Cleric calling. I decided to stack those as much as I could. Being bored, I started experimenting with runes that buffed my spell critical hit and critical power. Which, to my surprise, did a lot to my DPS. So now I'm all confused.

To make a long story short, what would you guys do if you were me and had the following stats:

http://s17.postimg.org/p7ox3c50v/2014_09_10_225610.jpg

Sorry for the late n00b question.

Soulwalker

From what I've understood:
    - Crit Power is a Very valuable Stat for DPS, so Its very good to stack it up to cap(Bonuses from Banner usw subtracted)
    - Spell Power is your next priority and your first priority if you are healing.
    - Spell Crit is not that great since most Souls already have a built in Crit Chance

Correct me if I'm wrong

Soulwalker

It's good to have a lot of crit power, but almost useless without a good spell crit.

The hard cap of crit power is 1400.

That means with all raid buff:
    1194 with the sup essence 103 pc and
    1297 without.

Rift Chaser

stacking CP over SP is the general rule for DPS builds (few exceptions out there). I would say try to aim for around ~1150-1200 CP then turn everything else to SP. it is better to be close to the soft cap than going over it as you will have wasted stats on your gear that could have been used for something else which I feel gives a better overall result.

for anyone healing then the reverse is true, stacking SP over CP is better although for builds like Puri CP isn't all that bad providing your not sacrificing too much SP to get it. I believe the general consensus for Puri is "if you can heal the encounters without a single crit then you have enough SP, then CP becomes useful for larger damage shield cushions".

for those looking to play both roles but without different gear sets a balance needs to be drawn. myself included in this category and try to hover around 800-900 CP and the rest SP (currently just over 900CP and 7.5kSP). this balance you need to find yourself as it is build/player dependant, if you are unsure a little more SP is not a bad thing as it still increases DPS but not as much as a little CP.

as for SC, imo, it is a useless stat on the gear itself since you need so much for so little. plus as you quite rightly said we have various crit modifications within the souls themselves which reduces the need for more crit. in the old pre-SL days we had crit damage modifiers in the trees (CP now) so crit was a viable stat but now next to worthless. since both Wis and Int grant a SC conversion, in the higher tiers they will virtually all the SC you will need leaving you to go full SP/CP on your gear depending on your role.

TL;DR - DPS = CP>SP (until ~1150-1200 CP)
    Healing = SP>CP (argument for a chunk of CP for Puri once SP is at a comfortable healing level)
    SC = Worthless (IMO) especially in the higher tiers of gear

P.S. im sure ive probally made some bad calls on the above and someone will put me right but it works for me so im saying it anyway. also 3.0 is less than 1 month away and the stats are going to get jumbled up again anyway so don't worry about it too much, just take what you feel you need and have fun with it.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kadury View Post
    It's good to have a lot of crit power, but almost useless without a good spell crit.
    wrong.
    your dps specs have a naturally high crit chance (eg, pyromancer with +12% natural crit chance). you just stack CP, trying to stack spell crit is a waste of time, and a dps loss.

why? because it gives DIMINISHING returns.

eg : 10 points of SCH give +1% crit chance. further 10 points give only 0.5%, further 10 only give 0.25%. so, 30 SCH=1.75%, instead of 3%. (exponential) (THIS IS ONLY EXAMPLE, NOT ACTUAL VALUES)

Now, iwth CP, 1 point CP gives 2% chance. 1 more point gives 2% chance 1 more gies 2% chance, for a total of 3 CP = 6% chance (linear) (THIS IS ONLY EXAMPLE, NOT ACTUAL VALUES)

you see? why stacking SCH is bad compared to stacking CP?

TL;DR : point for point, crit power gives MUCH more benefit than spell crit hit/chance, making it highly valueable for dps. always stack CP if you're dps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoomgiver View Post
    eg : 10 points of SCH give +1% crit chance. further 10 points give only 0.5%, further 10 only give 0.25%. so, 30 SCH=1.75%, instead of 3%. (exponential) (THIS IS ONLY EXAMPLE, NOT ACTUAL VALUES)

Now, iwth CP, 1 point CP gives 2% chance. 1 more point gives 2% chance 1 more gies 2% chance, for a total of 3 CP = 6% chance (linear) (THIS IS ONLY EXAMPLE, NOT ACTUAL VALUES)

you see? why stacking SCH is bad compared to stacking CP?

TL;DR : point for point, crit power gives MUCH more benefit than spell crit hit/chance, making it highly valueable for dps. always stack CP if you're dps.
    This is wrong.
    Spell critical hit is linear until reaching soft cap, then linear again with a lesser coefficient until reaching hard cap.

However, as you said, specs get inner crit rate, and raid buffs gives further crit rate, making spell crit scale far less than spell power and crit power.
    Specifically for clerics dps, we get RoTN and Fanaticism, and build our burst around these abilities, making spell crit a laughable stat in comparison of other callings, since a sizeable portion of our dps is already having a very high chance to crit.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Champion

Thanks guys! This is starting to make more and more sense to me now. So it's ok to increase my CP and sacrifice some SP for that.

Now I discovered that the runes that increase critical power al very limited. I have to make some gear changes.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fufi View Post
    This is wrong.
    Spell critical hit is linear until reaching soft cap, then linear again with a lesser coefficient until reaching hard cap.
    i thought crit chance stat gave diminishing returns? same as armor and resistances.

No, but it has a soft cap before reaching hard cap, or at least that's how it worked before 2.0.

Right now, the spell crit first cap is so high (and not desirable anyway since you wanna build CP before chosing between SC and SP) that I'm not sure anyone has reached it anyway.
    Right now, the formula seems to be 126SC = 1% crit chance, until reaching softcap (I don't know what value is the soft cap).

After reaching the soft cap, you would see something like maybe 252SC = 1% crit chance (only for the points above the cap obviously).
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Champion

So, cp turns out to be a very difficult stat to raise. There is just a couple of runes that influence it. Any hints or tips?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Xlavius View Post
    So, cp turns out to be a very difficult stat to raise. There is just a couple of runes that influence it. Any hints or tips?
    a good place to front load CP is your essences in your sigil. since these will be rarely upgraded and among the easiest items of gear to get (only requires grinding instead of raid/dungeon drops/marks) and can offer quite a decent chunk. ive seem people running around with over 500CP on their sigil and greaters that proc for additional (i have one that grants 103cp and is up almost 100%).

appart from that look for CP on gear such as helmets, shoulders and chest pieces as they seem to be among the most common items to have CP on them (from what ive seen), also rings and necklaces can have some decent amounts on them. also depending on your level, if crafting gear is still viable look for the CP augments as well.

+ Reply to Thread