+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zehne

Thread: Water DPS Spec?

Soulwalker

Default Water DPS Spec?

So I know it's probably not optimal but I'm curious if anyone has tried this set-up. I originally came to Rift years ago because it was the only game I knew (sans FFXI) that had the capability to use Water spells offensively. It didn't quite work out the way I expected at the time but I came back recently just for fun and I noticed that with the advent of Oracle there now appeared to be a chance to use it well. After playing around with the calculator, I came up with the following:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#q...i/YkBe2ai0g/Uf

I know there are a couple wasted points in Warden which is a detriment but it seems like there is a synergy across Oracle and Warden and Defiler as far as personal damage buffs and CD management/reduction. There are more than enough instant DoTs and casts to make a full rotation. I'm only level 30 but I am very curious if anyone has played around with this. It really would be a man's dream come true if it were feasible. Thanks for any advice!

Soulwalker

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#q...i/YkBf2ii0g/Uf

My apologies. After some review I noticed I missed a couple crucial points but I can no longer edit. Have a gander at this build instead.
    Last edited by Mantang; 09-09-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Soulwalker

Sigh..... it just dawned on me that due to the low point to damage % conversion of Oracle and Inquisitor I'm missing out on 26.75% flat damage increase. Maybe I can make it a viable support build though.

That spec would probably not work in raids as dps or support, but if I had to make changes to it (for fun), I would remove all the points in Vital Inspiration, Curse of Consumption and Inspiration of Survival (you would be overwriting bard/oracle buffs) and put them into Emblem of Pain (unless you don't want to use it because Death damage), Devouring Emblems and Tempered Emblems with an additional point put in Deadly Insignia. If you're not using Emblem of Pain, put another point in Deadly Insignia. At this point, I don't know if it's worth trading 2 points in Under Pressure (warden) for Empowered (oracle).

No idea how much dps it would do (probably too low), but it's fun to notice you have a battle ressurection.
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 09-09-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

Quote Originally Posted by Mantang View Post
    Sigh..... it just dawned on me that due to the low point to damage % conversion of Oracle and Inquisitor I'm missing out on 26.75% flat damage increase. Maybe I can make it a viable support build though.
    My guild leader uses a similar build for healing 5-man expert dungeons. He doesn't have any problems keeping everyone healed, and he can give a few support buffs while he does so.

Maybe look into the Shaman soul. Shamans use a combination of physical, air, and water abilities.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#q...i/YkAL2kgwg/Uf

That does work better. In my head I wasn't thinking about overriding the other buffs because I was thinking it'd be usable in dungeons as well. Plus in my old build there was no filler spell, everything was just instant and I'm betting with the reduced GCD I'd be burning mana like a mofo.

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    My guild leader uses a similar build for healing 5-man expert dungeons. He doesn't have any problems keeping everyone healed, and he can give a few support buffs while he does so.
    Is it something like 38 Oracle/ 38 Defiler / 0 Warden? Because I use it too in experts, it does good dps with buffs while providing enough healing.
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 09-09-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

Rift Chaser

as much as i can see where you are going with this, it probally wont be viable for anything but expert/rift farming and solo play. you might be able to use it for a support healer but as a DPS it wont be very useful esspecially since you miss some major CD's in Oracle

Soulwalker

I was so bummed too back in the day because I wanted to go between Cabalist for AoE and a single target Water caster. I even designed my male Bahmi to look like the antagonist in the old 90's cartoon Pirates of Dark Water.

I've tried quite a few oracle specs, hybridization and such, and came to this conclusion:

Oracle is a spec that can hybrid with alot of souls, however, the only thing to gain from this is utility.

Any oracle spec only benefits from oracle abilities for the most part, this means that if your 61 or 38, or any mix, you'll do essentially the same damage.

The only difference is you can go a healing soul(warden) and gain nice raid heals.

Other than that, mostly just 61 oracle is optimal.

This build is just vicious for DoTs and Geyser spam so long as you're willing to sacrifice the utility.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#q...M/n8hM/l9l9ggw

You'll be surprised how sick the numbers are when you pop tidal wave. Even at 52, Call of the Depths is over 10k and the extra 20% Spell power / 25% Passive crit chance just sings. Can't wait to see what they are at 60.
    Last edited by Wing man; 09-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Actually I'd go with this one instead. http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#q...M/n8hM/l9lbG08

Tho I use massive blow often, still haven't researched how much the passive bleed hits for with the buffs. The main melee spam is glacial strike which powerful grip boosts along with massive blow.

The 25% crit bonus comes from Vicious Streak, Riptide, Frozen Embrace, and Armor of Devotion. Geyser pops constantly for BIG numbers that it easily replaces all other DD spam.
    Last edited by Wing man; 09-09-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Actually I'd go with this one instead. http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#q...M/n8hM/l9lbG08

Tho I use massive blow often, still haven't researched how much the passive bleed hits for with the buffs. The main melee spam is glacial strike which powerful grip boosts along with massive blow.

The 25% crit bonus comes from Vicious Streak, Riptide, Frozen Embrace, and Armor of Devotion. Geyser pops constantly for BIG numbers that it easily replaces all other DD spam.
    I tried to make something similar work for pvp purposes.... it was a couple of months ago iirc.
    I just realized that i was doing less damage than a 61 inquisitor without significant (if any) boost to my survivability. i ditched it

Edit: i made this on my full myrm toon. Maybe in the 50 bracket it works better.
    Last edited by Maul STK; 09-10-2014 at 02:37 AM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

Quote Originally Posted by Maul STK View Post
    I tried to make something similar work for pvp purposes.... it was a couple of months ago iirc.
    I just realized that i was doing less damage than a 61 inquisitor without significant (if any) boost to my survivability. i ditched it

Edit: i made this on my full myrm toon. Maybe in the 50 bracket it works better.
    While it looks good on paper, and decent in PvE, it still blows in PvP compared to real dps classes.

Default hydromancer

try this:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#q.../Yt9jMBii1h0/U

i ran this for a while soloing, and even i as a terribad newb can spike alot of damage. but its squishy without insignia of protection honestly.

You don't bother with geyser or call of the depths.. once you use oversight, battle fury, and spam the **** out of glacial spike you will go geyser? what geyser? and notice how nicely the tidal surge lines up with glacial spike cooldown, you realize how crappy geyser is, even when traited.

you just gotta realize alot of your dps is going to come from procs like tainted emblems, tempered emblems, and empowered and weaving three emblems then the insignia to get all the procs.

still think the lack of innate damage in warden does not make up for a more damage intense secondary soul. maybe when diversify goes in on the masteries you could work inquisitor in to use instacast bolt of depravities instead? i dunno. ive never tried inquisitor

+ Reply to Thread