• 1 Post By fufi
  • 1 Post By Fliptrik
  • 1 Post By Eilauria
  • 1 Post By Zehne
  • 1 Post By scott0301
  • 1 Post By Lethaemis

Thread: Cleric Tanking **Aoe**

Default Cleric Tanking **Aoe**

I've seen multiple guides about cleric tanking and have been baffled as to why none of them use Righteous Imperative in a macro with Even Justice.

This is my aoe macro:

#show even justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Righteous Imperative
    cast Even Justice

I just spam that macro and use Hammer of Faith whenever i have 7 convictions, and when all of the mobs are within range after the initial pull. Am i doing something wrong?
    Last edited by Wackywoo; 09-06-2014 at 03:08 AM.

Taunts should be used situationally. Spamming Righteous Imperative will keep it on cooldown, meaning it won't be available when you truly need it, for example to grab mob that just appeared.
    Your normal abilities should normally be more than enough to keep threat on group of mobs, except if the dpsers with you are completely overgearing you.

If you use that macro in a raid, you're doing it horribly wrong. Most likely that will completely mess up in which you need to spread the mobs as equally as possible between different tanks, or tank swap the boss.

If you have Provoke in a spam macro, I strongly advise getting it out of it and use it on its own aswel.

To complete my answer to your question:

You should pull group of mobs with Hammer of Faith, apply Censure to one of them while they are on their way to you. Then you should use a couple of Even Justice to make sure you're holding threat. From then on you'll want to keep precept of Refuge up, and as you said, use Hammer of Faith when you have 7 convictions (which will spread Censure to every mob, doing significant more threat and damage, as well as reducing their damage output since they will miss more attacks).

Good luck !
    Last edited by fufi; 09-06-2014 at 05:41 AM.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Rift Chaser

basically what Fufi said but would also like to add something about the taunts themselves.

Taunts typically place you a set %age (unsure of Rifts value for this) above the current person on the top of the enemies threat/agro table as well as forcing the target to attack you for 3s which gives you time to start generating threat on them yourself.
    unfortunatly if you are already at the top of the target(s) threat/agro table then you get no benefit other than the target being forced to attack you for 3s.

as Fufi said if you are using taunts on CD in macro's you wont have it available for any new add spawns that get nuked by DPS when you have barely touched it. getting agro from a DPS without a forced taunt is fairly tough esspecially if they start before you, and most DPS dont hold back on new mobs meaning they will be hitting it hard from the getgo.

another example is that some people use their defensive CD's as they come off CD, sometimes in their main spam macro. this is another NONO as you need those for certain mechanics and for times you or your healer mess up a mechanic and need that little extra boost to survive. you can almost think of taunts as OH S*** buttons for agro. kinda like how you would use a CD to save yourself, Taunts are like CD's to save a trigger happy DPS

Yep your doing something wrong. But fufi and Flip already explained that.

If you really want a group of mobs to stick, open with HoF then Censure, Total Assurance, HoF
    After that nothing short of someone using a Taunt is puling those off you.

Since TA is off GCD you can do that in 2 GCD's. I've played around with macroing it abit and found I like TA macroed after Censure. lets me use 1 button for both just have to tap it inside a GCD to get TA off

This is a redundant reply but:

This One day I decided to queue for experts on my own, just for giggles. To my surprise I got the dps role instead of tank or healer(yay!, the RNG gods smiled upon me!). We are going along and pulling groups of baddies, suddenly after letting go of a soul drain, I notice i have aggro on myself, no big deal, I run away and use Bewilder. It's no big deal, so this newbieish tank lost aggro on a mob.

Until, the next pack, the next pack, and the next pack, every time a new group is pulled, the tank consistently looses aggro. When asked about loosing aggro, the tank responds with a: "I don't know what's going wrong, i'm using Insert all Force taunt links Here. as much as I can".

The Moral of the Story: Force taunts are made to FORCE aggro to switch from one target to another. Tanking abilities are meant to generate high amounts of threat. As a tank you want to generate high threat, and stay at the top. Using a force taunt will reset your threat, and if the Dps have a damage spike, will likely rip aggro from you before you re-generate threat.
    Last edited by Zehne; 09-07-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Rift Disciple

my only concern with fufi aoe pull is why not immediately after censure hit another HoF to spread that **** to ensure those mobs got the censure on them as well? helluva aggro dot, but hey what do I know? other than set specific tank swap changes I almost never use taunts, no need we produce so much aggro that other than frontloaded farktard tempests doing as I pull ST on aoe packs, aggro is never an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by scott0301 View Post
    my only concern with fufi aoe pull is why not immediately after censure hit another HoF to spread that **** to ensure those mobs got the censure on them as well? helluva aggro dot, but hey what do I know? other than set specific tank swap changes I almost never use taunts, no need we produce so much aggro that other than frontloaded farktard tempests doing as I pull ST on aoe packs, aggro is never an issue.
    The reason to delay HoF is to have different timers on 2 mobs so that you can continue to spread Censure without having to waste a gcd reapplying it.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

Thanks for all of the replies and detailed explanations.

I have now stopped using the aoe taunt (Hurray!)

+ Reply to Thread