+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Koraii
  • 1 Post By Crithappens
  • 1 Post By Skeithe

Thread: Beginning healer questions

Rift Disciple

Default Beginning healer questions

Hey there, I'm a new player, trying to puzzle out the intricacies of healing. I'm currently in the first 20 levels and have yet to set foot in a dungeon. I've been leveling Druid, but I figured I'd buy an extra role to swap to healer for group settings. I've looked through the forums and didn't find any current information regarding getting started with healing, and I'd like to prep myself a bit before subjecting other players to my on-the-job learning. So...

1. Are there any current guides or threads detailing builds and optimal rotations for a non-60?

2. Is it better to simply concentrate on one tree, or spread my points around a bit for access to more healing skills? I've been looking at Sentinel, with a bit of Warden and Puri thrown in. Also, do healing bonuses from different trees stack/affect skills from other trees (ie Warden's Str of the Deep affecting Sentinel's Healing Breath)?

3. In pre-60 dungeons, is it better to focus on group/AoE heals, or ST/MT heals?

4. Am I just over thinking this? Are the early dungeons easy enough to just jump in and learn as you go?

5 (bonus question). More of a general theorycrafting question - I've looked at the Magelo and Rifthead skill trees, and it doesn't seem to take traits into account in the skill mouseover. Is there a general repository for theorycrafting information, like what traits affect which skills, or the breakdown of hps/dps for various skills? I can spreadsheet it, but I don't want to recreate the wheel if it's already out there.

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ier-guide.html

That one looks current with the addition of Oracle class. I am more biased towards healing with Purifier in dungeons under most conditions. It has enough AoE to get by most fights unless you are very undergeared and don't use your cooldowns right. Then Warden might work better for heavy AoE fights. Just make sure you're maintaining your Latent Blaze on the tank, it is pretty easy really if you know when to cleanse and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Koraii View Post
    Hey there, I'm a new player, trying to puzzle out the intricacies of healing. I'm currently in the first 20 levels and have yet to set foot in a dungeon. I've been leveling Druid, but I figured I'd buy an extra role to swap to healer for group settings. I've looked through the forums and didn't find any current information regarding getting started with healing, and I'd like to prep myself a bit before subjecting other players to my on-the-job learning. So...

1. Are there any current guides or threads detailing builds and optimal rotations for a non-60?

2. Is it better to simply concentrate on one tree, or spread my points around a bit for access to more healing skills? I've been looking at Sentinel, with a bit of Warden and Puri thrown in. Also, do healing bonuses from different trees stack/affect skills from other trees (ie Warden's Str of the Deep affecting Sentinel's Healing Breath)?

3. In pre-60 dungeons, is it better to focus on group/AoE heals, or ST/MT heals?

4. Am I just over thinking this? Are the early dungeons easy enough to just jump in and learn as you go?

5 (bonus question). More of a general theorycrafting question - I've looked at the Magelo and Rifthead skill trees, and it doesn't seem to take traits into account in the skill mouseover. Is there a general repository for theorycrafting information, like what traits affect which skills, or the breakdown of hps/dps for various skills? I can spreadsheet it, but I don't want to recreate the wheel if it's already out there.
    1. If you think there's a such thing as a healing rotation, then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of healing as a mechanic. Unlike with DPS, a majority (but not all) of what a healer does is reactive instead of proactive. Think of it as with things such as interrupts, purges, etc. that a DPS might need to do. All of these things can potentially throw off your ideal rotation, but they are necessary in real scenarios. Similarly, what provides the most healing to a target dummy will rarely be representative of what you will actually be doing. There will be times where you will need to stop to cleanse or heal a party member. Master the reactionary portions of healing first and let the other things come after.

As far as guides for non-60s, not really, but in the case of healing you can reverse-engineer them from level 60 builds.

2. 61 or bust. Healing bonuses stack across trees unless something about the trait says otherwise (like if it specifically mentions life-based abilities)

3. Tank healing. The extent of your group healing will primarily be what people refer to as 'spot healing': Quick heals on single party members. If the entire group gets damaged, you will often heal them one at a time.

4. I'd go so far as to argue that they're so easy that it makes it more difficult for a new player to properly learn to heal.

5. As I said in #2, 61 points or bust for healing. The only theorycrafting that leaves is the remaining 15 points. The 61 point abilities in the healing souls are just too good to pass up. Yes, you could come up with other builds that will yield higher tooltip values on your other abilities, but the loss of the 61 point ability is not worth it.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Rift Disciple

Thanks for the information and quick replies! I think I'm set straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    4. I'd go so far as to argue that they're so easy that it makes it more difficult for a new player to properly learn to heal.
    That was my guess, as it tends to be true in most MMOs I've played. I think I'll just jump in with both feet and see what happens.

Rift Master

A good tip to any and all new players is.......if your nervous about healing a dungeon which I can understand......try healing other things instead such as players in rifts or players in invasions to just simply get a feel for it.

Guides for healing are nice but to me nothing beats simply choosing what works for you and practice. When I say this what I mean is a lot of guides tell me to use abilities I don't care to use and such. Some of these even rely on macros to function properly.

That being said ur best bet for healing a dungeon is either Purifier or Sentinel. You can use Warden but you going to need some points in Purifier or Sentinel 1st to simply get your single target healing as that's the once area Warden is weak in.

I've been healing a bit with my cleric in the low level dungeons (level 27 atm), and I've been going as Warden. It goes well, the 2 hots and orbs are enough to keep the tank up most of the time, but I've got 2 single target heals from Purifier to cover the burst, as well as the other heals from Warden.

Basically, for lower levels, just put points in the healing trees, and use abilities that heal players. Unless the tank pulls several packs, you'll probably spend most of the time twiddling your thumbs.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ahielia View Post
    I've been healing a bit with my cleric in the low level dungeons (level 27 atm), and I've been going as Warden. It goes well, the 2 hots and orbs are enough to keep the tank up most of the time, but I've got 2 single target heals from Purifier to cover the burst, as well as the other heals from Warden.

Basically, for lower levels, just put points in the healing trees, and use abilities that heal players. Unless the tank pulls several packs, you'll probably spend most of the time twiddling your thumbs.
    Whats funny is I made a suggestion for your build in another thread IE Purifier Single Target Heal + Rest warden for AOE heals.

Being Overleveled for most dungeons I used a DPS/Healing Warden ...darn the spell eludes me deals damage and heals gyser or something.

Rift Master

At low levels, Caregiver's Blessing with Healing Breath/Flare is enough to keep the tank up.

+ Reply to Thread