+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OmegaDagger

Thread: Restore my faith...

Shadowlander

Default Restore my faith...

Hey all, lvl 43 cleric here. Working on getting all of the levels done.

Background, I raided a lot in WoW until the most recent expansion and loved it, I mostly played Shaman and loved Shaman healing, I ran druid some also, but disliked all of the rolling HoTs. I mostly liked chain healing and spot healing from Shaman. I know it was Easymode for a lot of fights and I liked it for that reason, but I wasn't a bad player either, so I didn't play it JUST for that.

My questions are, are there any good cleric builds that are similar to this? I have done a lot of research and can't find a build that I like for healing groups/raids. I tend to not be able to use a LOT of different skills due to hand problems/keybinds, etc. I can squeeze in a decent amount, but not like 15 skills to use constantly.

Also the more I research the more I read that clerics seem to be getting phased out by the other classes healers...aside from defiler which I don't really want to play I don't think. Need to research it more...

I know some of it is QQ and "grass is greener" syndrom. But restore my faith that the cleric's will be able to heal in 3.0 and not be completely pigeon holed into a defiler or go home mentality.

Also any help with a build that doesn't use a huge amount of abilities but can still work quite well would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Plane Touched

I keep having to explain this and I wish they would have stickied my original somewhere but they didnt....

This is not WoW. Before you freak out, that is not meant to be dregatory towards WoW. In fact, I have played WoW for all of 2hrs, so I know very little about it. That being said, the reason I even bring this up is because Rift is not based on the "I play this spec mentality" like WoW. The soul system along with multiple role slots means you are expect to run ALL possible specs for your class. If you are playing a cleric,as you say you are, you are a cleric, NOT A HEALER. To be a cleric you should know...

Shaman (melee dps), Inquis (ranged dps), Oracle (support), Defiler (support/healer), Puri (tank healing), and Warden (raid healing)

And if you want to be a cleric master you should also learn Cabalist (aoe dps).

Tl;Dr if you ever plan on raiding in rift, you will have to learn multiple roles

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Shadowlander

Hmmm, now that's interesting. Haven't seen that before. So basically when a guild sets up the raiding for that night, they look at who they have and assign roles and people change their role to fit for that night? Then the next night they may be completely different? Or the next fight even?

That makes it an entirely different spin...and could make me very very bad at this game, ha!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lidralixx View Post

Also the more I research the more I read that clerics seem to be getting phased out by the other classes healers...aside from defiler which I don't really want to play I don't think. Need to research it more...

Thanks!
    For PvE healing, Purifier (Single target shielding/healing) and Defiler (Damage reduction links) are generally always in the progression raid composition. Warden (Burst AoE healing) has some uses on a few encounters. Sentinel doesn't raid.
    Last edited by haybale; 08-19-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Hmmm, now that's interesting. Haven't seen that before. So basically when a guild sets up the raiding for that night, they look at who they have and assign roles and people change their role to fit for that night? Then the next night they may be completely different? Or the next fight even?

That makes it an entirely different spin...and could make me very very bad at this game, ha!
    In 20-man raiding, the composition of the raid basically changes at every boss, with some constant roles.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by fufi View Post
    In 20-man raiding, the composition of the raid basically changes at every boss, with some constant roles.
    Wow, that brings a whole new light on things. Wondering if cleric is the right calling for me then!
    I only really like healing mostly, with some ranged dps for raids, possible tanking, but I typically despise melee dps for anything other than solo.

Shadowlander

Makes a lot more sense to me now, was in a warfront just now and kept switching...if I was roaming then I would switch to shaman for dps, then if I ended up with a flag carrier I would switch to sentinel! No idea why I never checked to see if I could change roles in the warfront before. lol

Yeah there really isn't a set healing set up in Rift the way there is in WoW or EQ2. Sometimes I miss the days of EQ2, mage group...kick but defiler...melee group, mystic and Inquis, OT group Mystic and Templar (or killer Inquis), MT group Defiler and Templar...healing set for whole expac.

Here on one fight it constantly changes except for two things for Clerics. On almost all progression fights...1 Puri, 1 Defiler have a lock...period.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Rift Chaser

not really, if you want to primarily be healer then make it known to the people setting up the raids so they can possibly favour your role that night to more healing focussed. that being said due to the role system most raid leaders will expect you to play atleast 3 specs as a healing cleric; Puri, Warden, Inq. Puri and Warden are our primary healing souls the first being a tank healer and the later our AoE (although not as good on sustained healing as the other classes).

1 DPS build should be the bare minimum requirement for all clerics and there will always be a time where you might have to DPS. I suggest Inquisitor as it is our primary ranged DPS soul and Inq is the safest option as it doesn't rely on melee friendly fights. if you can learn Shaman as well then go for it as it is our highest ST DPS although not every fight is friendly enough for melee (most are meleeable).

Defiler and Oracle are always a very good option to have and learn but these are behind a pay wall in the soul packs. most Clerics have Defiler and quite a lot has Oracle so you might be able to get away without having them in most cases.

Due to the nature of this game you need to be versatile in order to get to the top, personally I have 14 roles that I use frequently (although one is Druid for solo) including an empty role that I can fill/populate and tailor to a specific situation.

TLDR - you need to play as many roles as possible. even if you have a primary focus (healing), just being able to play the other roles is an asset to a raid leader and will increase your odds of getting into a raid, even if you don't excel at every role.

Prophet of Telara

Switching specs and gear within a few seconds is one of the key points Rift's game design was built around As said above whole raid compositions can change between boss and trash and next boss. With the addition of the paid souls all 4 callings can perform all 4 basic roles, albeit with different degrees of flexibility, niches and efficiency. Content is made with this in mind and not having more than 1 role is shooting oneself in the foot!

If you like healing and you haven't bought the soul packs then Cleric is a good choice because of the options. As mentioned above a Puri spec and a Warden spec are your go-tos, and Inquisitor as a ranged DPS spec for when a fight calls for a raid composition in which you aren't Puri/Warden. If at some point you want to try something else then Justicar Tanks are nice to have, for Bard/Oracle support Oracle is preferred and there's always call for a Defiler because of the 30% link.

If you hate melee dps then avoid Shaman
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

Plane Touched

The optimal raid comp for every high-end guild is 5 of each class. This is for equal loot distribution. An over abundance of one class will cause one group to gear faster, and then you have loot drops go to waste. Some roles are definitive, in that a specific member in the raid almost always plays that role.

-There is always one main tank. Traditionally that is a warrior, but that is only due to the left over paradigm of warriors being tanks. Tank specs across the board are pretty balanced, with each class having its own strong point--- e.g., cleric tanks get a battle rez.

-There is almost always a purifier as a the main tank healer. This role can be replaced by a chloromancer, or now a physician, but puri's bring very strong raid cooldowns so they are preferred.

-There is almost always a defiler. The damage mitigation provided by the defilers links make progression raiding possible. After a certain level of overgearing by the tank, you can replace a defiler by a dps, but this doesnt usually happen until content is outdated.

-There is always almost always a chloromancer. This is changing due to the recent phys/tact hybrid, but for the most part you always see one mage in chloro.

-There is always a bard or an oracle. This is pretty self explanatory. They bring huge raid buffs, and very strong and unique dps cooldowns. Oracle is preferred due to its much higher dps.

-There is always some form of Archon. Like bards/oracles they bring raid buffs and unique dps cooldowns.

So in an optimal world, given that you need one tank (which is usually not the case) you raid comp should look something like...

5 Rogues -> 1 tact/phys and 4 dps
    5 Warriors -> 1 Tank and 4 dps
    5 Mages -> 1 archon, 1 Chloro, and 3 dps
    5 Clerics -> 1 Puri, 1 defiler, 1 oracle, 2 dps

Again this setup is VERY generic and changes (sometimes dramatically) from encounter to encounter, but the conclusion you can draw is that as a cleric, you are the least likely class to be asked to dps. However, you should always have decent dps in your back pocket, and knowing how to play shaman and inquis, at least serviceable, can make you ensure you a raid spot.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Shadowlander

Thank you all for your input and help. Clarified a lot of things. I was considering going rogue because of the advantage of energy and of physician envy. However, I love spells much more than guns/bows/swords, so flavor wise I much prefer Cleric. I have storm legion and I am most likely going to buy the dream souls within a week. Reading the oracle spec I think I am falling in love with it for dungeons, but will also focus on healing.

Thanks for all of the advice and I guess mostly I just look for a raid that needs a "cleric" spot, and then I learn as many roles as possible to utilize that spot to the fullest.

Thanks again all!

Lid

+ Reply to Thread