+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions from the clerics please?

Rift Master

Default Opinions from the clerics please?

I'm curious to get the thoughts of the cleric community at large. I'm not expecting a dev response here, that's not the point of this thread, I want to hear what the players believe.

Would it be viable to merge some of the raid healing cds from warden into sent or puri, and turn warden into a single target dps soul without all the inquisitor pvp toys?

In my opinion, inq needs a buff. The pvp crowd doesn't want to see it because inq has too much utility. MMs probably don't want to see it because inq has similar amts of utility but better dps than MM (I've read, not compared for myself). Inq is the only ranged single target spec clerics have. It's not impressive in its role in pve. It's not trash either, it's just unremarkable.

Warden isn't a bad soull, but with encounters being the way they are, and with the introduction of phys/tact and liberator, it seems unnecessary.

There are also quite a few clerics who don't intend to heal, and will never heal, and they should have other competitive options. With the reaver being turned to a dps for warriors, I don't see why clerics couldn't have a similar re-work.

Anyway, would love to get some other opinions on this.

Dont u dare touch mah warden! I'm burst healing cq so gud ppl die a little inside every time they see hps meter and my pee-pee gets bigger!

warden is one of the only cleric souls that's fun to play, why would you want to get rid of it?

besides, you're assuming that because warden's type of healing is ineffective now it will always be ineffective.

Ascendant

Everyone has a favorite and Warden is really the only pure healing soul I enjoy playing in Rift. Others, especially the pvp community, prefer sentinel and there are those that enjoy Purifier and Defiler. I think it would be an unpopular decision among Clerics to axe any of them into another dps soul that will likely pick up dust like Druid has.

The logical/simplest soul for this type of transition would be Defiler but that soul seems immune to any changes until the devs acknowledge there is a problem with the power it currently has over encounter tuning. Regardless, I don't see a healer to dps transition in the future. I would however like to see Defiler's influence turned down to an appropriate, less overwhelming level and puri lose that burst aoe healing thing.
    Last edited by haybale; 08-16-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    warden is one of the only cleric souls that's fun to play, why would you want to get rid of it?

besides, you're assuming that because warden's type of healing is ineffective now it will always be ineffective.
    I don't really want to get rid of it. I like warden, from the very few times I've been able to use it effectively. I just don't see its usefulness very often. It also vaguely annoys me that it was designed to complement a chloro, rather than heal an encounter on its own (unless overgearing). I understand the reasoning; mages deserve their heal spots too, but it doesn't stop me from being annoyed by it.

As for the 2nd point, I've been here 5-6 months. I don't have anything to base this assumption on but what I've already seen. I feel like making assumptions that things will be different in the future may be setting myself up for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by haybale View Post
    Everyone has a favorite and Warden is really the only pure healing soul I enjoy playing in Rift. Others, especially the pvp community, prefer sentinel and there are those that enjoy Purifier and Defiler. I think it would be an unpopular decision among Clerics to axe any of them into another dps soul that will likely pick up dust like Druid has.

The logical/simplest soul for this type of transition would be Defiler but that soul seems immune to any changes until the devs acknowledge there is a problem with the power it currently has over encounter tuning. Regardless, I don't see a healer to dps transition in the future. I would however like to see Defiler's influence turned down to an appropriate, less overwhelming level and puri lose that burst aoe healing thing.
    I guess another option would be to rework druid into something more useful than a good solo spec. It's one of 2 melee souls I enjoy playing (the other being harb on my mage).

Even though I main a cleric and have gotten where I like defiler, the fact that it's just about required for progression feels unbalanced. How many souls are required for progression because they bring something no other soul can bring? I know necro has a link, but my limited understanding of necro (never played 61 necro) leads me to believe that defiler is infinitely superior.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Taledra View Post
    I guess another option would be to rework druid into something more useful than a good solo spec. It's one of 2 melee souls I enjoy playing (the other being harb on my mage).
    This is likely the best way to generate more Cleric DPS options opposed to the complete overhaul of a healing soul.

Even though I main a cleric and have gotten where I like defiler, the fact that it's just about required for progression feels unbalanced. How many souls are required for progression because they bring something no other soul can bring? I know necro has a link, but my limited understanding of necro (never played 61 necro) leads me to believe that defiler is infinitely superior.
    Necro doesn't bring the extra 20%/10%/5% links, 6% HP increase, 5% non phys debuff, UT, Battle Res, off-GCD Burst Healing, or truly competitive dps (Although higher than defiler). The situation is heavily balanced in Defiler's favor to the point that Necro should not even really have the link.

Sin is arguably required due to Lethal Poison which is lower impact than what defiler has but it is still there. Chon/Oracle are also fairly standard but there are options to them that aren't as far apart as Defiler/Necro.
    Last edited by haybale; 08-16-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Haybale@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread