+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about cleric support

Soulwalker

Default Question about cleric support

Okay, so I've just gotten back in to the game after being gone for a while. For background, I played til max when the game came out but fell out of it, came back for SL but after a week or so decided it wasn't really for me and left again. Just came back a few days ago, picked up my cleric rather than the warrior and have been having fun healing dungeons. My question, however, is what is expected of support.
    Right now, I don't have the 4 new souls and don't really want to buy them until I'm sure I'll actually use them. Because of that it means I don't have access to oracle for support. When I last played, the support souls didn't really exist the way they do now and support seemed to be more of a dps/healer hybrid. I guess I'm wondering if that's still acceptable to do or if support is expected to just be the support soul of their class. Any help you guys can offer would be awesome and I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't really find anything about non-oracle support.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bacabed View Post
    When I last played, the support souls didn't really exist the way they do now and support seemed to be more of a dps/healer hybrid. I guess I'm wondering if that's still acceptable to do or if support is expected to just be the support soul of their class. Any help you guys can offer would be awesome and I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't really find anything about non-oracle support.
    Cleric's currently do not have any viable hybrid builds for any role (Support/Dps/Heals) in a raid format. 61 Oracle is the definitive support build and going any less than that will just gimp the group. It does have a bit of shielding/healing in the tree though. With that said, in dungeons or anything outside of raiding, mix whatever souls make you happy.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Soulwalker

Okay thanks, I'm only 52 atm and healing dungeons in between quests but I figured I'd try to give support a shot to speed up queues. Right now my healing spec is purifier, I was running defiler since it did good dps while healing but it seems a lot of groups take too much damage for me to be able to do it as defiler. I figured maybe I could run support defiler and just pew pew while helping heal when it's needed but I'm not sure if that'd be cool with most groups.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bacabed View Post
    Okay thanks, I'm only 52 atm and healing dungeons in between quests but I figured I'd try to give support a shot to speed up queues. Right now my healing spec is purifier, I was running defiler since it did good dps while healing but it seems a lot of groups take too much damage for me to be able to do it as defiler. I figured maybe I could run support defiler and just pew pew while helping heal when it's needed but I'm not sure if that'd be cool with most groups.

The support role in the dungeon queue normally is a dps player so it doesn't really speed up the queue any. The only support worth running in most dungeons would be one of the mage archon hyrbids or pure oracle but that's only really worth it if you have solid dps in the group that will benefit from the buffs.

For healing dungeons there is more room for hyrbridizing to maxmimize your contribution to the group. I run a 41 Oracle/ 32 Warden / 3 Inq for dungeon healing a lot. It does good dps and the wardens hots play a lot better with the 1 second gcd found in the Oracle tree.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Most dungeon groups expecting the supporter to be an additional DPS IF tank and healer are good enough.
    If not there is, most of the time, a lack of healing, whether its the tank takeing too much damage or there is too much groupdamage which the healer cannot handle alone or the healer lacks of healing-power overall.

So a spec which can produce a good ammount of healing while dpsing most of the time would be your spec of choice.
    Druid with healing faery, defiler or oracle.
    Or maybe a DPS spec with up to 28 points in justicar.

But thats only for dungeons, for raids there is only Oracle.

Soulwalker

Awesome, I guess I won't bother with oracle then since I don't intend to run support in raids I'd rather try to run defiler or puri. And for now I'll just run defiler as support, even when main healing I've been able to keep up with the dps so it shouldn't be a problem.

Rift Disciple

Plesse keep in mind, if you're running your first expert dungeons you shouldnt run it as a defiler if you are choosen as the main healer.
    They cranked up the damage by a big margin.
    So i would suggest using defiler as main healer again if you have at least 4 pieces of expert gear and the synergycrystal.

Soulwalker

I still can queue as support. I have a tank class, and I've read that all you need is 12 points in Justicar (level 36). I do not have any of the extra souls, so I'm worried that is what my problem is. I really enjoy running support on my rogue, and I would like to make a support type class (DPS/Healer) on cleric. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by keithgmccall View Post
    I still can queue as support. I have a tank class, and I've read that all you need is 12 points in Justicar (level 36). I do not have any of the extra souls, so I'm worried that is what my problem is. I really enjoy running support on my rogue, and I would like to make a support type class (DPS/Healer) on cleric. Does anyone have a recommendation?
    If you only mean dungeons, druid's perfectly fine for it. Many healers I've stumbled across have a little trouble when people other than the tank take too much damage or if there's a mechanic where the healer might be silenced or something. Druid + greater healing fairy with fae dispersion toggled on is a good filler for either of these scenarios. Make sure to manage the pets movements so it doesn't aggro mobs that aren't already being tanked.

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ion-guide.html tells you about the rotations to use. You may need to switch some things around, depending on gear level. I'm just a small step beyond entry level 60 gear on mine, and that macro is solid for me.
    Last edited by Taledra; 08-08-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Soulwalker

Actually, I can't even select it in the instant dungeon queue. That's the problem. I haven't even gotten to builds yet haha. But thank you!

+ Reply to Thread