+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Justicar in the gran scheme of things

Default Justicar in the gran scheme of things

I've always liked the Justicar soul. It had an interesting set of tools for an interesting job, tanking.

Recently I came back to my Justicar (which I hadn't played in about a year) to find him feeling a little... hollow.

I'm going to try to not make this a whining where's-my-salvation-threat-thread, and just say that it felt a little empty without it.

My question now, as I play, is where do I fit in to the grand scheme of things in the PvE scene?

I mean, you bring a Warrior tank for the utility-cooldowns and an MT potential. You bring a Riftwalker for the maneuverability and the AoE, and maybe even a little for the personal cooldowns. You bring a Arbiter for the crazy taunts etc etc.

But why bring a Justicar to raids?

I'm really trying to not sound like a whiner, but what exactly do we currently bring to the table that other classes can't do better?

Sure, we can spam our AoE to death, but is there really a need for that in a world where the Riftwalker or the Arbiter could do what we do, but with more perks?

I know it's a skill-thing, but I just wish we had a more defined place in raids (and if nothing else, salvation-threat always provided that).

Now we just feel like slightly less useful Paladins.
    Last edited by ViRALiC; 07-25-2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: And I managed to spell "grand" wrong in the topic, I continue to amaze.

Rift Chaser

Hmm you know even without Salvation you can still gain threat with the DoL and DoB as they still generate threat as normal on far away or out of reach enemies. works quite well for fights like Salvarola and Proteus only issue is that you have to land a heal and not overheal.

on a "where is my salvation threat" note though I still believe they should have just added a maximum radius that the threat can be used say for instance mobs within 15-20m of you are affected by salvation threat and everything else outside that is unaffected, although this may be difficult to implement.

as for our place we still hold a kind of "all round" position, we have heals and a battle res, we have some decent DPS when we use our convictions for Hammers and not much else (most fights allow you to do this), we have very decent agro tools including our doctrines (although no over healing) and some decent personal CD's. also our ST and AoE threat is fairly inline with other tanks (personally ive not had any issue with agro vs another tank unless they pop every CD to which I can just triple hammer to bring it back).

sure our playstyle has had to go under a major change and now we have to tank more like a warrior in that we have to manually get our threat rather than lolvation agro but we are still a valid choice on almost every encounter (some better than others). Every tank is now viable for every encounter but there will always be preferences we just have to make ourselves stand out as the better choice where we can.

P.S. due to the new Doctrines Cleric tanks (including myself), with the right build, full T2 gear and the ability to play the soul well, can now self heal an Expert enabling a 4dps + 1tank group.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliptrik View Post
    P.S. due to the new Doctrines Cleric tanks (including myself), with the right build, full T2 gear and the ability to play the soul well, can now self heal an Expert enabling a 4dps + 1tank group.
    i do this pretty often (whenever the healer trusts me enough) but there are 2 experts i can't quite manage, deepstrike and twisted dreams just put out too much damage and i fall behind

we have a good amount of passive healing which takes a bit of strain off of the healers especially on fights where you only have a single healer, and when the passive healing is not enough we can break out a small amount more for the group or quite a bit more for yourself. and lets not forget about that battle rez, when it is needed it can make or break the encounter.
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

Plane Touched

In addition to the above we also have the ability (though usin slightly less tyhan a full 61 justicar) to bring a tank with, two or even three interrupts, a self cleanse, an aoe cleanse or a double purge, making the cleric incredibly versatile, especially when you are struggling with group composition.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by krabcat View Post
    i do this pretty often (whenever the healer trusts me enough) but there are 2 experts i can't quite manage, deepstrike and twisted dreams just put out too much damage and i fall behind

and lets not forget about that battle rez, when it is needed it can make or break the encounter.
    Yea those 2 dungeons are the hardest for me to solo heal but doable esspacially with a decent group. you can always ask a mage (if the group has one) if they dont mind playing necro then giving you the 30% link while you place RM on them to keep them topped up.

The Battle Rez is definatly a great plus for us guilds on progression runs because thats an additional death you can afford to have while people are learning mechanics. also on fights with lots of adds your AoE healing can be quite large, for example Salvarola on the 2nd phase while tanking the small adds, i can still AoE and can reach upwards of 6-7khps which takes a massive strain off the healers esspecially when you place RM on the other tank!

Rift Chaser

All of the advantages above plus the only full tank spec in game that has a battle rez.
    And I will argue that for w/e its worth justicar keeps threat comfortably standing at range.

Fia

Justicar is pretty nice to play atm imo, I really like it. It just takes some practice if you're still used to building up tps with overheals. :)
    Last edited by Fia; 07-26-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

+ Reply to Thread