+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doood

Thread: Cleric Tank Trinket

Soulwalker

Default Cleric Tank Trinket

I was wondering which of this two trinkets are best for my cleric tank at the moment:
    1) Empowered Empyreal Shielding Matrix -> 97end 37parry/dodge + 8k shield on block/deflect (dropped from SBP, last boss)
    2)Expanse of the Crashing Seas -> 94end 28parry/dodge 30att/spell power + 75% reduction of 19487 incoming damage on use (dropped from IDH)
    My question is if it is better for a cleric to have some good mitigation or another shielding cd. Another question is: since I'm farming plats to buy the stone greater essence, can its effect trigger together with the trinket's?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Eksmanenvencers; 07-21-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Rift Chaser

yes the essences should be able to trigger along with the trinkets as they are separate procs and independent of eachother (although they may not proc at the same time but at different times which isn't a bad thing).

as for which is better...personally I use the SBP one currently until I get a T2 drop although others prefer the IDH since you can time it with certain boss phases or abilities as an additional CD (although most raid encounters it will only really last for 1 attack). since the IDH has a CD over the fight it will get used less than the SBP one which has a shorter internal CD.

Basically its more of a preference thing, do you want an additional CD to manage yourself or just want a self maintained shield that you will get every so often over the course of a fight?

Soulwalker

I completelly forgot that the IDH trinket is an upgrade of two and the second upgrade does the same effect of the SBP trinket but more powerfull...
    Since you say it's a matter of personal preference I think I'll go for auto-shield since the effect is applied automatically and you don't have to worry about it, while for the big shield you have to be aware to use it on the right occasions and not to waste it. Cleric tank has also a shield-cooldown already so mitigation is what I need.
    Thank you for the answer

Rift Chaser

If you are just doing randoms and stuff it really doesn't matter. But for actual raiding the IDH trinket is much better. Dodge/parry mean virtually nothing when it comes to tanking ANY raid boss. So if you want to tank raids, forget about those stats pretty much all together. The one stat that is important is endurance, and the SBP trinket has a 3 more points of endurance. With that in mind, based solely on stats the SBP trinket would in fact (imo) be slightly better.

But even with the stats on the SBP possibly being (slightly) better, due to having a 20k shield on a 1 minute cool down the IDH trinket is much more useful in an actual raid environment. The 8k shield procs from the SBP trinket seem nice in theory (passive shielding is always nice), but in reality, for all intents and purposes it's useless.

There are a couple reasons for this. First, the icd (internal cool down) on the SBP 8k shield is one minute! When I first found this out I was shocked (and apalled lol). If you aren't familiar with what internal cool down means, it means that once the trinket procs that 8k shield, it will not be able to proc that shield again for 1 minute. Another reason why the shield proc is useless is because it is extremely unreliable. The trinket shield will/can proc any time you block an attack, and this will usually happen when you least need it.

It also seems like you have a slightly misguided view on the use of the IDH trinket. If I were you, I wouldn't look at having that extra 20k shield as having to manage some other ability, but rather know that you have an extra safety net with sh!t hits the fan. Someone else posted that the shield from the IDH trinket will only last through one big hit, and if you use it at the correct time, he is absolutely right. Tanks almost always die when the boss does some ability that causes a very large amount of damage, not slowly over time due attrition (another reason why the 8k proc shield useless). Having an extra on demand 20k shield could very possibly save your raid some day. It is not a HUGE CD, but extremely useful when things start to get hairy.

Sorry for the long post, just felt like you could use some clarification of the actual benefits and drawbacks of the 2 trinkets.
    Dreezie

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Doood View Post
    There are a couple reasons for this. First, the icd (internal cool down) on the SBP 8k shield is one minute! When I first found this out I was shocked (and apalled lol).
    Wow ok didn't realise it was a 1min iCD I assumed it was ~10-15s like a lot of other trinket/essence procs (although didn't really pay attention to when mine procced). since the iCD is so long on the SBP, then the IDH one is way better in terms of tanking since its a controllable CD that can be used to save yourself if the healer either cant cope or is dead and being ressed.

I wish tooltips were more informative like they were on launch, yea there was a lot of information and potentially overwhelmed some players but atleast we knew exactly what to expect. for example how about more iCD information on items/gear, we get it on some abilities with wordings like "cannot be applied more than once ever x seconds" so why cant we get this on our items? also there are some other abilities that could benefit from this for example DoT's (seconds/tick).

+ Reply to Thread