+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By usman

Thread: Ward of Scorching

Default Ward of Scorching

Can Ward of Scorching be change to some else, I find it is completely useless no matter what level you are.
    I don't think removing it cast time will help, or lowering the mana cost.

I was thinking that it's could be a aoe heal instead.

Ward of Scorching - Restores X to X health over 6s and applies a stacking absorb shield effect every 2 seconds, absorbing up to X damage per stack on up to 3 or 5 allies. Max 3 stacks. Applies any active Sign on to those 3 or 5 allies.

Cost 8% mana and is a 6s channel, with no cooldown.

I'm not to sure if it should be 3 or 5 allies, it shouldn't be any higher though.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 07-20-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: mana cost
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Smile

Can Ward of Scorching be change to some else, I find it is completely useless no matter what level you are.
    I find it quite useful, especially in a raid environment... especially when coupled along with TTL and FO. It makes for a massive shield and a massive heal.

I was thinking that it's could be a aoe heal instead.
    Interesting. So you want purifiers' Surging Flames to make a return?

Ward of Scorching - Restores X to X health over 6s and applies a stacking absorb shield effect every 2 seconds, absorbing up to X damage per stack on up to 3 or 5 allies. Max 3 stacks. Applies any active Sign on to those 3 or 5 allies.
    That's an interesting idea, however critical hits with WoS for the shielding and healing component is quite strong - especially in a raiding environment.

Also, you're requesting that WoS cost 3400 mana per cast at 17,000 mana pool. If wearing a mana stone, which i think is 380 more mana, 17,380, which would push the mana cost to 3476. That is fairly excessive/steep. 20% of a mana pool isn't a good idea, would make micromanagement become quite the thing when healing.

What you described however is what Surging Flames use to be somewhat like pre-Storm Legion. Surging Flames was transferred over to Warden, moreover known as Shared Excess. (Excess healing would be transferred to nearby targets not at 100% HP)

Anyhow, I'd like to see the Ward of Fire channel grant a second stacking buff to the purifier, just for Ward of Scorching. When at six stacks, it would reduce Ward of Scorching's cast time and GCD to one second. By default, WoS is 2s cast time (each stack would be a 0.20s reduction), with a hefty mana cost at 2253 mana. Which is right around 13% of the clerics mana pool. I think that would be a more fair trade off than what you've laid out.

Purifier is a tank healing spec, not an AOE healer. Sure, Gathering of Flames and Flame of Life is in there, but those are raid CD's, rather a spammable AOE heal.
    --BC

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    I find it quite useful, especially in a raid environment... especially when coupled along with TTL and FO. It makes for a massive shield and a massive heal.
    Based on my tooltips

Scorching
    12268 heal
    5538 absorb

Fire
    11324 heal
    6923 absorb

Using TTL/FO is more efficient with Ward of Fire (if not already using with Latent Blaze) instead of Scorching as it provides ~20% higher absorb value and only 8% or so less healing at a much lower mana cost. There is really no reason to ever use Scorching unless you are stacking wards for a large hit. I burned through some back in inyr progression but that is the only instance i have actually used the ability.
    Last edited by haybale; 07-20-2014 at 07:24 AM.
    Haybale@Greybriar

Ascendant

Anyhow, I'd like to see the Ward of Fire channel grant a second stacking buff to the purifier, just for Ward of Scorching. When at six stacks, it would reduce Ward of Scorching's cast time and GCD to one second. By default, WoS is 2s cast time (each stack would be a 0.20s reduction), with a hefty mana cost at 2253 mana. Which is right around 13% of the clerics mana pool. I think that would be a more fair trade off than what you've laid out.
    Possibly this could be tied to instant ward of fire use much in the way that Life and Death Concord/Echoing Concord works for Inquis.

After consuming 6 stacks of Ward of Fire, the next Ward of Scorching has it's GCD and cast time reduced to 1 second. Lasts 10 seconds.

This prevents the puri from having to decide between Ward of Fire and Scorching at 6 stacks. Instead they will have the 1 second Scorching buff available as needed after Ward of Fire consumes Blessing of Flame.
    Haybale@Greybriar

You're requesting that WoS cost 3400 mana per cast at 17,000 mana pool. If wearing a mana stone, which i think is 380 more mana, 17,380, which would push the mana cost to 3476. That is fairly excessive/steep. 20% of a mana pool isn't a good idea, would make micromanagement become quite the thing when healing.
    I was going off what magelo tootips suggest the mana cost is for each ability, which now doing math know to be wrong.
    Magelo said 40% mana for Ward of Scorching, so I thought 20% would be about right.

I've thus changed it to 8% so it would be 1360 mana now, needs to cost more than one target and less than what Ward of Scorching is now.

The idea around it is to make Purifier easier during small groups of 5, in say Experts, where the incoming damage was heavy aoe instead just on the tank and Flame of Life didn't last long enough to handle the damage; also as Ward of Scorching is a 8 tier talent it wouldn't that useful for other healing souls to invest into normally.

As it would only be affecting up to 5 members Purifier would remain a pure tank healing soul at heart.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 07-20-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Ward of Scorching is vaguely useful because it stacks with ward of fire. So for those occasions when your tank has burn out and you know a big hit is incomming you can load up a scorching + insta fire combo to stack a big absorb on them if needed.

Though I do agree it's a rare situation where you will need to fall back on this combo and the spell is somewhat useless otherwise.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

Manacost and or cast time could take a bit of a nosedive in a balanced fashion.

Plane Touched

Change it to a 3s channel, 3 stacks of shield with 10s duration, 10 targets. Keeps pressure off a group but doesn't allow for aoe healing.

Shield of Telara

Since this is not dps related you might get a response in under a years time.

#buffclericpvedps

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Attillaa View Post
    Since this is not dps related you might get a response in under a years time.

#buffclericpvedps
    I doubt it people have asked for a change to scorching many many times now. funny part is its not like kervick isnt posting on the forums he has been posting like crazy about the mage stuff, but its to much effort for him to respond to other threads while revamping souls I guess

buffs dps pls

Shadowlander

Double Ward of Scorchings healing and make it a 3 second cast, leave the mana cost as is.

+ Reply to Thread