+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defiler Soul...

Default Defiler Soul...

Hello,

So i finally broke down and bought the defiler soul. Ive placed it as an off soul for my inq spec and ive seen an increase in my dps. But id like to play defiler and im a bit lost.

I spoke to a few pplin game and they gave me some info but i still dont understand what my primary role is andhow things work -.-. Am i a healer first? And dps 2nd?

Any and all help will be apreciated. Thank you!
    ♥,
    Sylverlune
    Goodbye my lovely alts, I knew you well
    My Ascend-A-Friend code: 2HRDPTLT2WTFDTWM6GDP
    *It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!* - REM

It depends on what your raid leader wants you to do. In most cases, in raid, you're pretty much there for your links on the tanks, and should be focussing on dpsing as much as possible. For that purpose the best spec is 61/10cab/5inquisitor, using Pain Transmission on cooldown, Marrow Harvest as your second top priority (that allows casting the least Somatic Desecration), and then Bond of Pain, Vex, Siphon Vitality, Curse of Discord, keeping Dark Water at 3 stacks, and finally Somatic Desecration.

Your Unstable Transformation is the strongest single target defensive cooldown in the game, and might be required on specific mechanics, depending on the fight. If not, I recommend using it if a tank is on the edge of dying, or if a healer or tank is down, on whoever is tanking, to allow for a recovery.

Defiler can also be used to pull high dps while healing dungeons, but that requires a bit of gear and practice.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvermoon View Post
    Hello,

So i finally broke down and bought the defiler soul. Ive placed it as an off soul for my inq spec and ive seen an increase in my dps. But id like to play defiler and im a bit lost.

I spoke to a few pplin game and they gave me some info but i still dont understand what my primary role is andhow things work -.-. Am i a healer first? And dps 2nd?

Any and all help will be apreciated. Thank you!
    I Have been practicing with defiler, when I get home ill check out where my talent points are at, other than 61 defiler, But as a casual t1 geared player I was pulling about 6k-9k dps + 2-4k hps through my links, and either try to help you ingame or through forums if your not US server, so check back here in 2 hr's
    60 Cleric = folgersinmycup
    2964 wisdom , 6673 spellpower,
    227 crit power, 996 pa levels
    530 hit
    Healing greater Illuminated tidesource and Nefarious shadesource

Are there anymacros i should make? Thanks in advance

Also would defiler dps be better than inq? Depending on te fight i do about 10 to 12k dmg (if im standing still and if its only one boss no target switching), compared to others its probably xtremely low dps hence wodnering if defiler would be a better dps option.
    Last edited by Sylvermoon; 07-17-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: moar questions sigh
    ♥,
    Sylverlune

Here is the "Spam" macro for the spec (when all the dots are already up)
    Code:
    #show Pain Transmission
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Pain Transmission
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Somatic Desecration
    cast Siphon Vitality
    The macro I use to trigger the stacks of Foul Grotwh :
    Code:
    #show Ghastly Restoration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ghastly Restoration
    cast Loathsome Restoration
    Cleansing macro :
    Code:
    #show Jealous Intervention
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Jealous Intervention
    cast @group01 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group02 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group03 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group04 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group05 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group06 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group07 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group08 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group09 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group10 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group11 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group12 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group13 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group14 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group15 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group16 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group17 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group18 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group19 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group20 Jealous Intervention
    Useful macro to reapply your link after you died or something :
    Code:
    #show Link of Agony
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @group01 Link of Agony
    cast @group06 Link of Suffering
    Adapt that last one to your need (right now it applies the 30% link on the player in first position in the raid, and 20% link on player in 6th position, usually these spots are for the tanks). You can add link of Misery and Link of Mistress aswel if they are safe enough to use.

I forgot to mention : on most of the fights it is safe to use your Beacon of Despair. Place it in melee so your Pain Transmission will hit harder. Also it is generally safer to place your non-needed links on pets (typically raptors from ranger and skeletons for warlocks), as they don't take damage from AOE and therefor won't add damage to you.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Answering your edit : No, correctly played, inquisitor will always pull ahead of defiler, minus extreme AOE cases where Pain Transmission and unholy Nexus will make your dps skyrocket.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Thanks so much fufi, and ill contact u in game tonight folgers, about 8 pst, and pls do post ur stuff in here too ill still be at work in 2 hrs blergh lol.
    ♥,
    Sylverlune

OK, I looked at my spec, Maybe im weird because its not the same as most would use, but then again im so far behind in raiding my spec probably isn't useful if your in t2 or t3 I haven't tested there.

my spec is 61 defiler 15 warden,

100% of fights I put my first 30% link on tank, then the next one on off tank, then I usually choose melee fighters for the 10 and 5% links so when I do dps through links its hitting boss or most likely who ever tank is fighting weather it be boss or adds,

So the way I play could be completely wrong and maybe we will both learn something through your thread if others respond.

Btw I have attack through tank because I have tank targeted for heals

I have the grief blight up, for extra heals, im more of a heal defiler I guess.

I start off with casting all my bonds except holy nexus on the tank with 30% then, marrows harvest, and siphon vitality, then I hit unHoly nexus. Unholy nexus isn't really needed if its a single boss fight with no adds.
    But anyways after all that I hit pain transmission and I throw some heals on tank if needed, and since I have 15 points into warden im also casting healing spray on tank and healing flood for 10 random peeps,

Your big heals or oh crap button will be Unstable transformation, That's something I throw on tanks for hide phase on the Frozen tempest twins fight. Or if we hit enrage on any other fight ill throw it on tank to give us the extra few seconds before we wipe but gives dps alittle tiny hope. You have a bunch of other little heal casts, just kinda go through them, some cost a lot of mana others don't, read them every time you heal you get a Absorb

So for macros I only use 1, since most of defiler abilitys = instant cast with no CD

/cast unholynexus
    /cast pain transmission
    /cast dehydrate

that's all.

This is my defiler build it could be a prebuild on internet somewhere, but since I play warden 75% of the time I kept it with defiler, or it may not be on internet for being so bad, but I have been able to use it pretty well.

This isn't my thread but im try to help OP with defiler, if I have anything wrong in this build I would also like to learn and know about other defiler builds.
    Last edited by RazorBurn; 07-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    60 Cleric = folgersinmycup
    2964 wisdom , 6673 spellpower,
    227 crit power, 996 pa levels
    530 hit
    Healing greater Illuminated tidesource and Nefarious shadesource

Shadowlander

Defiler is the best solo class for lvl 62 elite dailies in Dendrome, I've found. You throw out your beacon, your damage debuffs and dps when they're off cooldown, while healing your beacon through it all. Takes about 10 minutes to do the Crater dailies and around 15 to do the hive dailies. Beats waiting for a group!

I personally have gone 5 oracle/10 sent for SP and increased healing.... others go dps souls. Up to you, the difference is pretty small either way. Definitely not a bad soul.

As far as raids.... you're damage mitigation first, healing second, dps third. Link your tanks with 30/20/10% and a healer/healers with your lower links. Keep your HoT (the best heal over time ability in the game for ST, btw) and foul growth stacks up when you're good on mana (the 6% hp boost helps a lot). Keep cleanses up where applicable. Use your cooldown during big dps portions of fights, the +50% healing boost is godmode for tanks. When you're not healing, use your dps abilities and bonds for utility.
    Last edited by Varkrey; 07-17-2014 at 05:10 PM.

As far as I'm aware, if its one of the rare aoe occurrences where defiler pulls ahead of Inq, and all you care about is the dps and not the heals, it's worth going subsoul Warden for the Tidal Surge on Unholy Nexus + Pain Transmission. (Ironically, this build will also increase your raid heals)

Thread hijack powers activate!

My cleric is my second character and I hope to start the T1 10mans on it soon. If I intend to be defiler is it more appropriate for me join a pug as a DPS or a tank healer (Knowing that I'm only SLE-geared) ?
    Last edited by Rotrum; 07-17-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Defiler is not considered a healer. It's considered as a defiler, because it is a very unique role.
    Join the pug as a defiler. Depending on the group people might be very happy with having a defiler, or would just tell you to go dps.
    In either case healing the tank will probably not be your job ! You are there mostly for your link, negating a huge part of the tank damage, and there will probably be someone playing purifier/chloromancer/physician to take care of the tank.

@Varkrey : The hp buff is applied whenever someone gains your Foul Growth. When dpsing, there's a chance your links' targets will recieve a Foul Growth (see Rampant Growth talent), thus gaining the buff. It is therefor in most cases useless to manually cast Foul Growth or Explosive Growth (especially that one as it will burn through your mana).
    Last edited by fufi; 07-17-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Shield of Telara

It is a bit old, but I liked this guide:

http://rift-mmorpg.com/tag/defiler/

Default other souls...

So what other soul should i be using with defiler? Im wearing some t1 items n weapons, 496 hit, about 20k hp buffed. Was reading the guide someone posted and am thinking i want inq soul as my second, what would i want for last soul? Warden? Thanks!
    ♥,
    Sylverlune

+ Reply to Thread