+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you play an Oracle?

Default How do you play an Oracle?

Seriously, this is my first Oracle build. I really don't know this class and would like to understand it's strengths and weaknesses better. What do I use with it? How many points should be allotted Oracle and whatever the other 2 souls are?

All help is welcome...

Just look up the Oracle guides in the Cleric Guides section of the forum... they explain the spec better than anybody could in this thread in term of point-allowing.
    Last edited by Yaarielle; 07-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

The same way you play a bard.

Rift Chaser

Playing Oracle, like the post above said, is rather like Bard in that you have Builders (in the form of Emblems) and Finishers (Insignias). basic rotation requires a knowledge of what buffs/procs you have active and also their remaining time. my opening typically is;

Insignia of Protection > Premonition > Glacial Insignia > Wasting Insignia > Corroded Defense > Battle Fury > 10x Glacial Insignia.

after that its just Emblem of Ice > Emblem of Pain > Insignia (Glacial Insignia if off CD, Wasting Insignia if its not up or Insignia of Blood). If you have to use a non-Insignia ability before Premonition or Battle Fury is off CD you will have to cast Emblem of Alacrity again or else you will have to hard cast Insignia of Blood and that is not a good thing.

Just before Premonition comes off CD use the Insignia of Protection then use Premonition followed by your choice of Insignia's (typically 1 Wasting and then any 2 of the others).

when Battle Fury is about to come off CD basically start the opening rotation again (but replace Glacial with Blood if its on CD).

Weave In Defend the Fallen and Resuscitating Chant when the raid requires (if there is no specific point, i.e. burst phases, then Defend the Fallen can be used just before Battle Fury and the subsequent Glacial Spam). also for those reading this, we use and Archon that does the damage debuffs other than Illuminate so if you have not got an Archon you will need to use those as well especially on fights with multiple grouped enemies that require killing.

I have 2 builds I run;
    Healing focussed (uses Salvation as a boost to its shields, typically get 2-3k hps from Salvation on normal fights, 4.5-6k with 3+ mobs and Oversight active)
    DPS focussed (for when more damage is required)

I don't Claim to be an Expert but this is what works for me and I can float roughly in the middle of the DPS meters (sometimes near the top on burst phase fights or fights with 3+ mobs). my numbers are between 14-18k ST and upto 22-23k AoE sustained, but with burst can put me an additional 5-6k higher in each case.

a macro I find useful is;

#show Glacial Insignia
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Glacial Insignia
    cast Insignia of Blood
    cast Emblem of Alacrity
    cast Wasting Insignia

my basic Insignia button that allows for movement and phases when I have to turn around. all buttons are on my bars but this one makes things a bit easier when looking out for mechanics/buff timers.

Plane Touched

Macros

#show Defend the Fallen
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Defend the Fallen
    cast Resuscitating Chant
    cast Battle Fury
    cast Glacial Insignia
    y Defend the Fallen (+15% Damage for 15s)

#show Battle Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Battle Fury
    cast Glacial Insignia

If you don't use Resuscitating Chant many warriors and rogues are energy starved during their burst, so its best to use it at the same time as Defend the Fallen. Defend the Fallen macro will stop yelling at 3 lines so you don't have to worry about spamming chat.

Order I use:
    Premonition just prior to pull if no burst phase
    Corroded Defense, Curse of Consumption (if casting), Curse of Consumption (if casting), Insignia of Protection, Glacial Insignia, Wasting Insignia, Insignia of Blood, Defend the Fallen Macro

You may want to skip IoB if casting Curses before the DtF. Work with your archon on curses/Corroded, as your corroded is better and your curses are aoe. I usually tell them that if I cast it I will handle them for the remainder of the fight

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Emtbob View Post
    Premonition just prior to pull if no burst phase
    Corroded Defense, Curse of Consumption (if casting), Curse of Consumption (if casting), Insignia of Protection, Glacial Insignia, Wasting Insignia, Insignia of Blood, Defend the Fallen Macro
    Corroded Defense removes all emblems when cast (even with Premonition active) as it is not a damaging non-Emblem ability. it does not remove the Emblems with Battle Fury up tho as that specifies all abilities do not consume Emblems.

its also worth noting that (from what I have tested) Insignia of Protection does not consume emblems nor is it buffed/affected by them so you don't have to worry about Emblems when casting it. (this may have been a bug when I tested but have not revisited it recently, nor have I seen any patch notes about it).

as for the Macro yes that works fine but I prefer to have them separate so I can control them better. (its a preference thing )
    Last edited by Fliptrik; 07-14-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fliptrik View Post
    Corroded Defense removes all emblems when cast (even with Premonition active).
    This is not true. Corroded Defense will not consume emblems if Premonition is active.
    Haybale@Greybriar

haybale is right. Corroded Defense can be casted on an infinite amount of targets while premonition is active.

It will however consumes emblems as soon as your premonition buff has been consumed !

Which means you should cast Corroded Defense right after using premonition or right after your first emblem consuming ability.

Examples :

Premonition -> Discerning Wave -> Corroded Defense -> Glacial Insignia -> Wasting Insignia : OK
    Premonition -> Discerning Wave -> Glacial Insignia -> Corroded Defense -> Wasting Insignia : NOT OK (The second stack of Premonition was consumed by Glacial Insignia, and so Corroded Defense consumed the Emblems)
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Rift Chaser

hmm this has either changed or was bugged when I first played around with Oracle but will have a test tonight to confirm for myself. when it was using them up and I checked the wording of Premonition I assumed it was working as intended and didn't think to follow it up. (plus don't remember seeing any Patch notes on this)

also you mentioned Discerning Wave in the examples. I thought that used up the stacks also or is that only out of Premonition/Battle Fury?

Thanks for the info, will do a bit on confirming myself later and may even change my rotation if I can force myself not to remain on Auto-pilot for debuff rotations :P
    Last edited by Fliptrik; 07-14-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Plane Touched

I will usually cast Corroded Defense immediately after Premonition

Also, 12 Inq gets a purge. You have to lose the 4 Defiler, which loses an amazing amount of dps, but it does get you a purge.
    Last edited by Emtbob; 07-14-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Ascendant

hmm this has either changed or was bugged when I first played around with Oracle but will have a test tonight to confirm for myself. when it was using them up and I checked the wording of Premonition I assumed it was working as intended and didn't think to follow it up. (plus don't remember seeing any Patch notes on this)

Thanks for the info, will do a bit on confirming myself later and may even change my rotation if I can force myself not to remain on Auto-pilot for debuff rotations :P
    The wording on the tooltip only indicates how the ability interacts with damaging/healing abilities. It has no reference to all other abilities but it works just like Battle Fury while having a different condition of expiration (2 damaging/healing casts opposed to the 10 second duration of BF.)
    Last edited by haybale; 07-14-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    Haybale@Greybriar

also you mentioned Discerning Wave in the examples. I thought that used up the stacks also or is that only out of Premonition/Battle Fury?
    It was only an example.
    Discerning Wave will not be consuming emblems while you have a stack of premonition. Therefor you want to use it first or second (not considering Corroded Defense there) after using Premonition, but only if there is more than one target available. For ST purpose it is not a dps increase.
    It is better to use during Premonition than anywhere else in your rotation, because if you use it out of Premonition, it will consume Emblem of Alacrity (but Insignias don't). It also is very convenient that these abilities have the same cooldown.

During Battle Fury, it is better to spam Glacial Insignia to take advantage of it not going on cooldown.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

+ Reply to Thread