+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help a Returning Player!

Default Help a Returning Player!

Hi all,

I'm a returning player, as I said in the title - I played RIFT for a couple years from launch. I was in Alpha and all the Betas and I absolutely love the game, I just haven't been able to play for a while due to this pesky thing called "real life".

Anyway, I came back recently and made it to level 57 on my favorite character, my Cleric. I leveled her up mostly just through questing and IA's and I've only very briefly and unsuccessfully attempted a normal dungeon.

Here's what I'm running into - back in the day when I played the game heavily, I was a main raid healer. I healed very well and played my role pretty nicely, enough to make myself the MT healer of our raid force back then. But now... I can't even heal a normal dungeon?!? I've tried my best to get myself up-to-date on specs but I admit I know next to nothing about how drastically cleric healing has changed in the last year or so. I used to be able to knock it out of the park with sent/ward and I know that's changed for sure (except it still seems handy in PvP). I have never really "trained" myself in using Purifier souls in a group setting; the only time I've ever really gotten to use it was when I was tank healing back in the day so I have to say I kinda suck at using the soul.

I have the Defiler soul and that seems pretty darn cool but I have yet to try it in a group setting so, no idea how it REALLY works for healing groups.

To get to the bottom line: what do I do now? What should I do to get back into the swing of things and get my healing back up to par? My failure in the dungeon recently really got me down and thinking I should just roll another character - but I loved my Cleric so much that I don't want to give up. Does anyone have some kind of easier, beginner specs for healing to work with while I learn?

Thanks!

healing the last few normals can be a bit difficult because tanks don't tend to progress AS tanks and so don't tend to have great tanking gear, some even telling you that the gear makes no difference(which is wrong) and even tanks that DO have the appropriate gear will get hit pretty hard. that being said sent/ward (61/15 when fully spent) is a decent spec for healing because it has lots of cooldowns good ST healing and decent aoe healing.. another would be a puri/sent similar to this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#m8Fl8alagg/pAhgxgw
    the extra points can be spent wherever but keep in mind that double battle rezzes does not work as they share a cooldown
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

Thanks! Do you reccommend starting to heal some of the normals with a pre-made spec such as life-linker to try to learn Defiler and Puri better? I will try the spec you linked also!

by the time i got around to using defiler as a full healer as opposed to just throwing out a few healing spells in raid when needed, i was pretty overgeared for the experts. it also took me a while to find a spec that worked well enough for my liking. i did eventually find one that i liked and when i heal(queueing for everything you mostly get tank) i use it for most things. feel free to try it out but i would not be too surprised if it did not work as well as it should especialy lackign the crystal bonus to hideous reconstruction .

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#qgg/UkllliEGkG8/r8Y

the only problem i have with it is that it does not have an aoe cleanse so there are fights where i have to use something else. i am working on putting together a spec that has a cleanse, but i dislike having to give up that nice 30% link and a few other abilities.
    Last edited by krabcat; 07-11-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    everything is inextricably inter-twingled
    ~Phillip Bertoni 1949-2011

+ Reply to Thread