+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lvl 46- My journey as a Druid so far

Soulwalker

Default Lvl 46- My journey as a Druid so far

I wanted to take a moment to talk some about my experiences playing a druid and put forth a few questions at the end.

I came back to Rift a few months ago after taking a long time off. The last class I was playing was Cleric as a shaman and I wanted to continue working with the cleric class but I wasn't sure Shaman suited me. So I did some searching and found TheGrinnz guide which was great for getting me on track.

The problem I found with the guide is it focused on 60 mainly but my main curiosity was the levels in between. So hopefully this can fill in the gaps some or maybe give some insight to someone else like me.

First I followed the recommended build all the way to 45 or so. The reason is because the healing from Justicar is needed and I just didn't see any other way to run a pet and still have the survivability I wanted. I did make one deviation in that I chose Purifier for the 3rd soul instead of Cabalist because I didn't like the time needed to cast Vex whereas I could add Symbol of the Torch to my spam macro and have some added health buffer. Once I got Aid of the Forest I got rid of the symbol and started in on the Shaman path. I might change that around soon though.

Anyway, while I was leveling I used the tank pet almost exclusively. I switched to the healing fairie when I was soloing dungeons or exceptionally hard fights, but mostly just the tank. I've been trying out the melee damage as well lately but I haven't made a definite decision on that one.

The Druidicar is hard to take down and almost all of my deaths are the result of my forgetting to keep up the healing buff when doing AE fights. While the ability to get 6-10 heals from a single swing is neat, most of the time it wasn't enough to counter the incoming damage.

The questions I have relate to third soul and where to go from here.

Is going full Druid with some points in Warden/Purifier for heals something that makes sense?

How effective is the HoT from Warden to a Druid and the pet? I'm thinking having a steady source of healing instead of relying on procs would be a good option, but any feedback would be welcome.

The tank pet seems to have a great combination of damage and survivability, is there any real reason to pick the other pets most of the time? I've tried the caster and the melee dps some but neither seems to have the impact of the tank, but that could just be perception.

Thank you

Rift Master

Is going full Druid with some points in Warden/Purifier for heals something that makes sense?
    For solo use, yes. I'd recommend purifier over warden. Preventive shielding generally yields better results than reactive healing. Most of my leveling builds had up to 12 points in purifier, it worked well for me, and I was still able to toss some heals to my husband if he was struggling with something.

How effective is the HoT from Warden to a Druid and the pet? I'm thinking having a steady source of healing instead of relying on procs would be a good option, but any feedback would be welcome.
    The HoTs from warden aren't very great by themselves without putting a bunch of points in the soul. I've experimented with warden and sentinel and purifier as offsouls for survival, puri always gave me best bang for my buck so to speak. As for the pet, keep in mind that any group heals you end up with access to will not affect the pet. The pet must be targeted if you're going to heal it. Though honestly, this shouldn't be necessary most of the time.

The tank pet seems to have a great combination of damage and survivability, is there any real reason to pick the other pets most of the time? I've tried the caster and the melee dps some but neither seems to have the impact of the tank, but that could just be perception.
    I'm surprised you've had good luck with the tank pet, I never have. It never paths right for me, gets hung up a lot, and can't seem to attack while moving. I nearly always use the seer fairy. If I'm in a duo/trio and we're doing elites or something I'll bring out the healing fairy and turn on aoe healing (fae dispersion - not sure what level you get that). I'm not sure what the most effective use of the pets is supposed to be. For 90% of my solo play, the seer does it all. Good aoe with fae dispersion, good healing with aid of the forest, and seems to have the ability to absorb hits with ease. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd have the seer play tank, but it probably could to a degree for short periods of time.

I'd recommend trying Seatin's Build, It is actually 1 of the Presets in game now as well

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...itive-dps.html

Here is why, this build has all the survivability you need w/o Justicar in the mix and you get a fairly amazing DPS, I think its actually 2nd behind the Shaman build for best Cleric DPS, it beats Inq builds hands down everytime

For healing try out the Faerie Seer, Yes that is the DPS pet
    Her DPS with Aid of the Forest is enough to keep you Alive in almost any situation.

Miner change to Seatin's guide tho I recommend you Take out the Spirits from his macros and handle them manually. And just use the Seer, The destroyer is slightly better ST DPS, but the down time to switch pets combined with him there messing up your view just not worth it IMO.

Spirit of Asphodel with Fae Dispersion Off for single target
    Spirit of Upheaval with Fae dispersion On for AoE
    so all ya have to do is click the Spirit you want on and toggle Fae Disp 2 clicks and you change modes
    Last edited by Eilauria; 07-15-2014 at 05:14 PM.

+ Reply to Thread