+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strike of Retribution purpose

Soulwalker

Default Strike of Retribution purpose

What is the purpose of this ability? Every ability I have as a Justicar does more damage than this attack, including justicar debuffed inquisitor and shaman abilities. Furthermore, it requires that a block have happened in the last 5 seconds and has no special abilities, at least as far as the tool tip is concerned. Why do we have this avility, especially when we can always cast rebuke or strike of judgement; and why does it occasionally show up as the move to always be using when up in guides?

Plane Touched

Strike of Retribution is off global cooldown. Stick it in a macro behind your main attacks and even justice and it will do a little bit more damage to your target every 6 seconds.

As to its actual purpose now, I don't know.

Shadowlander

The purpose is in the name.

It's a counter-attack.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Varkrey View Post
    The purpose is in the name.

It's a counter-attack.
    But it doesn't really do anything, its not like Justicar does much damage when it can block, and Justicar aggro is so high that its not needed.

This is a nice change of pace, someone who actually wants less dps.

If you want to really max out your dps as justicar, this ability can be used with a non life damaging ability (like vex) and let you build a conviction regardless.
    In reality, the dps gain is so little and there are already so many buttons for the numerous cooldowns and taunt that I don't know anyone who cares enough to do that.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Shadowlander

its best to use it in a macro since it's off the global cd. what it allows you to do is get 2 convictions in one global, which was a quick way to build up convictions before "confidence" was added. it's still a great way to quickly build convictions.

Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    its best to use it in a macro since it's off the global cd. what it allows you to do is get 2 convictions in one global, which was a quick way to build up convictions before "confidence" was added. it's still a great way to quickly build convictions.
    As far as I know, you can't gain more than one conviction per GCD from damaging abilities (I think it's capped at one per second).
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

Shadowlander

It's an extra 300-400 dps depending on how quickly you use it when the proc is up. It gives you an extra conviction (which does not have a cap from what I've seen, btw, if you have enough mobs on you, you can go from 0-7 in one round of auto-attacks via blocking from mobs. During defense of x point on the map, you can have anywhere from 10-30 mobs on you at once if you don't use fury of the ascended and you never run out of convictions) which allows you to use hammers more often.

Not using it is just a waste of dps and risks one of your dps taking aggro (assuming you're not as geared or overgeared vs your dps). I have seen this happen so many times with crappy tanks in Tier 1s, Eggtenders (which if you range tank, you can't use the ability, but spamming 1 skill doesn't help either) and SLEs because they just spam 1 skill instead of playing their class. As a tank you should at least be doing 1/5-1/4 the damage of your top DPS.
    Last edited by Varkrey; 07-08-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Okay you're not up to date with the spec. You don't gain convictions from blocking anymore, and I am pretty sure you can't gain more than one conviction from damaging abilities per second, which is why Sanction Heretic didn't give a conviction on the first tick when playing senticar if you were still attacking. However if you used a DoL you would gain an extra one (or two if it critted). This limit has been there since forever.

From this we can determine that Strike of Retribution can be managed to gain an extra conviction during a GCD from which we were not supposed to gain one.
    You can either use that information to gain extra dps by using Vex and Massive Blow, but this results in a threat decrease, since these abilities don't have a threat modifier, and the dps gain is abysmal. What you can do, is macroing it to conviction consuming abilities (Hammers and Doctrines), and if you're not a bushon masher, you'll end up having 1 convction instead of 0 after using your Hammers. This requires not mashing the button at all and waiting for the convictions to be consumed before using Strike of Retribution.

Back to the reality, it is barely worth it and requires too much patience, so most people just macro it with their spam macro and it is a dps gain over not using it.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria

+ Reply to Thread