+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Inquisitor cleaving and aoe changes

Shadowlander

Default Inquisitor cleaving and aoe changes

Now, I'm not suggesting anything ground breaking here, but circle of oblivion is useless and there's no dispute that Soul Drain will disrupt my rotation. By following the changes suggested below it will also bring the aoe more in-line with the rest of the mechanics of the soul.

Circle of Oblivion: Now deals life damage and generates one stack of Life and Death Concord with every tick.

Soul Drain: Consumes up to two charges of Echoing Concord, each stack reducing the cast time of Soul Drain by 1second.

These changes should only make a slight difference in inquisitor dps when it comes to cleaving as they will be able to get soul drains off whilst maintaining single target rotation better. As far as I'm concerned there would still be no situation where you would use Circle of Oblivion, but the change makes it relate more to the soul itself and will also have an effect on those that are still new to Inquisitor and like to use it a lot in teaching them the mechanics of the soul.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTSENTBESTSENT View Post

Circle of Oblivion: Now deals life damage and generates one stack of Life and Death Concord with every tick.
    Sorry, I mean each second channeled generates one stack of Life and Death Concord.
    Last edited by JUSTSENTBESTSENT; 06-27-2014 at 04:55 AM.

Rift Disciple

Interesting suggestions.
    I don't see in which way this will push me to use Circle of Oblivion anywhere (it's so weak), but it's definitly in line with the soul. Atm, I only use it to try to reveal a sin around.
    Love your proposal with soul drain, not sure with the 1s though, maybe 0.75 or 0.5 would be enough (should it be instant-able?), but the idea makes perfectly sense to me.
    You would then have to choose between spending your concord stacks in aoe or ST.

This does however not help us in 1v1 against foes like WL for example, against which I still have to find a way to compete or even escape..

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Koruen View Post
    Love your proposal with soul drain, not sure with the 1s though, maybe 0.75 or 0.5 would be enough (should it be instant-able?), but the idea makes perfectly sense to me.
    You would then have to choose between spending your concord stacks in aoe or ST.
    I suggest one second per stack as I felt 0.5 seconds (spending 2 stacks simply to fit it into the rotation cleanly) felt too expensive for a spell that generally won't be a ST dmg increase. I feel this would discourge its use into oblivion and force you to only use it when you have 0 stacks of Echoing Concord, which would not assist in working it into your rotation at all..
    As you say it's a choice between cleaving with SD and higher ST with BOR.
    Last edited by JUSTSENTBESTSENT; 06-27-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Rift Disciple

I suggest one second per stack as I felt 0.5 seconds (spending 2 stacks simply to fit it into the rotation cleanly) felt too expensive for a spell that generally won't be a ST dmg increase.
    Not at home yet so i can't verify, but 5 stacks concord for instant BoD vs 2 stacks for instant Soul Drain, not sure at all it's a ST dps loss.

Shadowlander

Not at home yet so i can't verify, but 5 stacks concord for instant BoD vs 2 stacks for instant Soul Drain, not sure at all it's a ST dps loss.
    I think you misunderstood. The Soul Drain would consume up to 2 stacks (0-2) of Echoing Concord making it work similar to Bolt of Retribution and Bolt of Judgment, just that it would consume up to 2 stacks instead of 0 or 1 depending on whether or not you have any stacks. You obtain an instant BoD by gaining Unified Theory by gaining 5 stacks of Life and Death Concord.
    Last edited by JUSTSENTBESTSENT; 06-27-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Plane Touched

Why not have Soul Drain work as a death spell with Life and Death Concord and Unified Theory. That way Soul Drain will just replace Bolt of Depravity as the finisher in inquisitor's rotation.

Rift Disciple

I think you misunderstood. The Soul Drain would consume up to 2 stacks (0-2) of Echoing Concord making it work similar to Bolt of Retribution and Bolt of Judgment, just that it would consume up to 2 stacks instead of 0 or 1 depending on whether or not you have any stacks. You obtain an instant BoD by gaining Unified Theory by gaining 5 stacks of Life and Death Concord.
    My bad, I might have misunderstood as it's not my native language and skills haven't the same name for me.
    You mean after consuming Unified Theory, you get 2 Echoing Concord that u can choose to use for 2 fast BoR or 1 instant Soul Drain, or even 1 fast BoR and a 1s Soul Drain?
    Sounds fun, but Echoing Concord gives bonus to life cast skills so I dunno.
    So another solution (what I understood at first) would be that Unified Theory would allow you (an instant or 1s) cast time Soul drain or the actual instant BoD.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Emtbob View Post
    Why not have Soul Drain work as a death spell with Life and Death Concord and Unified Theory. That way Soul Drain will just replace Bolt of Depravity as the finisher in inquisitor's rotation.
    I feel like it would gimp the ST damage much harsher than replace a BOR or 2 for a SD cast whilst being mobile. I can't see myself ever replacing a BOD with a SD unless 4 targets maybe?

Shadowlander

even 1 fast BoR and a 1s Soul Drain?
    This would be ideally how you fit it into your rotation most cleanly. Once at one stack and there is a cleaving opportunity, it would be that moment to use SD. You could have used it prior if you needed the cleave then, but it would be at a loss to your ST as it would consume 2 stacks of Echoing Concord. Alternatively if you have to move and you have stacks of EC it is a viable sink hole - rather than dotting with AR, MH, COD until you can find a location to cast BOR - if there is a cleave opportunity.

Plane Touched

I feel like it would gimp the ST damage much harsher than replace a BOR or 2 for a SD cast whilst being mobile. I can't see myself ever replacing a BOD with a SD unless 4 targets maybe?
    Losing some ST damage for higher AoE damage is normal. Also that change works thematically with the talents, L&DC/UT affecting death spells and Echoing Concord affecting life spells. SD would still give 2 EC stacks.

Having Symbol of Corruption affect SD would be an improvement as well.

CoO doing life damage would be a huge boost to aoe damage with the above change, although the name implies death damage. Maybe split it half life half death for the inquisitor theme. Also Concentration should affect CoO.

Shroud of Agony would be awesome if it was targetable, but might have to have a shorter duration than 1h

I like the idea of lowering the cast time of your next souldrain via some single target casts. Since its still on GCD it would lower your ST DPS a little but its on purpose because the inquisitor is consciouly using it to enhance fights that rely on having mostly ST DPS but with moments of needed cleaving.

Right now circle of oblivion, if the above change went in, would be analogous to our warlock AOE. We just dont use it. We radiate and thats our AOE, then we go back to ST. If we need more streaming AOE we teleport to the future and use the new stormcaller or we play necro or dom instead.

I'm not sure how to make devouring shadows or circle of oblivion more useful in team raid situations...and honestly I'm not sure if we should. If everyone can equally swich to very reasonable AOE whilst still being in an ST DPS class...I just dont want the new AOE overhauls to get overshadowed. They are so powered that just one or two in a team of 20, they allow STers to keep STing with an assisted cleave (like radiate death or the suggestion here to affect soul drain). However if everyone can ST and cleave and have reasonable AOE then I feel those AOE class changes might end up mute once again . Maybe give it utility? Honestly, if the final tick were to proc a 1 second stun I'd love it. Then warlocks and inquisitor could help CC in pve at a sacrifice to their ST dps if needed. If they alternate when they start there cast they could keep a small pack of adds a bit more stationary. That kind of cordination I doubt would happen in pvp so I wouldn't see it as a pvp balance worry, specially since it only occurs at the end of a full channel. Plus a warlock just channeling devouring shadows just for a final proc of a stun in pvp is meaningless except in a few tactical situations (like trying to stun a few players attacking a crystal carrior, knowing you wont kill them but might give the carrior a window to escape).
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 06-27-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I like the idea of lowering the cast time of your next souldrain via some single target casts. Since its still on GCD it would lower your ST DPS a little but its on purpose because the inquisitor is consciouly using it to enhance fights that rely on having mostly ST DPS but with moments of needed cleaving.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I'm not sure how to make devouring shadows or circle of oblivion more useful in team raid situations...and honestly I'm not sure if we should. If everyone can equally swich to very reasonable AOE whilst still being in an ST DPS class...I just dont want the new AOE overhauls to get overshadowed.
    CoB would still be pretty much worthless, just not as worthless. It would never come close to shaman or cabalist aoe.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Emtbob View Post
    Shroud of Agony would be awesome if it was targetable, but might have to have a shorter duration than 1h
    This would be too OP unless it had like a minute CD.

The problem with Circle of Oblivion is that, unlike Bound Fate from Cabalist, it only hits 5 targets instead of 8.
    Yaarissime@Greybriar, lvl 65 cleric (taking a pause from the game)
    Chewgi@Greybriar, lvl 60 warrior
    Greanie@Hailol, lvl 60 rogue
    Youshallnotpass@Hailol, lvl 20 mage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast