+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric Melee PvP

Soulwalker

Default Cleric Melee PvP

Hey guys! How's everyone doing?

I just recently came back to Rift after a couple of years of being absent, and, boy, things have changed a lot.

I have been doing tons of research on each of the classes and I have made at least a level 15 in each of them. So far, Cleric and Warrior seem to be my two favorite.

I am looking for a soul build that excels at 1 v 1, yet, is helpful to a team as well. Currently, I have been building a Shaman/Justicar and a Warlord/Paragon, but, I have noticed some faults with them. My Shaman/Justicar at this level (Low 30s) doesn't seem to have the damage I'd like it too. Sure, it can survive really well without needing constant heals, but sometimes I feel too weak. The exact opposite is happening with my Warlord/Paragon. He can dish out the damage, but as of now, he is way too glass cannony for my style.

Is there any middle ground? If so, I would love some suggestions. Any and all build ideas are welcome.

Champion of Telara

There is not a Cleric alternative to Warlord.

Shaman is a fantastic melee DPS class, but it is fairly squishy. It does great in PvP with healing support. You can troll as a Justicar off tank, but you will generally lack the burst to be a threat.

41 Druid/35 Justicar will give you great burst with Hammer of Duty and Resounding Blow, but you have very little capability to deal with disconnects, unlike Warlord hybrids that get multiple charges/pulls.

41 Oracle pairs well with several other souls. With 35 Shaman for our best ranged burst, but a fairly squishy spec. There is also a variant with Druid. I like 41 Oracle/28 Justicar / 7 Inquisitor, which puts up near tank HPs and can burst with both HoD and Battle Fury. Those last two are probably closest to Warlord that we can get (high survivability and still good damage). But they are nowhere near as derpy and easy as WL specs. The Ora/Just variant is ranged.
    Last edited by Caeus; 06-21-2014 at 09:45 PM.

If pvp is your thing then go with the warrior, it will just get stronger and stronger as you level up. Any kind of cleric melee pvp spec will always be a bit of a fail in comparison
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

Soulwalker

I'm not necessarily looking for a cleric version of a Warlord but more like, for lack of a better example, something like a Ret Paladin from WoW or a Guardian from Guild Wars 2.

I just got Rage of the North and Icy Blow on my Shaman, and that really really helped a lot. I can crit on players at lvl 34 around 1 - 1.2k with Rage of the North and Massive Blow.

I really like the cleric and I want to stick with him, but is Shaman viable at high levels? Would it be better to go straight 61 Shaman or more of a hybrid between Shaman and Justicar?

How is a Warlord/Paladin?

Rift Chaser

Warlord can faceroll and beat anyone 1vs1 maybe 1vs2 and even kill a non skilled healer.

Shaman can efficiently run away in 1vs1 if he use aoe stun and activate speed buff when someone target him.

Soulwalker

Honestly I feel like everyone plays Warriors and Rogues and it kind of sickens me. I really don't want to have my Warlord be my main because they are too easy apparently.

Can anyone help me with a viable Shaman pvp build? Or not?

Rift Chaser

Shaman is viable if you bring pocket heal rogue with you, without pocket healer dont even bother do to pvp with shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by jebeninick View Post
    Shaman is viable if you bring pocket heal rogue with you, without pocket healer dont even bother do to pvp with shaman.
    you can solo queue as a shaman just fine as long as you're self-aware and not terrible, i do it all the time and do great. it's a very viable soul, you just have to know how to get in and get out. you just can't zerg surf like a warlord with twice the ehp.

the only major issue with shaman in pvp at the moment is how easily a dom can shut you down compared to every other melee soul in the game, which is something i've tried to discuss with kervick, but he's ignored my pm's about it and the effect of the passive pain armor drain on shamans compared to all other melee souls.

i don't quite understand why one under-represented soul in pvp has to be hurt so much worse by abilities like this or why he insists on hurting clerics when he's the mage AND cleric dev but i have a feeling that unlike vladd, he doesn't really pvp.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Soulwalker

So seeing as I haven't really experienced a patch yet, how often do they fix PvP classes/souls? Because from what I've heard is that Warrior and Rogue are superior (Which is more than disappointing)

I think I'm going to stick with Shaman and have both a Sentinel and an Inquisitor offspec. I feel playing Warlord is for people who can't learn another soul and who don't like a challenge.

Rift Chaser

Last cleric dps that got an update was Inq with 1 sec global cd.

Why would they even touch clerics now that warriors and rogues got their superior heals.

Even mages got an update here and there...

But I am more concerned about Trion venture into Archeage with 150€ greedy alpha testing. That game have a lot of potential but seeing how rift is going downhill nothing is impossible.
    Especially when Wildstar have failed.
    Last edited by jebeninick; 06-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Oh man this OP. You want a melee spec that has high health, good defense and good damage? Warlord is the spec for you! Don't let others dissuade you with their negativity or bashing of a supposedly "simple" spec. You think you know what you want but you really don't, Warlord's there, just reach out and take it.

If you really want to 1v1 melee though, rogue is your best bet. You won't be reliant on others for heals, you get to pick and choose your fights and you can slip away if you don't think you can get the kill. I have 4 60's, one toon of every calling, and rogue is by far the best, most well-rounded pvp calling in the game.

Only bads play WL. Real G's play Para. And yes p90 61 Shamy has ~35-40k hp # Daranei.

Quote Originally Posted by Sezex View Post
    And yes p90 61 Shamy has ~35-40k hp # Daranei.
    not without points in justicar it doesn't, and you won't see 40k without endurance orbs/runes. shaman gets 5% end from it's tree and that's it.

http://i.imgur.com/7TU0lt9.jpg self buffed without a feast.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    not without points in justicar it doesn't, and you won't see 40k without endurance orbs/runes. shaman gets 5% end from it's tree and that's it.

http://i.imgur.com/7TU0lt9.jpg self buffed without a feast.
    y i have 30k too with p90. 40k is just fantasy. rogues can have 40k easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigerz View Post
    So seeing as I haven't really experienced a patch yet, how often do they fix PvP classes/souls? Because from what I've heard is that Warrior and Rogue are superior (Which is more than disappointing)

I think I'm going to stick with Shaman and have both a Sentinel and an Inquisitor offspec. I feel playing Warlord is for people who can't learn another soul and who don't like a challenge.
    You can play every soul. Don't know why you are limiting yourself to one soul type. You can buy like 20 roles or more. The first few are dirt cheap. And if you are limiting yourself to one soul type why not opt to go healer as it is the most forgiving for people who don't want to fully learn to play the class? If I were you I would just play puri or sent until I am higher level.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 07-07-2014 at 06:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread