+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Inquisitor PvP

Telaran

Default Inquisitor PvP

So I'm struggling a bit in PvP with Inquisitor. It just doesn't seem to compete remotely close to Rogues or Warriors. Mages seem to be somewhat close to Cleric performance minus their stacked damage with Cinderburst and double fireballs, but Inquisitor just doesn't seem to have any burst unless you're cramming cooldowns. Even then, it doesn't compare to Paragon...

Anyway, just wanting a bit of advice on builds and tips for playing Inquisitor in pvp, hell, any advice for Cleric pvp would be nice.
    "Xes lliw eb yrotadnam yliad ylthign"

Champion of Telara

You will struggle with Inq in PvP until you get at least full Warlord gear. Early on I'd recommend stacking endurance over offensive stats. By the time you start adding Myrmidon and Depleted Gear to your equipment you can begin swapping in more Crit Power over endurance.

You want 61 Inquisitor and 11 Cabalist to start, don't bother with any other spec. Cabalist gives you +10% DoT damage in the second tier and Dark Passage as the 11th point. Dark Passage is a total CC break and 20M blink on a 20s cooldown. It is absolutely indispensable in PvP and is even more important than Judicial Privilege for surviving.

Spend your last 4 points however you want. 4 Defiler will max your DPS, 4 Justicar (+End tree) will boost your HPs by 2,000-3,000, 4 Shaman will give you another anti CC and a flat damage reduction.

Here is how I map my commands:

F1-F4 - Confuse, Fear, Circle of Oblivion, Soul Purge
    1-5 - Scourge, Vex, Spam Macro, BoD Macro, Nysyr's Macro
    Q - Dark Passage macro
    E - Harsh Discipline
    R - Bolt of Retribution macro
    T - Radical Coalescence
    F - Judicial Privilege
    Mouse Center - Spiritual Deficiency
    Mouse 2 - Knockback
    Mouse 3 - Interrupt

Macros:
    Spam Macro
    #show Bolt of Judgment
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Purge (Many people will disagree with this and put Purge on its own key)
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Bolt of Judgment
    cast Curse of Discord

BoD Macro
    #show Fanaticism
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Fanaticism
    cast Bolt of Depravity

Nysyr's Macro
    #show Nysyr's Rebuke
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Perseverance
    cast Nysyr's Rebuke

Dark Passage Macro
    #show Dark Passage
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Break Free
    cast Dark Passage

Bolt of Retribution Macro
    #show Bolt of Retribution
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Bolt of Retribution
    cast Dark Water (let's you cast 3 stacks of DW when chasing, you can also jump to fire it when standing still)

A lot of players will have kittens at those macros, but I have 2 general theories on PvP:
    1) Always move
    2) Keep keybinds accessible without moving my hand

General playstyle (This is my preference and I make no claims that it is ideal)
    • Stay at the edges of combat range
    • Start every target with Scourge and Vex, DoT up several people to keep up passive healing and to add pressure
    • When you settle on a target (should be a soft target) use your spam macro until Unified Theory is up
    • BoD Macro X2
    • Nysyr's Macro to cast Perseverance
    • Stop to cast Nysyrs
    • 2X BoR macro while standing still
    • Reapply DoTs

Nysyr's usage
    Nysyr's is the most easily recognizable burst in the game and most experienced players will interrupt it as soon as they see the cast, thus using Perseverance immediately before will often soak up their reactionary CC. It is best to use Nysyr's when there is a lot of chaos OR when you are standing almost on top of a target. One thing I will do is start charging my target as I fire BoD, then hit Nysyr's when I am right on them. Expect your Nysyr's to be LoS'd or interrupted quite often, it's just the nature of the ability.

ABCDP
    Always be casting Dark Passage!!
    It's a fast cooldown powerful break free. Use it defensively, offensively, and preemptively. Put Break Free in front of it in the macro so you can use it up on Debilitates before firing DP. I use Dark Passage to get to control points faster, to break CC, to escape melees, to keep LoS and range on fleeing targets, and to preemptively get the heck out of a hot area when I feel the TAB target zerg about to hit.

There's a time to Nuke and a time to DoT
    You have to get a feel for this, and it will define your playstyle. I keep several people loaded up with Scourge and Vex because they do a lot of damage and Contempt is essential to staying topped off on health. I will also opt to add in three stacks of Dark Water and even Curse of Discord if I want to swap off a target instead of nuking them down, or if I want to DoT load a stealther or low HP enemy. Sometimes I just circle the perimeter of a fight DoT loading people until I get feel for the flow of combat and target priority.

When I want to kill someone, it is time to nuke. That means maximizing the use of BoJ-->BoD-->BoR mechanic. Always work towards getting Unified Theory up fast. Use BoD immediately when it is on instant cast, then stop and ALWAYS use the two fast cast Bolts of Retribution. This is your bread and butter burn down rotation.

Save Nysyr's for when you think your opportunity of success is highest. It can be especially effective when helping to focus down a healer. One note about Fanaticism and Nysyr's: The absolute best DPS burst you can get from Nysyr's is to use it immediately after Fanaticism and Bolt of Depravity because Zealotry will give each tick of Nysyr's 30% crit chance bonus.

Your absolute maximum damage potential burst is Fanaticism --> BoD --> Nysyr's --> BoR x2 --> BoD -- BoR x2.

Use of Radical Coalescence
    If you have good support and healing, use it offensively to double up the above alpha burst. If you don't, think of it as a second opportunity for Judicial Privilege. You will develop a sense for when is the right time to use it.

Paragons, Warlords, and Assassins OH MY
    These are your three biggest threats in most Warfronts. They have access to huge burst damage and good toys for beating you in the CC game. Nightblades, Shamans, MM/Rangers, and Pyros are also threats.

Dealing with melee that bursts and has better CC/Break free is difficult, but doable. Warlords are the worst because they have endless amounts of charges, roots, and pulls as well as tremendous burst from Battlefield Experience. Assassins frontload a tremendous amount of damage, and Paragons, Shamans, and Nightblades will flat out burn you down if they stick to you.

First line of defense - I cast Fear as soon as I am hit. I do this for one reason - to try and get them to blow their purge. Next I Dark Passage away (and hit Judicial Privilege if needed).

At this point you are likely being pulled, rooted, stunned again. I try to jump/turn while running away and use knockback and then confuse. At this point you can decide whether to keep running (using a second JP if needed) or if you have managed to make them break off, start chasing from max range to lay some DPS on them. If you get greedy though, your chances of losing are very high. The burst melee in the game can chew through 2 Judicial Priveleges long before you can set them up for a kill if you try to face tank them or if you get caught without DP, JP, and your CC available. So proceed with caution. My method is to survive first then seek revenge at a time where the conditions favor me, and that almost always means focusing on escaping rather than fighting. With DP and JP, you can often kite a determined Derplord right back to your DPS or heals where you can turn the fight around.

You can melt faces in WFs as an Inq, but not until you get the instincts for positioning and ability usage. This means you have to take your lumps (one of the reasons I recommend stacking END and going 4 Just until you get mid range gear). And even then there will be times when you face good players or teams that you simply have to accept will ruin your fun. Equal geared and experienced Rogue and Warrior DPS are going to be tough to beat. Learn to survive and learn to target assist.

Proof/Ego Screenshots
    Inquisitor PvP-ss2.jpgInquisitor PvP-ss3.jpgInquisitor PvP-ss4.jpgInquisitor PvP-ss1.jpg
    Last edited by Caeus; 06-07-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Ascendant

Inquisitor is one of the most powerful ranged spec in the entire game in Rift in PvP.
    You will need to learn how to play it right.

Personally cleric is my most used PvP calling out of all my 60s (I have them all) and all my 60s are at least rank 71 and running full warlord, inquisitor is the most flexible if not the best ranged dps spec in pvp period. Double JP alone helped me survive and demolish many many 1v2s and sometimes 1v3 (1v1 inquisitor is nearly godlike if you know how to play yes thats including facing fotm like warlords).

I personally run 61inq/11defiler/4justicar. The extra hp really helps JP scaling and JP is also one of the very few cooldowns that completely ignore pvp healing reduction.

Learn to use your fear, mezz, purge, double life, heavy dot, nysr burst, and your cc breaks. Only noob clerics let their nysyrs to get interrupted you even have a spell to prevent just that. And learn to use it and make sure your opponent wont be able to los it quickly which is another common noob inquisitor player mistake.

Good hunting.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by WarUltima View Post
    1v1 inquisitor is nearly godlike if you know how to play yes thats including facing fotm like warlords
    If you reliably solo equal geared Warlords/Sins/Paragons please post videos and share this knowledge with the rest of us. I would love to see your techniques to help improve mine. That's the weak point of my game.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    If you reliably solo equal geared Warlords/Sins/Paragons please post videos and share this knowledge with the rest of us. I would love to see your techniques to help improve mine. That's the weak point of my game.
    I dont record videos but it really isnt hard to 1v1 anything as an inquisitor. I dont know why you would have issue vs sin and paragon in the 1st place. 1 single purge destroy sin's offense completely and sin has no way to protect their buffs (fyi a sin without their poison I can spam loth resto while letting them beat on me while watching them die to scourge,vex and heretic dots while making funny emote at them),

Paragon is only fearsome when they go alacrity on you (it only lasts for 10 seconds) which is easily mitigated by fear and mezz and worse case you pop a JP for it and after that paragon is a free kill.

Warlord is a bit trickier which cant be easily explained as it all depend on if they are full WL or a WL hybrid.

My advise to you is make kalert alerts (use it if you havent) and make a subset of all "buffs" you would like to pay attention to eg, alacrity, wavelength, JP, cleanse soul, heatwave, JP, poison malice, battlefield experience, and so on.

The easiest way to deal with other callings are to know them yourself. And since I play all of them you will know what to look for. I am sure theres plenty of 1v1 inq videos you can find since I am really not a big fan of doing pvp videos since all the newbs here will tell you is "lol that guy is a noob lpolololol thats why u won" which makes it a huge waste of my time.
    Last edited by WarUltima; 06-07-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Champion of Telara

I barely have time to play my own, but I have been mulling installing KAlerts for a while, but have been too lazy. I have a lot of trouble keeping up with the kind of damage those specs can do. But it is usually my own choice if I want to fight them, I can almost always just get away. Do you play NA, I'd like to look for you in some WFs and watch how you play. I am always looking to improve.

http://www.twitch.tv/sinecru/c/4394446

linking this just to show the gadgets: buff icons addon (secondary addon for gadgets) that i use to track dots and stacks. i'm not the best inq, i only play it like once a month, and this was with a more tanky spec that isn't really dps oriented, but i'm using ahov's suggested pve spec now.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#nGaGyGllkBh0/lgA/rg this was the spec from the video

pick up the addon and add everything to it, helps a lot with maintaining dps, especially in pvp. the pve spec is definitely a lot better in terms of dps, i did end a heal stalemate yesterday in a black garden with my meter having me at 2300dps after ~1.9m damage done in the warfront.

make use of your purges and jp vs rogues and you should be fine. only the best rogues/warriors will eat through 2x jp, especially if you're running around with 35k+ hp.

http://i.imgur.com/a2Y6u19.jpg i've had some pretty solid games as inq too with that spec above.
    Last edited by ecru; 06-07-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

this thread has made me give a little bit more thought towards inquisitor in pvp and i think this might be a very solid pure dps spec. i picked up this spec in a few discussions around the cleric boards so i can't directly take credit for it.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#U8q/nGaGyGllkBh0/Yt0

you're going to lose dark passage and some dot damage, but the logic behind this spec in pvp for me is as follows:

1. an extra 70 endurance from boon of vitality, which is a big plus to me as your hp pool directly effects your healing and survivability due to judicial privilege being percentage based

2. wasting insignia and inspiration of battle. wasting insignia is definitely worth casting, only needs to be applied once, and seems to be only a minor dps loss over dark water/darkness. this makes for better target switching as you have less build up time, and the extra 225 spell power is worth more in pvp than it is in pve, due to the lower amount of wisdom and spell power on pvp gear in general. it's also a raid buff, so you're bumping up everyone else's dps too, and as long as you cast wasting insignia at least once every 20 seconds, it's going to be up all of the time.

3. extra buffs in general to protect against purges with eob and iob from the oracle tree. for those who don't know, buffs are purged off in the order they're casted, and with 11cab/4 defiler, your only real protection before getting a useful buff purged off is shroud of agony, which you may not even choose to use to make sure trepidation isn't broken immediately by shroud of agony's pbaoe damage. if you cast inspiration of battle and boon of vitality first before rage blight and armor of awakening, they'll be purged off first, blocking your most important buffs from being purged off by another inquisitor or marksman in one gcd.

with inspiration of battle up, you would probably want to always start your opening rotation in pvp with wasting insignia to get the 225 sp buff up, then scourge to get your synergy crystal damage buff up, followed by everything else.
    Last edited by ecru; 06-07-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

caeus super good

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    this thread has made me give a little bit more thought towards inquisitor in pvp and i think this might be a very solid pure dps spec. i picked up this spec in a few discussions around the cleric boards so i can't directly take credit for it.

you're going to lose dark passage and some dot damage, but the logic behind this spec in pvp for me is as follows:

1. an extra 70 endurance from boon of vitality, which is a big plus to me as your hp pool directly effects your healing and survivability due to judicial privilege being percentage based

2. wasting insignia and inspiration of battle. wasting insignia is definitely worth casting, only needs to be applied once, and seems to be only a minor dps loss over dark water/darkness. this makes for better target switching as you have less build up time, and the extra 225 spell power is worth more in pvp than it is in pve, due to the lower amount of wisdom and spell power on pvp gear in general. it's also a raid buff, so you're bumping up everyone else's dps too, and as long as you cast wasting insignia at least once every 20 seconds, it's going to be up all of the time.

3. extra buffs in general to protect against purges with eob and iob from the oracle tree. for those who don't know, buffs are purged off in the order they're casted, and with 11cab/4 defiler, your only real protection before getting a useful buff purged off is shroud of agony, which you may not even choose to use to make sure trepidation isn't broken immediately by shroud of agony's pbaoe damage. if you cast inspiration of battle and boon of vitality first before rage blight and armor of awakening, they'll be purged off first, blocking your most important buffs from being purged off by another inquisitor or marksman in one gcd.

with inspiration of battle up, you would probably want to always start your opening rotation in pvp with wasting insignia to get the 225 sp buff up, then scourge to get your synergy crystal damage buff up, followed by everything else.
    I have been trying to find something good to mix with Oracle and full Inq. I agree that Wasting Insignia is a must have for it to work.

For something completely oddball but surprisingly good at killing, try 41 Oracle/28 Justicar/7 Inquisitor. http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#r...Yr2GaBa5gEw/nA. Awesome burst, most raid buffs, and 45,000 HPs ftw.

Basically use all Oracle abilities but mix in Hammer of Duty at 7 convictions. Use Bolt of Radiance on cooldown to get convictions faster. But otherwise stick to Oracle damage for the lower GCD. I've been playing around with this a bit lately. The hardest part is having to remember to cast EoI before HoD to maximize damage. You won't have Inq level sustained damage, but you'll do an amazing burst every minute.
    Last edited by Caeus; 06-07-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Champion of Telara

I have never been able to do that strafe kiting the way you do, being able to move back while keeping enemies in front of you like that has to help a lot. I pretty much run and hop/spin to cast, which doesn't work very well anymore.

Ok this is a sample of my Inquisitor pvp. Sorry for the low quality just try to view it at 720p HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JqQ...d9K7m9&index=2

Note: I should put purge in a macro, and I forgot to use the PvP buff bloodthirsty. XD

Well I'll try to practice more currently rank 82. I just found some goods tip here. More power to all other pvp inquis.
    Last edited by Lord Omnissiah; 06-08-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Telaran

This is actually super close to the build I made/currently run as inq. Its an awesome build!

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#r...GyGllkBh0/Yr10

The point into inspiration of survival isn't that big of a deal, but I think its better then the 1% damage youd get otherwise.

Ok this is a 1v1 inquisitor pvp sample video. My enemy has 29k hp, 5k more than mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39icmRiq6M
    Last edited by Lord Omnissiah; 06-08-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Champion of Telara

Tried this with 9 Oracle, 6 Sentinel. Both End buffs stack, it gave me about 2,000 total less HPs than going 4 Justicar, but about 1,400 more than my base. I ended up around 30,500 total. With the 30% Spellpower boost I sat at 4,535 Spell Power, 4,760 with Inspiration up.

In a 1 minute parse I managed about 1,000 more DPS on the dummy with the spec than with 61 Inq|11 Cab|4 Just.

I am skeptical about not having Dark Passage, but I will try it out in some WFs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast