+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Cleric Talent Presets

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Cleric Talent Presets

Hey everyone,

As many of you know, we’re adding some new talent presets to the game. We have several of them that were determined by the contest we ran, and those will be showing up in the game in the near future. However, as several people have pointed out, the new presets don’t quite cover all of the bases. In most cases missing builds are fairly common ones, but there may be some others that just weren’t entered into the contest.

Here’s a quick list of the winning presets from the contest for Clerics:
    1. DPS: Storm Brute - Ahov
    2. DPS: Umbral Zealot - Ahov
    3. Healer: Aquamancer - Ahov
    4. Healer: Life-Linker - Usman
    5. DPS: Frozen Twister - Seshatar
    6. Healer: Dragon Lord - Burninalways

You can also take a look at the other entries to the contest here

What I’m looking for at this point are the important Cleric builds that are not currently part of the preset list (including the contest winners). Suggestions can include builds that were part of the contest, but did not win. It can also include updates to existing presets that may be close, but not quite there. You can also suggest builds that aren’t in any of these categories that you feel would be a beneficial preset for people to have access to. As a side note, you can also point out any of the existing presets that just shouldn’t be there and we will look at removing them if they’re not used or an ineffectual build.

The end result of all of this will be a few additional presets being created to fill in the gaps so the presets provide good and up-to-date builds for people to use. These suggestions don’t need to follow the contest format and can just link to a build or one of the guides in the forums if a guide exists. We’ll give credit out if an existing guide is used to create the preset.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Not sure whether it's in anything, but I know I see it referred to oftenish:

Druidicar. Justicar enough to get mien of leadership, druid enough for the greater healer, otherwise build to taste. I usually go 24 justicar but avoid all of the shield talents, and go with a 2H weapon. Mien of leadership + greater faerie healer for things like groups of elites a level above me, mien of honor plus the tank or DPS pets for other stuff.

There's also a ridiculous number of defiler/cabalist specs. One of them should probably be officially named "def/cab for cutie".
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

What I consider to be in need of presets:

Defiler - Sheridyn might be able to provide name.
    Raiding Defiler Guide
    With 61 Defiler, 10 Cabalist, 5 Inqusistor a must have.

Sentinel - Riane should be able to provide name.
    Cleric Sentinel Guide – Patch 2.3
    With 61 Sentinel, 15 Purifier, 0 Warden, guide and spec might be out of date.

Cabalist - TheGrinnz should be able to provide name.
    The Storm Legion Cabalist (updated)
    With 58 Cabalist, 14 Inquisitor, 4 Defiler

Justicar - TheGrinnz should be able to provide name.
    Cleric Tanking in Storm Legion
    With 61 Justicar, 8 Inquisitor, 7 Shaman, a must have.

Druid - Seatin might be able to provide name.
    2.3 Lazy Druid Guide: Top Solo Gameplay Spec with Extremley Competitive DPS
    With 61 Druid, 10 Shaman, 5 Inqusistor, spec might be out of date.

Any Leveling Guides of different specs would be great, from level 1-60 or 50-60.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 01-08-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Not sure whether it's in anything, but I know I see it referred to oftenish:

Druidicar. Justicar enough to get mien of leadership, druid enough for the greater healer, otherwise build to taste. I usually go 24 justicar but avoid all of the shield talents, and go with a 2H weapon. Mien of leadership + greater faerie healer for things like groups of elites a level above me, mien of honor plus the tank or DPS pets for other stuff.

There's also a ridiculous number of defiler/cabalist specs. One of them should probably be officially named "def/cab for cutie".
    I definitely support adding the druidicar spec. My friend I introduced to the game had trouble soloing around doing quests till I gave him that spec. It also allowed him to que up as DPS or Support in normal dungeons too. Its also very easy to play for new players.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I definitely support adding the druidicar spec.
    I think Druidicar is probably the single most important spec to have as a preset. Most people will not rely on presets at end game. People use presets while they are new and leveling, and questing and open world solo/duo activities are the main activities for that cohort. Druidicar is a great spec for those activities, simple to play, versatile enough to be adequate for all aspects of the game while leveling, and highly survivable, which is good for new players. With Druidicar, a tank spec, a heal spec or two, and maybe an Inquisitor and Shaman spec, the main bases are covered. TheGrinzz has a great Druidicar guide.

Also, I strongly urge you to consider dumping the special names for these presets. With 4 classes and 9 souls per class there are enough names to remember. Names like "The Umbral Zealot" add little information and just contribute to confusion among new players who misunderstand what the presets are. I think it would be better to name the presets with informative names like "Ranged DPS cleric", and let the souls retain RP-friendly names like "Inquisitor", to help new players butter understand the purpose of the preset builds.
    Last edited by Torvon; 01-08-2014 at 05:42 PM.

I think the best solo specs non SL include Druidicar and Shamicar, druidicar being the one that can handle the most bite and can also be support in five man dungeons. Defilecab or Inquisicab being the easiest for ranged solo specs for those that have SL. Having those four options as presets would be very nice two give F2P and SLers atleast 2 builds each they could utilize for easy to grab and go solo specs.

I wish cleric had a water themed ranged DPS soul (not ice...actual water spells). Would give variety to clerics and get them out of just death ranged based DPS souls and could pair nicely with warden for a solo build.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 01-08-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Xenohart

Shadowlander

Default The Phoenix Druid - A fun, versatile build from level 1 onwards...

Here's a link to my guide for this Cleric dps leveling build. The forum thread also includes a link to my detailed, point-by-point build entered into the contest. Thanks for reading!

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...fire-life.html

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

Thanks for the suggestions and links everyone. This is a big help in making sure people have some valid builds to fall back on if they're having trouble on their own.

I'll let everyone know when the new list of presets makes it out to PTS so you can take a look at what's in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    What I consider to be in need of presets:

Defiler - Sheridyn might be able to provide name.
    Raiding Defiler Guide
    With 61 Defiler, 10 Cabalist, 5 Inqusistor a must have.
    I heavily contemplated entering the preset competition with some Defiler build(s), but I ultimately decided that the preset system in place does not offer anywhere near enough space to explain the unique mechanics or gameplay style of the soul. I view the presets as something that should exist to guide new players into the game and give them builds that are effective, but also reasonably self-explanatory and straightforward to play. They are recommended builds rather than a catalog of the raiding meta, and realistically I'd never recommend Defiler to a new player outside of a Defiler/Cab AoE grinding spec.

For example, healing builds that should be included are probably as follows:
    48 Puri/28 Sent
    61 (or 58) Sentinel
    61 Warden

For players who are genuinely interested in learning how to play Defiler, the guides are out there. I'd rather people read a guide to Defiler rather than pick a preset because they see a Healer (or Damage) icon, since they're probably going to struggle immensely without some form of tutorial.
    Spence <Legit>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridyn View Post
    For players who are genuinely interested in learning how to play Defiler, the guides are out there. I'd rather people read a guide to Defiler rather than pick a preset because they see a Healer (or Damage) icon, since they're probably going to struggle immensely without some form of tutorial.
    I personally feel that the Defiler soul should be by default a Support Icon, and can't be changed to Healer or Dps Icon no matter the soul, as long as defiler has the greater amount of points spent in its soul.

I heavily contemplated entering the preset competition with some Defiler build(s), but I ultimately decided that the preset system in place does not offer anywhere near enough space to explain the unique mechanics or gameplay style of the soul. I view the presets as something that should exist to guide new players into the game and give them builds that are effective, but also reasonably self-explanatory and straightforward to play
    You have the right to pull out your guide and spec out.

However wait until they are on PTS before you make your mind up, you never know the explanation on how to play it might be good enough to keep in the game.

Even though you don't want yours in there, people are still going to use defiler either through the current preset or free build, wouldn't it be better to have your preset in their with a link to your guide so they have some concept of how to play it; instead of thinking is a pure healing role.

You yourself could at least put what you want it to say in the long run, I recommend the google spreadsheet so you can control what you want to say, and can edit at will.

Talking how defiler binds their soul to others causing great pain to yourself and how that pain can be transformed into untapped energy either through vengeance or sacrifice.
    Then about how your own pain can be unleashed to your enemies, while your allies take reinforced death energy to grant increased vitality and potential renewed life.

We all don't know how Preset system will change to accommodate player made presets, until their on PTS.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 01-12-2014 at 12:06 PM.

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11
    Rift Team

Hey all,

The first pass on the new Cleric talent presets is mostly complete at this point. Here's a quick preview of the builds that are going to be listed:

DPS
    • Storm Brute - 61 Shaman/10 Druid/5 Inq
    • Umbral Zealot - 61 Inq/10 Cab/5 Defiler
    • Frozen Twister - 51 Shaman/24 Druid/1 Defiler
    • Lawbringer - 61 Inq/8 Puri/7 Justicar
    • Holy Fire Shaman - 61 Shaman/8 Puri/7 Justicar
    • Silenus - 61 Druid/10 Shaman/5 Inq
    • Ritualist - 58 Cab/13 Inq/5 Sent
    • Druidicar - 52 Druid/16 Justicar/8 Inq
    • Soul Harvestor - 41 Cab/33 Defiler/2 Puri

Healing
    • Aquamancer - 61 Warden/11 Puri/4 Sent
    • Life Linker - 44 Defiler/28 Sent/4 Inq
    • Dragon Lord - 61 Puri/11 Sent/4 Inq
    • Deathwright - 61 Defiler/15 Puri/0 Justicar
    • Benefactor - 61 Sent/15 Puri/0 Warden

Tanking
    • Seraphic Guard - 61 Justicar/9 Shaman/6 Inq

These should show up on PTS once the initial update containing the 2.6 content happens. Feel free to take a deeper look into these then. Feedback on these is welcome at any point though so feel free to point out any builds I may have missed or if I botched one of them.

Ascendant

I don't quite understand the 61 Defiler/15 Purifier. What is the purpose of that point spread? Higher synergy at minimum includes Inquisitor for pushback reduction and 10% SP. The other soul is optional depending on the encounter but 9inq/6 sent would be the Jack-of-all-trades Defiler spec, particularly for faster-paced group content where mobs aren't alive long enough to fully benefit from Dark Water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    I don't quite understand the 61 Defiler/15 Purifier. What is the purpose of that point spread? Higher synergy at minimum includes Inquisitor for pushback reduction and 10% SP. The other soul is optional depending on the encounter but 9inq/6 sent would be the Jack-of-all-trades Defiler spec, particularly for faster-paced group content where mobs aren't alive long enough to fully benefit from Dark Water.
    Pretty much what Ahov said with respect to pushback reduction. Pushback kills defiler dps and correspondingly healing because you build your foul growth slower. I like the 9inqui/6 sent version the best for general use and I soloed with my cleric alt from 50-60 in that spec because it could play well in open world and in dungeons.
    Xenohart

My only response to this would be 61 Puri is called "Dragon Lord"? As a fire based healing spec, wouldn't something like "Phoenix Acolyte" be more flavor accurate?
    "In the land of the terribles, the mediocre is king."

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #15
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    I'll update the Defiler build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast