+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why does Sanction Heretic have a cooldown?

Default Why does Sanction Heretic have a cooldown?

I feel like this is a relic of pre-SL rift. Is there still a legitimate reason it has a cooldown? With bolt of judgment instant you're not exactly gonna spam this for LaDC stacks. It's just very annoying when you have to target switch or something and you want your dots to line up together.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Probably to limit the potential DPS gain of multi-DoTting.

Do what everyone else does and just macro it in with BoJ.

That way it's kind of nice that it has a cooldown. Saves you a hotbar slot.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post

^^^^^This.

Rift Chaser

And clip the dot after radical coalescence? No thanks. Inquisitor played properly should not involve a single macro (except for focus target macros ).
    Last edited by THEFUNKBOT; 11-20-2013 at 08:14 AM.

I actually don't macro anything for inquisitor because I think it's important to manage sanction heretic for the dep - nysyr's - SH - dep combo for maximum echoing concords
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 11-20-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFUNKBOT View Post
    And clip the dot after radical coalescence? No thanks. Inquisitor played properly should not involve a single macro (except for focus target macros ).
    That's not even a DPS loss. Or at most it's like 600 damage once every two minutes. AKA five DPS. Not five percent. Just five. Five DPS is worth an extra keybind? You can find something better to brag about than being inefficient with your interface.

Rift Chaser

That's not even a DPS loss. Or at most it's like 600 damage once every two minutes. AKA five DPS. Not five percent. Just five. Five DPS is worth an extra keybind? You can find something better to brag about than being inefficient with your interface.
    600 damage? Where are you getting that number? The dot on my sanction heretic does about 10k damage, so thats more like a 100 dps loss. And I don't see how my interface could be inefficient considering that even without any spam macros, inquisitor doesnt even have enough abilities to fill up all my bars, and thats with separate macro's for maintaining dots on my focus.

http://puu.sh/5o5ly.jpg

Is that too much to handle?
    Last edited by THEFUNKBOT; 11-20-2013 at 08:44 AM.

600 damage? Where are you getting that number? The dot on my sanction heretic does about 10k damage, so thats more like a 100 dps loss. And I don't see how my interface could be inefficient considering that even without any spam macros, inquisitor doesnt even have enough abilities to fill up all my bars, and thats with separate macro's for maintaining dots on my focus.

http://puu.sh/5o5ly.jpg

Is that too much to handle?
    But "clipping" the DOT doesn't cause it to drop. At most - with the unluckiest timing - you miss one tick. On average you miss half a tick.

Half a tick of a weak DOT, every two minutes. It's trivial. Accessible keybinds are valuable, you shouldn't be so wasteful with them.

Rift Chaser

But "clipping" the DOT doesn't cause it to drop. At most - with the unluckiest timing - you miss one tick. On average you miss half a tick.

Half a tick of a weak DOT, every two minutes. It's trivial. Accessible keybinds are valuable, you shouldn't be so wasteful with them.
    You are clueless man. If you have just put up sanction heretic, and then you reset your cooldowns and go back to pressing your spam macro, sanction heretic will be reapplied and you lose ALL of those ticks. Not just 1. Admittedly that is the worst case scenario; usually you will be clipping about half of the dot, so maybe a 50 dps loss.

And with my UI, I have far more accessible keybinds than inquisitor has abilities, as shown by my screenshot (every single button on those bars is easily accessible with my left hand).
    Last edited by THEFUNKBOT; 11-20-2013 at 08:59 AM.

You are clueless man. If you have just put up sanction heretic, and then you reset your cooldowns and go back to pressing your spam macro, sanction heretic will be reapplied and you lose ALL of those ticks. Not just 1. Admittedly that is the worst case scenario; usually you will be clipping about half of the dot, so maybe a 50 dps loss.
    It's not me who's clueless here.
    SH is ticking or it isn't.
    The only way you "lose" ticks is if it falls off.
    In your scenario it does not fall off.

But look, do what you want. I'm only objecting to your bragging.

It's not me who's clueless here.
    SH is ticking or it isn't.
    The only way you "lose" ticks is if it falls off.
    In your scenario it does not fall off.

But look, do what you want. I'm only objecting to your bragging.
    The way dot dps works isn't "it's still ticking it must be dps"; it's "how much dps can I gain per GCD". By clipping it, you gave up an extra Bolt of Judgment/Retribution, which would have been more dps for that specific GCD because there was already a Sanction on the target. Do it enough and it adds up to a noticeable dps loss.

Admittedly, though, it would only happen during Radical Coalescence. But like I said before, I have different reasons to not macro Sanction Heretic.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 11-20-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Shield of Telara

I admit it! My name is Sean and I macro Sanction Heretic to Bolt of Retribution. Don't take away the cool down.
    Undecided! P90 Cleric | 9/9 FT-EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 5/5 PB | BoB 2/4

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    The way dot dps works isn't "it's still ticking it must be dps"; it's "how much dps can I gain per GCD". By clipping it, you gave up an extra Bolt of Judgment/Retribution, which would have been more dps for that specific GCD because there was already a Sanction on the target. Do it enough and it adds up to a noticeable dps loss.

Admittedly, though, it would only happen during Radical Coalescence. But like I said before, I have different reasons to not macro Sanction Heretic.
    No, it wouldn't be more damage on that GCD. It sounds like you are forgetting that SH has direct damage in addition to its DOT. And you never give up a BoR by using SH, because SH doesn't eat a concord stack.

SH is just a pure upgrade on BoJ. Hits the same (a bit harder even), leaves a bonus DOT, doesn't eat concord, doesn't have a fly time. You want to use it ahead of BoJ whenever you can. So macro it ahead of BoJ.

Quote Originally Posted by aLittleBird View Post
    I admit it! My name is Sean and I macro Sanction Heretic to Bolt of Retribution. Don't take away the cool down.
    I do this too, actually. It's on BoR and BoJ both. But putting it ahead of BoR has a small downside - I have to watch concord stacks more closely. Sometimes it takes three casts to use two stacks, because SH came up. Putting it ahead of BoJ has no downside. Or at least you really have to contort yourself to find one.
    Last edited by Stay; 11-20-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

Yeah the reason i am sure it has a cd is that it is a direct mid-range hitting damage ability, that leaves a dot effect on the target. Though myself i macro it with scourge or vex (pre-getting scourge) more as a way of gaining space, as well as to track the duration of my dots since the durations of the dot is about equal to the abilities cd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast